* Question about driver capatibilities - triple monitor?
@ 2013-01-22  0:05 Csillag
From: Csillag @ 2013-01-22  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

I am deciding the components on a new computer, and one of the most
important requirements is to have support for three monitors, under
GNU/Linux, with open-source drivers.

I know I can do this with AMD Eyefinity, but now I am trying to build an
Intel-based system.

So, can I do this with the Intel HD 4000 system, and the current
open-source graphics drivers?

Until so far, I thought that even though running 3 displays is supported by
HD4000, to really use this, two of the monitors has to be connected via
DisplayPort. ( See this FAQ:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intelhdgraphics4000_2500/sb/CS-033714.htm)

Unfortunately, I could not find any LGA1155 motherboards that have more
than one DisplayPort outputs.

But now, thanks to GIGABYTE's PR about Thunderbolt and 4K (
http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/323/4k.html ), I realized that it might
be possible to use a "DisplayPort to Dual-DisplayPort Adapter" to split a
DisplayPort 1.1 output into two channels, and drive two monitors from
there. (Of course the resolution is limited, but 1920 x 1200 is just what I
need.)

And then using a second port (DVI or HDMI), I could add the third monitor.

Is this supported by the hardware? (I mean on motherboards with Intel
7-series chipsets, and with DisplayPort outputs.) Is this supported by the
software?

Thank you for explaining:

    Kristof Csillag