* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
@ 2013-01-28 16:53 Rami Rosen
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Rami Rosen @ 2013-01-28 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi everyone,
You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
implementation details as well as the theory behind it:
http://media.wix.com/ugd//295986_931b8bcf34d93419d46e05b5aa5d0216.pdf

I believe that developers/sysadmins/researchers/students may find help with it.

regards,
Rami Rosen

http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
@ 2013-01-28 20:30 ` Román
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Román @ 2013-01-28 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

El 28/01/13 17:53, Rami Rosen escribi?:
> Hi everyone,
> You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
> pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
> implementation details as well as the theory behind it:
> http://media.wix.com/ugd//295986_931b8bcf34d93419d46e05b5aa5d0216.pdf
>
> I believe that developers/sysadmins/researchers/students may find help with it.
>

> regards,
> Rami Rosen
>
> http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

Thank you for share it. It seem very interesting.

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
@ 2013-01-28 22:38   ` Thiago Peixoto
From: Thiago Peixoto @ 2013-01-28 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Great! Thank you!

2013/1/28 Rom?n <roman@mailoo.org>

> El 28/01/13 17:53, Rami Rosen escribi?:
> > Hi everyone,
> > You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
> > pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
> > implementation details as well as the theory behind it:
> > http://media.wix.com/ugd//295986_931b8bcf34d93419d46e05b5aa5d0216.pdf
> >
> > I believe that developers/sysadmins/researchers/students may find help
> with it.
> >

> > regards,
> > Rami Rosen
> >
> > http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
@ 2013-01-28 23:48 ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2013-01-28 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Rami Rosen <roszenrami@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
> pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
> implementation details as well as the theory behind it:
> http://media.wix.com/ugd//295986_931b8bcf34d93419d46e05b5aa5d0216.pdf
>
> I believe that developers/sysadmins/researchers/students may find help
> with it.
>

> regards,
> Rami Rosen
>
> http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

Thank you
Warm Regards
Anuz
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
@ 2013-01-29  5:49 ` Mandeep Sandhu
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Mandeep Sandhu @ 2013-01-29  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Rami Rosen <roszenrami@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
> pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
> implementation details as well as the theory behind it:
> http://media.wix.com/ugd//295986_931b8bcf34d93419d46e05b5aa5d0216.pdf

Thanks for your effort Rami. Really appreciate it.

Regards,
-mandeep

> I believe that developers/sysadmins/researchers/students may find help with it.
>

> regards,
> Rami Rosen
>
> http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-01-29  7:44 ` Mulyadi Santosa
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2013-01-29  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Rami Rosen <roszenrami@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
> pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
> implementation details as well as the theory behind it:

Rami, I really appreciate your open publication. Thumbs up!

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
@ 2013-01-29  9:00   ` Srinidhi K V
From: Srinidhi K V @ 2013-01-29  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks Rami. It is helpful for many newbies like me.

Regards,
Srinidhi

@ 2013-01-29  9:23   ` anish singh
From: anish singh @ 2013-01-29  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Rami Rosen <roszenrami@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
>> pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
>> implementation details as well as the theory behind it:
Though I am not a networking guy but this detailed tome is really good but
unfortunately we don't have same for many other systems such as scheduler
and workqueues.
Probably it is because these systems keep on evolving and there are many LOC
added on a daily basis.

> Rami, I really appreciate your open publication. Thumbs up!
>
> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
> Freelance Linux trainer and consultant
>
> blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
> training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-01-29 10:41 ` Gabor Podri
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gabor Podri @ 2013-01-29 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Rami,

it is great stuff. Thank you for sharing it!

regards,
podri

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
@ 2013-01-29 13:12   ` Luis Valdés
From: Luis Valdés @ 2013-01-29 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

Thanks for the link, great document to study.

2013/1/29 Gabor Podri <podrigabor@gmail.com>

> Hi Rami,
>
> it is great stuff. Thank you for sharing it!
>
> regards,
> podri

Atentamente.
Luis Valdes
luisvaldes88 at gmail.com
(0994) 205 781
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-01-30  9:26 ` 卜晖
From: 卜晖 @ 2013-01-30  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thank you for sharing!

2013/1/29 Rami Rosen <roszenrami@gmail.com>

> Hi everyone,
> You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
> pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
> implementation details as well as the theory behind it:
> http://media.wix.com/ugd//295986_931b8bcf34d93419d46e05b5aa5d0216.pdf
>
> I believe that developers/sysadmins/researchers/students may find help
> with it.
>

> regards,
> Rami Rosen
>
> http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-01-30 15:44 ` shubham
From: shubham @ 2013-01-30 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks for sharing the document.

I hope we could have such documents for other subsystems as well.

Regards
Shubham

@ 2013-01-30 19:21   ` Rami Rosen
From: Rami Rosen @ 2013-01-30 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

HI,
I will try to write something for Linux Filesystems  (and maybe for
other subsystems) but this will probably take a lot of time.

@ 2013-01-31 18:58     ` shubham
From: shubham @ 2013-01-31 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks Rami,

I am also trying to understand ext3 and write some document for the same.

Regards
Shubham

@ 2013-01-31 20:45       ` Rami Rosen
From: Rami Rosen @ 2013-01-31 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
Have you considered to start with ext4?
it seems that ext3, ext2 are a bit out of fashion,

@ 2013-02-01 11:38         ` Kaushal Billore
From: Kaushal Billore @ 2013-02-01 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hey,
Thanks for such sharing document.

