* on disk encryption
@ 2012-09-15 11:54 Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2012-09-15 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: dustin.kirkland

Hey,

A common requirement that's come up in conversation a few times now is
on-disk, at-rest encryption.  Usually, this is really just about making
sure the bits on an individual disk are useless in isolation, so that
drives can be safely discarded or RMAed without compromising customer
data.

I suspect the simplest way to accomplish this would be through something
like dm-crypt.  The trick would be keeping the keys for the osd's block
device and journal elsewhere.

One option would be to use the monitor as a lock box to securely store the
disk encryption key, secured by the osd's existing cephx key is provided.
The startup scripts (triggered via upstart, sysvinit, whatever) would need
to get the keyring off the disk (separate, unencrypted partition?), get
the disk key from the monitor, set up the dm-crypt devices, mount the
osd's fs, and then start ceph-osd.  An attacker in possession of a
recovered disk would be need network connectivity to the cluster (prior to
the keys getting revoked/destroyed) in order to decrypt it.

Looking forward, another option might be to implement encryption inside
btrfs (placeholder fields are there in the disk format, introduced along
with the compression code way back when).  This would let ceph-osd handle
more of the key handling internally and do something like, say, only
encrypt the current/ and snap_*/ subdirectories.

Other ideas?  Thoughts?

sage

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2012-09-15 12:22 ` Mark Nelson
From: Mark Nelson @ 2012-09-15 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, dustin.kirkland

On 09/15/2012 06:54 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hey,
>
> A common requirement that's come up in conversation a few times now is
> on-disk, at-rest encryption.  Usually, this is really just about making
> sure the bits on an individual disk are useless in isolation, so that
> drives can be safely discarded or RMAed without compromising customer
> data.
>
> I suspect the simplest way to accomplish this would be through something
> like dm-crypt.  The trick would be keeping the keys for the osd's block
> device and journal elsewhere.

Sounds good to me.  dm-crypt can use AES-NI which seems to help out a
lot of the CPU usage front.  It'd be nice to make sure it works.

> One option would be to use the monitor as a lock box to securely store the
> disk encryption key, secured by the osd's existing cephx key is provided.
> The startup scripts (triggered via upstart, sysvinit, whatever) would need
> to get the keyring off the disk (separate, unencrypted partition?), get
> the disk key from the monitor, set up the dm-crypt devices, mount the
> osd's fs, and then start ceph-osd.  An attacker in possession of a
> recovered disk would be need network connectivity to the cluster (prior to
> the keys getting revoked/destroyed) in order to decrypt it.
>
> Looking forward, another option might be to implement encryption inside
> btrfs (placeholder fields are there in the disk format, introduced along
> with the compression code way back when).  This would let ceph-osd handle
> more of the key handling internally and do something like, say, only
> encrypt the current/ and snap_*/ subdirectories.

Sounds like this would make our code paths for btrfs and other
filesystems diverge more rather than less.  I like the idea of not
making our startup scripts that much more complicated, but what we end
up doing for xfs and others?  Would we end up having to do the startup
script path anyway or not support encryption on those FS?

> Other ideas?  Thoughts?
>
> sage

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2012-09-19  1:53 ` Dustin Kirkland
From: Dustin Kirkland @ 2012-09-19  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> A common requirement that's come up in conversation a few times now is
> on-disk, at-rest encryption.  Usually, this is really just about making
> sure the bits on an individual disk are useless in isolation, so that
> drives can be safely discarded or RMAed without compromising customer
> data.

Hi Sage,

Thanks for bringing this up on your devel list.  This is certainly
something that I experience on a daily basis around Linux storage
systems in general in the enterprise.

> I suspect the simplest way to accomplish this would be through something
> like dm-crypt.  The trick would be keeping the keys for the osd's block
> device and journal elsewhere.

Right, so using established technologies within the Linux kernel, I'd
think you should consider at least dm-crypt and eCryptfs, each of
which have their own costs and benefits.  (Full disclosure: I'm one of
the maintainers of eCryptfs).

dm-crypt is a block level encryption solution, whereas eCryptfs
handles its encryption on a per-file basis.

With dm-crypt, you must pre-allocate a disk, partition, or loopback
device, configure it using cryptsetup, LUKS, and optionally LVM,
format the partition with your filesystem of choice, and then perform
the mount of the device mapped encrypted block device to your mount
point.  The entire block device is encrypted using the same set of
keys, which cannot be easily changed or rotated.  I/O performance is
maximized if using AES-NI cryptographic acceleration on CPUs
supporting the instruction set.  Keys are loaded into LUKS and only
necessary at mount time.

