* [Xenomai] [FOR TESTING] I-pipe for 3.8-rc6-x86
@ 2013-02-05 21:09 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2013-02-05 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai

Hi,

to move forward with our kernel support, I've started porting I-pipe to
upcoming 3.8. The result survived a very basic test in a VM, more
torturing is definitely required. In case someone already wants to have
a look or start porting other archs:

  git://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-jki next-x86
  (Note: "next" branches may be rebased without warning)

Xenomai generates minor troubles while building. PCI drivers seem to
require some massaging, and we get an ugly warning of Kconfig on every
build:

drivers/pcmcia/Kconfig:20:error: recursive dependency detected!
drivers/pcmcia/Kconfig:20:      symbol PCMCIA depends on PCCARD
drivers/pcmcia/Kconfig:5:       symbol PCCARD depends on HOTPLUG
init/Kconfig:1261:      symbol HOTPLUG is selected by PM_SLEEP_SMP
kernel/power/Kconfig:98:        symbol PM_SLEEP_SMP depends on PM_SLEEP
kernel/power/Kconfig:94:        symbol PM_SLEEP depends on HIBERNATE_CALLBACKS
kernel/power/Kconfig:21:        symbol HIBERNATE_CALLBACKS is selected by XEN_SAVE_RESTORE
arch/x86/xen/Kconfig:40:        symbol XEN_SAVE_RESTORE depends on PARAVIRT_GUEST
arch/x86/Kconfig:574:   symbol PARAVIRT_GUEST depends on IPIPE
kernel/ipipe/Kconfig:1: symbol IPIPE is selected by XENOMAI
init/Kconfig:1765:      symbol XENOMAI depends on INPUT_PCSPKR
drivers/input/misc/Kconfig:96:  symbol INPUT_PCSPKR depends on INPUT
drivers/input/Kconfig:8:        symbol INPUT is selected by VT
drivers/tty/Kconfig:1:  symbol VT is selected by FB_STI
drivers/video/Kconfig:680:      symbol FB_STI depends on FB
drivers/video/Kconfig:36:       symbol FB is selected by DRM_KMS_HELPER
drivers/gpu/drm/Kconfig:28:     symbol DRM_KMS_HELPER is selected by DRM_UDL
drivers/gpu/drm/udl/Kconfig:1:  symbol DRM_UDL depends on USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD
drivers/usb/Kconfig:82: symbol USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD depends on PCMCIA

This may be a false positive of Kbuild, need to dig deeper. It is
definitely harmless, just ugly.

So far,
Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SDP-DE

* Re: [Xenomai] [FOR TESTING] I-pipe for 3.8-rc6-x86
@ 2013-02-06 16:18 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2013-02-06 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Xenomai

On 2013-02-05 22:09, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to move forward with our kernel support, I've started porting I-pipe to
> upcoming 3.8. The result survived a very basic test in a VM, more
> torturing is definitely required. In case someone already wants to have
> a look or start porting other archs:
>
>   git://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-jki next-x86
>   (Note: "next" branches may be rebased without warning)
>
> Xenomai generates minor troubles while building. PCI drivers seem to
> require some massaging, and we get an ugly warning of Kconfig on every
> build:

Brief update:
 - Xenomai patches for those two issues are now in my for-upstream
   queue (git.xenomai.org/xenomai-jki).
 - Xenomai's FPU switching collides with the new eager FPU management
   of the kernel.
   This affects only recent Intel CPUs with xsave support and a can be
   avoided by disabling this method for now ("eagerfpu=off" kernel
   parameter). I'm looking into fixing this properly.

Besides this, at least x86-64 works well. I still need to check 32-bit,
though.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SDP-DE