* [Xenomai] Is CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME supported for powerpc?
@ 2013-02-27 22:43 Makarand Pradhan
From: Makarand Pradhan @ 2013-02-27 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi All,

I'm trying to use clock_gettime to read Linux time in my Xenomai task. I
may be doing something wrong, but the call fails. The code is properly
linked against the pthread_rt Xenomai library.

I'm running Linux 3.0.0, Xenomai 2.6.0 on powerpc MPC8360.

Can you pl comment if this is supported? While quickly going through the
Xenomai code I had a feeling that it was supported only for x86 and arm.

Thanks for your time.

Rgds,
Makarand.

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY:
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this
e-mail and any copies.  Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the
intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.

* Re: [Xenomai] Is CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME supported for powerpc?
@ 2013-02-27 23:01 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-02-27 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Makarand Pradhan; +Cc: xenomai

On 02/27/2013 11:43 PM, Makarand Pradhan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to use clock_gettime to read Linux time in my Xenomai task. I
> may be doing something wrong, but the call fails. The code is properly
> linked against the pthread_rt Xenomai library.
>
> I'm running Linux 3.0.0, Xenomai 2.6.0 on powerpc MPC8360.

Please, upgrade to Xenomai 2.6.2.1.

> Can you pl comment if this is supported? While quickly going through the
> Xenomai code I had a feeling that it was supported only for x86 and arm.

clocktest -C 42 -D
will answer your question:
http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.6/html/clocktest/

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Is CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME supported for powerpc?
@ 2013-02-27 23:17   ` Makarand Pradhan
From: Makarand Pradhan @ 2013-02-27 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Thanks Gilles.

Clocktest indicates:

"hostrt data area is not live"

I've turned on

CONFIG_HAVE_IPIPE_HOSTRT=y
CONFIG_XENO_OPT_HOSTRT=y

while building the kernel. I guess that's not sufficient to get it to work.

Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to 2.6.2 so will try to selectively port
the changes required for hostrt.

Warm Rgds,
Makarand.

@ 2013-02-28  5:21     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-02-28  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Makarand Pradhan; +Cc: xenomai

On 02/28/2013 12:17 AM, Makarand Pradhan wrote:

> Thanks Gilles.
>
> Clocktest indicates:
>
> "hostrt data area is not live"
>
> I've turned on
>
> CONFIG_HAVE_IPIPE_HOSTRT=y
> CONFIG_XENO_OPT_HOSTRT=y
>
> while building the kernel. I guess that's not sufficient to get it to work.

You can not really turn CONFIG_HAVE_IPIPE_HOSTRT on, it is set by the
architecture if it supports it. Supporting hostrt is more a property of
the I-pipe patch than of Xenomai. So, you would have to upgrade to a
more recent I-pipe to have this support.

> Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to 2.6.2 so will try to selectively port
> the changes required for hostrt.

2.6.2.1 is the latest release, please do not use 2.6.2. 2.6.2.1 is in
the same branch as 2.6.0, so it is completely ABI and API compatible.
Anyway, you do as you wish, but please do not expect support from us for
2.6.0.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Is CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME supported for powerpc?
@ 2013-02-28 14:57       ` Makarand Pradhan
From: Makarand Pradhan @ 2013-02-28 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

On 28/02/13 12:21 AM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> 2.6.2.1 is the latest release, please do not use 2.6.2. 2.6.2.1 is in
> the same branch as 2.6.0, so it is completely ABI and API compatible.
> Anyway, you do as you wish, but please do not expect support from us for
> 2.6.0.
Thanks Gilles. Will investigate the relevant Ipipe pathes to check
support for powerpc.

@ 2013-02-28 20:03         ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-02-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Makarand Pradhan; +Cc: xenomai

On 02/28/2013 03:57 PM, Makarand Pradhan wrote:

> On 28/02/13 12:21 AM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> 2.6.2.1 is the latest release, please do not use 2.6.2. 2.6.2.1 is in
>> the same branch as 2.6.0, so it is completely ABI and API compatible.
>> Anyway, you do as you wish, but please do not expect support from us for
>> 2.6.0.
> Thanks Gilles. Will investigate the relevant Ipipe pathes to check
> support for powerpc.

All old I-pipe patches should work with the latest version of xenomai,
though as I said, whether CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME work probably depends more
on the I-pipe patch.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Is CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME supported for powerpc?
@ 2013-02-28 20:20         ` Makarand Pradhan
From: Makarand Pradhan @ 2013-02-28 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Hi,

I was able to backport the ipipe hostrt changes to get it working on
Xenomai 2.6.0 on powerpc.

For those interested, the patch is attached to this email.

clocktest is working for CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME on powerpc, Xenomai 2.6.0,
linux 3.0.0.

root@ruggedcom:~/xenotest# ./clocktest -C 42 -D
hostrt data area is live
Sequence counter : 14731352
wall_time_sec    : 946709712
wall_time_nsec   : 323671313
wall_to_monotonic
           tv_sec : -946702301
          tv_nsec : 7646973
cycle_last       : 495026354244
mask             : 0xffffffffffffffff
mult             : 62914561
shift            : 22

== Tested clock: 42 (CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME)
CPU      ToD offset [us] ToD drift [us/s]      warps max delta [us]
   0                  0.0            0.000          0            0.0

Thanks for all your help.

Warm Rgds,
Makarand.