eCryptfs is a layered filesystem, where one directory is mounted on
"top" of another.  The upper directory is just a virtual
representation of the files/directories, with reads and writes being
passed through the kernel and handling any decryption or encryption
before actually dealing with the real files which are written to disk
in the lower directory.  There's no need to "pre-allocate" space in a
partition, disk, or loop device, as you just use a directory in your
current filesystem, which can be any of the Linux filesystems.
Because the encryption happens on a per-file basis, you could actually
use unique or distinct keys for different files.  Some users or
processes on the local system may or may not have access to the
cryptographic keys necessary to mount, read, and write these files.
Also, incremental backups of the encrypted data is possible by using a
simple rsync or similar utility.  There is a little more overhead than
dmcrypt here, since each fread and fwrite has to perform its own
encryption, but honestly, the performance is usually quite tolerable
when encryption is essential to a given workload.  While eCryptfs does
not yet correctly leverage AES-NI, there is an patchset from Colin
King, pending approval by Tyler Hicks on the docket for the next merge
window.  (This does improve performance in some cases on modern
hardware, though there were some initial concerns about costing
performance on some older platforms that don't support AES-NI.)

> One option would be to use the monitor as a lock box to securely store the
> disk encryption key, secured by the osd's existing cephx key is provided.
> The startup scripts (triggered via upstart, sysvinit, whatever) would need
> to get the keyring off the disk (separate, unencrypted partition?), get
> the disk key from the monitor, set up the dm-crypt devices, mount the
> osd's fs, and then start ceph-osd.  An attacker in possession of a
> recovered disk would be need network connectivity to the cluster (prior to
> the keys getting revoked/destroyed) in order to decrypt it.

Yeah, so that's always the trick with a crypto solution...key
management.  You have to store the key somewhere other than on the
encrypted device to ensure the protection and integrity of the data.

Without turning this into an advertisement, my company has a
Linux-based (though proprietary) key server product in this space.
Fundamentally, you would need, as you say, a startup script with
network access to authenticate to a trusted, remote server, request
the necessary keys, have the server apply a flexible set of policies
to ensure that the key request is legitimate, and if so, return the
key material to the requesting server.  When a server is known to be
compromised, subsequent access to that key is revoked at the server,
thereby protecting access to the encrypted data.

There is an OASIS standard for such a protocol called KMIP, but it's
some 200+ pages long and there are no open implementations of KMIP
that I know of.

> Looking forward, another option might be to implement encryption inside
> btrfs (placeholder fields are there in the disk format, introduced along
> with the compression code way back when).  This would let ceph-osd handle
> more of the key handling internally and do something like, say, only
> encrypt the current/ and snap_*/ subdirectories.
>
> Other ideas?  Thoughts?
>
> sage

I love the idea of btrfs supporting encryption natively much like it
does compression.  It may be some time before that happens, so in the
meantime, I'd love to see Ceph support dm-crypt and/or eCryptfs
beneath.

Cheers,
--
Dustin Kirkland  |  Chief Technical Officer
Gazzang, Inc.

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2012-12-10  9:17   ` James Page
From: James Page @ 2012-12-10  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dustin Kirkland; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2012-12-10 15:53     ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2012-12-10 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Page, Peter Reiher; +Cc: Dustin Kirkland, Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On Monday, December 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM, James Page wrote:

> > I love the idea of btrfs supporting encryption natively much like
> > it does compression. It may be some time before that happens, so
> > in the meantime, I'd love to see Ceph support dm-crypt and/or
> > eCryptfs beneath.
>

> Has this discussion progressed into any sort of implementation yet?
> It sounds like this is going to be a key feature for users who want
> top-to-bottom encryption of data right down to the block level.

Peter is working on this now — I'll let him discuss the details. :)
-Greg

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2013-01-22 21:28       ` James Page
       [not found]         ` <CAEgPQZDqUK+MJTX3Kbpdv3ai4=5rNCrGkxi=ioLt5OzC+zi4+Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: James Page @ 2013-01-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Farnum; +Cc: Peter Reiher, Dustin Kirkland, Sage Weil, ceph-devel

* Re: on disk encryption
       [not found]         ` <CAEgPQZDqUK+MJTX3Kbpdv3ai4=5rNCrGkxi=ioLt5OzC+zi4+Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-01-23  0:02           ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-01-23  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Asghar Riahi
  Cc: James Page, Gregory Farnum, Peter Reiher, Dustin Kirkland, ceph-devel

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, Asghar Riahi wrote:
> Are you familiar with Seagate's Self Encrypting Disk (SED)?
>
> Here are some links which might be usefull:
>
> http://smb.media.seagate.com/tag/seagate-sed/
>
> http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140sp/140sp1299.pdf

Yeah!  It would be great to use this.

