* Add packet statistics to ipset?
@ 2013-01-23 18:19 Jonathan
From: Jonathan @ 2013-01-23 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

Hello:

How difficult would it be to add packet/byte counters to ipset?

I have a iptables ruleset that I'm looking to simplify, and I would like
to use the ipset module. However, I also have a need to collect per-host
byte counters. Currently I scrape them from the iptables output, but
with ipset this is not possible afaik. This makes the ipset module
(which I would _really_ like to use) useless for me.

I am not familiar with kernel programming, but I do know C. If it's not
too difficult, I would be very interested in helping with implementing
this, or even implementing it myself with some help.

Other options I have considered are adding some sort of ip-bitmap or
hash support to the nfacct system, or an aggregation filter module for
ulogd. From what I can tell, adding bitmaps/hashes to the nfacct system
would be much more complicated, and adding an aggregation filter to
ulogd would be far less efficient.

What do you think?

Jonathan deBoer

* Re: Add packet statistics to ipset?
@ 2013-01-23 19:20 ` Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 2013-01-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013, Jonathan wrote:

> How difficult would it be to add packet/byte counters to ipset?
>
> I have a iptables ruleset that I'm looking to simplify, and I would like to
> use the ipset module. However, I also have a need to collect per-host byte
> counters. Currently I scrape them from the iptables output, but with ipset
> this is not possible afaik. This makes the ipset module (which I would
> _really_ like to use) useless for me.
>
> I am not familiar with kernel programming, but I do know C. If it's not too
> difficult, I would be very interested in helping with implementing this, or
> even implementing it myself with some help.
>
> Other options I have considered are adding some sort of ip-bitmap or hash
> support to the nfacct system, or an aggregation filter module for ulogd. From
> what I can tell, adding bitmaps/hashes to the nfacct system would be much more
> complicated, and adding an aggregation filter to ulogd would be far less
> efficient.

It was already requested and I'm working on it. The next ipset release
will come with counters support.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu, kadlecsik.jozsef@wigner.mta.hu
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary