* Initramfs and systemd problems
@ 2013-02-12  9:14 Jukka Rissanen
From: Jukka Rissanen @ 2013-02-12  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

I am building a small network appliance for tethering purposes.
I do not need graphics so I removed X support, also added
systemd from meta-ivi and upgraded connman into latest
1.11 version, and also did some minor tweaks here and there.

In beagleboard, my setup works just fine.
In Intel NUC device, the system refuses to boot properly.
The reason is the init-live.sh script in initramfs image,
it expects the USB stick to be present in /media/xxx directory.

Because the base system uses systemd, the initramfs is
also using systemd but there is some things missing and
system will not automount the USB stick into /media.

Is there any possibility to avoid using systemd in initramfs
i.e., use the udev package only, or is the only option to
tweak systemd setup in initramfs? Or any other suggestion
how to fix this?

Cheers,
Jukka

* Re: Initramfs and systemd problems
@ 2013-02-12  9:35 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2013-02-12  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jukka Rissanen; +Cc: yocto

On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 at 09:14, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
> I am building a small network appliance for tethering purposes.
> I do not need graphics so I removed X support, also added
> systemd from meta-ivi and upgraded connman into latest
> 1.11 version, and also did some minor tweaks here and there.
>
> In beagleboard, my setup works just fine.
> In Intel NUC device, the system refuses to boot properly.
> The reason is the init-live.sh (http://init-live.sh) script in initramfs image,
> it expects the USB stick to be present in /media/xxx directory.
>
> Because the base system uses systemd, the initramfs is
> also using systemd but there is some things missing and
> system will not automount the USB stick into /media.
>
> Is there any possibility to avoid using systemd in initramfs
> i.e., use the udev package only, or is the only option to
> tweak systemd setup in initramfs? Or any other suggestion
> how to fix this?

I'd noticed that systemd's udev is failing to live-boot too in oe-core master (which now has integrated systemd).

I don't think its possible to build a second udev for the initramfs, and this is clearly a bug so we should figure out why it doesn't work.  Do you have any hints in your debugging as to what is broken?

Ross

* Re: Initramfs and systemd problems
@ 2013-02-12 10:14   ` Jukka Rissanen
From: Jukka Rissanen @ 2013-02-12 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton; +Cc: yocto

Hi Ross,

On 12.02.2013 11:35, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 at 09:14, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
>> I am building a small network appliance for tethering purposes.
>> I do not need graphics so I removed X support, also added
>> systemd from meta-ivi and upgraded connman into latest
>> 1.11 version, and also did some minor tweaks here and there.
>>
>> In beagleboard, my setup works just fine.
>> In Intel NUC device, the system refuses to boot properly.
>> The reason is the init-live.sh (http://init-live.sh) script in initramfs image,
>> it expects the USB stick to be present in /media/xxx directory.
>>
>> Because the base system uses systemd, the initramfs is
>> also using systemd but there is some things missing and
>> system will not automount the USB stick into /media.
>>
>> Is there any possibility to avoid using systemd in initramfs
>> i.e., use the udev package only, or is the only option to
>> tweak systemd setup in initramfs? Or any other suggestion
>> how to fix this?
>

> I'd noticed that systemd's udev is failing to live-boot too in oe-core master (which now has integrated systemd).
>
> I don't think its possible to build a second udev for the initramfs, and this is clearly a bug so we should figure out why it doesn't work.  Do you have any hints in your debugging as to what is broken?
>
> Ross

At least the systemd version in initramfs is missing

/etc/udev/rules.d/automount.rules
/etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh

that seem to be related to this issue.

Also the initializations found in /etc/init.d/udev
in the standard poky are missing in systemd version
(not sure if these are needed).

@ 2013-02-12 10:30     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2013-02-12 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jukka Rissanen; +Cc: yocto

On 12 February 2013 10:14, Jukka Rissanen
<jukka.rissanen@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> At least the systemd version in initramfs is missing
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/automount.rules
> /etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh
>
> that seem to be related to this issue.

Yeah, that would do it.  :)  That saved thirty minutes of debugging, thanks.

Ross

* Re: Initramfs and systemd problems
@ 2013-02-12 11:50       ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2013-02-12 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jukka Rissanen; +Cc: yocto

On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 at 10:30, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 12 February 2013 10:14, Jukka Rissanen
> <jukka.rissanen@linux.intel.com (mailto:jukka.rissanen@linux.intel.com)> wrote:
> > At least the systemd version in initramfs is missing
> >
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/automount.rules
> > /etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh (http://mount.sh)
> >
> > that seem to be related to this issue.
>
> Yeah, that would do it. :) That saved thirty minutes of debugging, thanks.
I can't test an image right now, but try adding a RRECOMMENDS to the udev in the systemd recipe to udev-extraconf, as that's the package which contains the mount script.

Ross

* Re: Initramfs and systemd problems
@ 2013-02-12 13:17         ` Jukka Rissanen
From: Jukka Rissanen @ 2013-02-12 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton; +Cc: yocto

On 12.02.2013 13:50, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 at 10:30, Burton, Ross wrote:
>> On 12 February 2013 10:14, Jukka Rissanen
>> <jukka.rissanen@linux.intel.com (mailto:jukka.rissanen@linux.intel.com)> wrote:
>>> At least the systemd version in initramfs is missing
>>>
>>> /etc/udev/rules.d/automount.rules
>>> /etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh (http://mount.sh)
>>>
>>> that seem to be related to this issue.
>>
>> Yeah, that would do it. :) That saved thirty minutes of debugging, thanks.
> I can't test an image right now, but try adding a RRECOMMENDS to the udev in the systemd recipe to udev-extraconf, as that's the package which contains the mount script.
>
> Ross

Thanks Ross!

Adding

RRECOMMENDS_${PN} = "udev-extraconf"

to my systemd_git.bbappend allowed the device to boot.

Probably unrelated but I cannot input anything in the console anymore,
console output is ok thou. I have to figure out why.

I noticed one path issue in init-live.sh, will send a patch about it to ml.

@ 2013-02-12 14:06           ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2013-02-12 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jukka Rissanen; +Cc: yocto

On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 at 13:17, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
> Thanks Ross!
>
> Adding
>
> RRECOMMENDS_${PN} = "udev-extraconf"
>
> to my systemd_git.bbappend allowed the device to boot.
Great.  I'll fix up systemd in oe-core, and ensure that the live initramfs has these hooks all the time as they are clearly essential.

Ross