My understanding is that there isn't yet any support in Linux to manage
the keys.  That would be the first step before we can make the ceph
tooling configure the keys prior to mounting the osd volume(s)...

sage

> --
> Regards,
> Asghar Riahi
> Seagate Technology
> Principal Cloud Architect
> asghar.riahi@seagate.com
> (925) 683-3104
>

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM, James Page <james.page@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> in

* Re: on disk encryption
       [not found]         ` <CAEgPQZDqUK+MJTX3Kbpdv3ai4=5rNCrGkxi=ioLt5OzC+zi4+Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-01-23  0:04         ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-01-23  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Page; +Cc: Gregory Farnum, Peter Reiher, Dustin Kirkland, ceph-devel

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, James Page wrote:

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2013-01-31 23:42           ` Marcus Sorensen
From: Marcus Sorensen @ 2013-01-31 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil
  Cc: James Page, Gregory Farnum, Peter Reiher, Dustin Kirkland, ceph-devel

Yes, anyone could do this now by setting up the OSDs on top of
dm-crypted disks, correct? This would just automate the process, and
manage keys for us?

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, James Page wrote:
>> --

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2013-02-01  0:04             ` Mark Kampe
From: Mark Kampe @ 2013-02-01  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Sorensen
  Cc: Sage Weil, James Page, Gregory Farnum, Peter Reiher,
	Dustin Kirkland, ceph-devel

Correct.

I wasn't actually involved in this (or any other real) work,
but as I recall the only real trick is how much key management
you want:

   Do we want to be able to recover the key if a good disk
   is rescued from a destroyed server and added to a new
   server?

   Do we want to ensure that the keys are not persisted on
   the server, so that an entire server can be decommissioned
   without having to worry about the data being recovered
   by somebody who knows where to look?

If you are willing to keep the key on the server and lose
the data when the server fails, this is trivial.  If you
are unwilling to keep the key on the server, or if you need
the disk to remain readable after the server is lost, we
need some third party (like the monitors) to maintain the
keys.

We thought these might be important, so we were looking
at how to get the monitors to keep track of the encryption
keys.

On 01/31/2013 03:42 PM, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
> Yes, anyone could do this now by setting up the OSDs on top of
> dm-crypted disks, correct? This would just automate the process, and
> manage keys for us?

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2013-02-01  0:16               ` Marcus Sorensen
From: Marcus Sorensen @ 2013-02-01  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kampe
  Cc: Sage Weil, James Page, Gregory Farnum, Peter Reiher,
	Dustin Kirkland, ceph-devel

That's a great idea, it simplifies things for the admin and doesn't
sound too hairy on the monitor side. One alternative option is to do
it in one of the ways that ZFS does; that is you can provide a config
option that says 'get the keys from here'. For example you could set
up an https server and have ceph fetch the keys from it at start up.
Users could provide a master key for the whole pool, or per OSD, or
different keys for groups of OSDs, per the config file.

 I still like the monitor idea better, but different users may prefer
different methods, and this might be an easier solution to implement
first.

Here's some of the zfs documentation in case it sparks some other ideas.

# zfs create -o encryption=on -o
keysource=raw,https://keys.example.com/mykey tank/project/R

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/manage-zfs-encryption-1715034.html

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Mark Kampe <mark.kampe@inktank.com> wrote:
> Correct.
>
> I wasn't actually involved in this (or any other real) work,
> but as I recall the only real trick is how much key management
> you want:
>
>   Do we want to be able to recover the key if a good disk
>   is rescued from a destroyed server and added to a new
>   server?
>
>   Do we want to ensure that the keys are not persisted on
>   the server, so that an entire server can be decommissioned
>   without having to worry about the data being recovered
>   by somebody who knows where to look?
>
> If you are willing to keep the key on the server and lose
> the data when the server fails, this is trivial.  If you
> are unwilling to keep the key on the server, or if you need
> the disk to remain readable after the server is lost, we
> need some third party (like the monitors) to maintain the
> keys.
>
> We thought these might be important, so we were looking
> at how to get the monitors to keep track of the encryption
> keys.
>

> On 01/31/2013 03:42 PM, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Yes, anyone could do this now by setting up the OSDs on top of
>> dm-crypted disks, correct? This would just automate the process, and
>> manage keys for us?

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2013-02-01  0:44             ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-02-01  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Sorensen
  Cc: James Page, Gregory Farnum, Peter Reiher, Dustin Kirkland, ceph-devel

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
> Yes, anyone could do this now by setting up the OSDs on top of
> dm-crypted disks, correct? This would just automate the process, and
> manage keys for us?

That is the idea.

sage

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, James Page wrote:
> >> --

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2013-02-01  0:57               ` Neil Levine
From: Neil Levine @ 2013-02-01  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

If there are any users work for organizations which have strict
encryption or key management policies, I'd be interested to learn a
bit more about your needs to drive some of the roadmap around the
encryption features longer-term.

Neil

* Re: on disk encryption
@ 2013-02-01 15:37                 ` Christian Brunner
From: Christian Brunner @ 2013-02-01 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Levine; +Cc: ceph-devel

As a special use-case I would propose to do the encryption inside the
qemu-rbd driver (similar to the qcow2 driver). This would also encrypt the
network traffic from the KVM host to the osd.

I know that this is probably not the generic aproach for on disk
encryption, but it would provide some extra secuity for the "EBS" user.

Is there someone working on this / do others have interest in this solution?

Christian