* redirect qemu-dm log to syslog
@ 2013-02-07 12:32 Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2013-02-07 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I'm search mailing list and can't see any questions and answers...
Is that possible (and how) to redirect qemu-dm output (stored in
/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-xxx.log) to syslog and not write to file?

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
Clodo.ru

* Re: redirect qemu-dm log to syslog
@ 2013-02-08 11:42 ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2013-02-08 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasiliy Tolstov; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> I'm search mailing list and can't see any questions and answers...
> Is that possible (and how) to redirect qemu-dm output (stored in
> /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-xxx.log) to syslog and not write to file?

Not easily, unless you find a way to capture QEMU's stdout and stderr
and send it to syslog using an external tool. You can replace the QEMU
binary with a script that spawns QEMU and a syslog logger to do this.

You can also play nasty tricks with preprocessor macros and turn all
QEMU's printf into syslog calls. Of course such a patch wouldn't be
acceptable upstream.

* Re: redirect qemu-dm log to syslog
@ 2013-02-08 11:46   ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2013-02-08 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: Vasiliy Tolstov, xen-devel

On 08/02/13 11:42, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>> I'm search mailing list and can't see any questions and answers...
>> Is that possible (and how) to redirect qemu-dm output (stored in
>> /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-xxx.log) to syslog and not write to file?
> Not easily, unless you find a way to capture QEMU's stdout and stderr
> and send it to syslog using an external tool. You can replace the QEMU
> binary with a script that spawns QEMU and a syslog logger to do this.
>
> You can also play nasty tricks with preprocessor macros and turn all
> QEMU's printf into syslog calls. Of course such a patch wouldn't be
> acceptable upstream.

This was attempted in XenServer, and is harder than just changing the
printf calls.  In the end we gave up and just wrapped stdout/stderr.

~Andrew