@ 2013-02-02  9:43         ` Shubham Sharma
From: Shubham Sharma @ 2013-02-02  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

I understand that ext2 and ext3 are kind of obsolete now. But AFAIK, there
is not much difference in ext3 and ext4.

Moreover for a newbie , it is better to start with ext3. What you think ?

Regards
Shubham

@ 2013-02-02 16:26           ` Rami Rosen
From: Rami Rosen @ 2013-02-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
> ext2 and ext3 are kind of obsolete now.

Indeed, ext4 was integrated into Linux kernel back in 2008.
Amongs its known features which do not exist in ext3 are support for
huge files (like   1 EB (exabyte or somtimes termed exbibyte); 1 EB is
 1024 PB (petabyte) whereas
1 PB is  1024 TB (terabyte).
a directory can contain a maximum of 64,000 subdirectories (whereas we
have 32,000 in ext3)
Amongst its other features are Journal checksumming, Multiblock
allocator, Faster file system checking and more.

If you prefer to start with simpler implementations, ext3 is of course
simpler, and of course ext2 is even simpler than ext3.

But in case you intend to start with ext2/ext3, and later perform
a pass on all your documentation to update it to ext4, take into
consideration that this will take quite a time; depending on how deep
you intend to delve into implementation details.

Good luck!

Regards,
Rami Rosen
http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Shubham Sharma

                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-02-04  3:55 ` Peter Teoh
From: Peter Teoh @ 2013-02-04  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Good sharing and info.   I thought it is also useful to share your lectures
materials at:

http://www.haifux.org/rami_rosen.html

which I must highlight has lots of work done since 2007.   Keep up the good
work!!

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Rami Rosen <roszenrami@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> You can find here an up to date and detailed document in pdf (178
> pages) about Linux Kernel Networking; going deep into design and
> implementation details as well as the theory behind it:
> http://media.wix.com/ugd//295986_931b8bcf34d93419d46e05b5aa5d0216.pdf
>
> I believe that developers/sysadmins/researchers/students may find help
> with it.
>

> regards,
> Rami Rosen
>
> http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

Peter Teoh

@ 2013-02-04  5:10             ` Peter Teoh
From: Peter Teoh @ 2013-02-04  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

generally, anything u write for ext2, should still be valid for ext3, and
ext4. in the sense that the features are backward compatible.   sizing
limits may have increased, but OLD working mechanism should still be
valid....except for some.

so ext2 fs should still be mountable as ext4, but not vice versa, once some
flag is enabled (I think it is xattr).  and if the flag is not enabled, and
the journal logs is clean, then ext4 fs is also mountable as ext2 fs:

http://superuser.com/questions/408822/ext4-converted-mounted-as-ext2

http://computer-forensics.sans.org/blog/2011/06/14/digital-forensics-mounting-dirty-ext4-filesystems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes

@ 2013-02-04  5:21   ` Peter Teoh
From: Peter Teoh @ 2013-02-04  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

http://www.haifux.org/lectures.html

This link has even more lectures.

@ 2013-02-04 13:49               ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2013-02-04 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

(Why is this a top-posted message thread?  Please stop creating these.)

Only the first link says that the ext2 driver can mount a ext4 filesystem (if the journal is clean).  I'm confident that is wrong.  Ext4 has several on-disk features that are not backward compatible.  There is a binary set of flags which is set at mkfs time as to which of those features were enabled by mkfs.ext4.

A ext3 doc would only describe a ext4 filesystem with all of those flags off.

Thus a ext3 doc describing the on disk structure is not a waste of time, but it becomes a subset of a full ext4 doc describing the on disk structure.

I would recommend that documenting that set of flags be the first documentation effort.

Greg

@ 2013-02-04 21:38                 ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2013-02-04 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I took a minute to find the list of flags:

Look for s_feature_incompat and s_feature_ro_compat at

   https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Disk_Layout

The incompat flags are of most interest for the discussion.  If any of
those are set, neither the ext2 nor the ext3 driver can mount the
filesystem unless they have been extended to support these features:

===
Incompatible feature set. If the kernel or fsck doesn't understand one
of these bits, it should stop.

Any of:
0x1	Compression (INCOMPAT_COMPRESSION).
0x2	Directory entries record the file type. See ext4_dir_entry_2 below
(INCOMPAT_FILETYPE).
0x4	Filesystem needs recovery (INCOMPAT_RECOVER).
0x8	Filesystem has a separate journal device (INCOMPAT_JOURNAL_DEV).
0x10	Meta block groups. See the earlier discussion of this feature
(INCOMPAT_META_BG).
0x40	Files in this filesystem use extents (INCOMPAT_EXTENTS).
0x80	Enable a filesystem size of 2^64 blocks (INCOMPAT_64BIT).
0x100	Multiple mount protection. Not implemented (INCOMPAT_MMP).
0x200	Flexible block groups. See the earlier discussion of this
feature (INCOMPAT_FLEX_BG).
0x400	Inodes can be used for large extended attributes
(INCOMPAT_EA_INODE). (Not implemented?)
0x1000	Data in directory entry (INCOMPAT_DIRDATA). (Not implemented?)
0x2000	Never used (INCOMPAT_BG_USE_META_CSUM). Probably free.
0x4000	Large directory >2GB or 3-level htree (INCOMPAT_LARGEDIR).
0x8000	Data in inode (INCOMPAT_INLINE_DATA).

==

Greg

Greg Freemyer
Intelligent Avatar Corporation