* Wifi basics documents
@ 2013-02-08  6:55 ` Onteddu Slreddy
From: Onteddu Slreddy @ 2013-02-08  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev, linux-can, linux-kernel, e1000-devel, linux-usb,
	linux-wireless, ath9k-devel, wil6210, brcm80211-dev-list,
	devicetree-discuss

Hello All,

I recently joined this group the group.

Can anybody suggest me places where I can get Documents which will explain
wifi  Architecture in brief i would like to know details like

In Linux for embedded systems:
        What is the software architecture for wifi
        What are each folders in kernel/net and kernel/drivers/net refer to
        What is wpa_supplicant how to know which version I have to use
        How to get  familiar with words like nl802.11, mac802.11, wext,
copat-wireless, compatwireless-openmac
        If I have to add a new chip driver what are the checklist points i
have to see

My Quesitions may be basic kindly bare with me
If any body have self prepared documents that will be great help for me

Thanks & Regards

O S L Reddy
slreddy88@gmail.com

Free Next-Gen Firewall Hardware Offer
http://p.sf.net/sfu/sophos-d2d-feb

* [ath9k-devel] Wifi basics documents
@ 2013-02-08  6:55 ` Onteddu Slreddy

slreddy88 at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Re: Wifi basics documents
  (?)
@ 2013-02-08  8:34   ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2013-02-08  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Onteddu Slreddy
  Cc: netdev, linux-can, linux-kernel, e1000-devel, linux-usb,

On 02/08/2013 07:55 AM, Onteddu Slreddy wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I recently joined this group the group.
>
> Can anybody suggest me places where I can get Documents which will explain
> wifi  Architecture in brief i would like to know details like
>
> In Linux for embedded systems:
>         What is the software architecture for wifi
>         What are each folders in kernel/net and kernel/drivers/net refer to
>         What is wpa_supplicant how to know which version I have to use
>         How to get  familiar with words like nl802.11, mac802.11, wext,
> copat-wireless, compatwireless-openmac
>         If I have to add a new chip driver what are the checklist points i
> have to see
>
> My Quesitions may be basic kindly bare with me
> If any body have self prepared documents that will be great help for me

802.11 is a IEEE standard that is freely available for download.
Regarding Linux architecture and infrastructure there is a lot of
information to be found on wireless.kernel.org.

Regards,
Arend

From: Arend van Spriel @ 2013-02-08  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Onteddu Slreddy
  Cc: netdev, linux-can, linux-kernel, e1000-devel, linux-usb,

From: Arend van Spriel @ 2013-02-08  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2013-02-08  9:53     ` sl reddy
From: sl reddy @ 2013-02-08  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel
  Cc: brcm80211-dev-list, Onteddu Slreddy, e1000-devel, netdev,
	devicetree-discuss, linux-usb, linux-wireless, linux-kernel,
	linux-can, wil6210, ath9k-devel

Hi

Thanks for reply i referred  that site (wireless.kernel.org) as you said
there is   lot of information
but i am bit confused in getting right information because i am not
interested much about hardware architecture as of now
I need clear picture of software architecture
but in the website there is lot of information so bit confused where to
start

any successions will be helpful for me

Thanks & Regards

O S L Reddy
slreddy88@gmail.com

slreddy88 at gmail.com

@ 2013-02-08 10:20       ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2013-02-08 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sl reddy
  Cc: Onteddu Slreddy, netdev, linux-can, linux-kernel, e1000-devel,
	linux-usb, linux-wireless, ath9k-devel, wil6210,

On 02/08/2013 10:53 AM, sl reddy wrote:
> any successions will be helpful for me

My *suggestion* would be:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation

For what it is worth, below is some terrible ascii art.

Gr. AvS

Fullmac model:

                 user-space (libnl)

+----------+      v
+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| fullmac  |------o netdev
| driver   |
+----------+

Softmac model:

                 user-space (libnl)

+----------+      v
+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| mac80211 |------o netdev
+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| softmac  |
| driver   |
+----------+

From: Arend van Spriel @ 2013-02-08 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sl reddy
  Cc: Onteddu Slreddy, netdev, linux-can, linux-kernel, e1000-devel,

+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| fullmac  |------o netdev
| driver   |
+----------+

Softmac model:

                 user-space (libnl)

+----------+      v
+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| mac80211 |------o netdev
+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| softmac  |
| driver   |
+----------+

From: Arend van Spriel @ 2013-02-08 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| fullmac  |------o netdev
| driver   |
+----------+

Softmac model:

                 user-space (libnl)

+----------+      v
+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| mac80211 |------o netdev
+----------+
     ^

+----------+
| softmac  |
| driver   |
+----------+

* Re: Wifi basics documents
@ 2013-02-08 10:37         ` sl reddy
From: sl reddy @ 2013-02-08 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel
  Cc: brcm80211-dev-list, Onteddu Slreddy, e1000-devel, netdev,
	devicetree-discuss, linux-usb, linux-wireless, linux-kernel,
	linux-can, wil6210, ath9k-devel

Thank you

I will start from here

Thanks & Regards