* OpenStack summit : Ceph design session
@ 2013-02-23 10:33 Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2013-02-23 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development

In anticipation of the next OpenStack summit http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/, I proposed a session to discuss OpenStack and Ceph integration. Our meeting during FOSDEM earlier this month was a great experience although it was planned at the last minute. I hope we can organize something even better for the summit.

For developers and contributors to both Ceph and OpenStack such as myself, it would be a great opportunity to figure out a sensible roadmap for the next six months. I realize this roadmap is already clear for Josh Durgin and other Ceph / OpenStack developers who are passionately invested in both projects for a long time. However I am new to both projects and such a session would be a precious guide and highly motivating.

http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/38

What do you think ?

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: OpenStack summit : Ceph design session
@ 2013-02-24 17:05 ` Sébastien Han
From: Sébastien Han @ 2013-02-24 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi,

I would love to have such discussion. I think it's a good initiative.

Cheers.
Sébastien Han.

@ 2013-02-24 23:16 ` Josh Durgin
From: Josh Durgin @ 2013-02-24 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 02/23/2013 02:33 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In anticipation of the next OpenStack summit http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/, I proposed a session to discuss OpenStack and Ceph integration. Our meeting during FOSDEM earlier this month was a great experience although it was planned at the last minute. I hope we can organize something even better for the summit.
>
> For developers and contributors to both Ceph and OpenStack such as myself, it would be a great opportunity to figure out a sensible roadmap for the next six months. I realize this roadmap is already clear for Josh Durgin and other Ceph / OpenStack developers who are passionately invested in both projects for a long time. However I am new to both projects and such a session would be a precious guide and highly motivating.
>
> http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/38
>
> What do you think ?

Sounds like a great idea!
Thanks for putting together the session!

Josh

* Re: OpenStack summit : Ceph design session
@ 2013-02-25  6:12   ` Neil Levine
From: Neil Levine @ 2013-02-25  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Durgin; +Cc: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

Thanks for taking the lead on this Loic.

As a blueprint, I'd like to look at RBD backups to secondary clusters
within Openstack. Nick Barcet and others have mentioned ideas for this
now that Cinder is multi-cluster aware.

Neil

@ 2013-02-25  9:34   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2013-02-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Durgin; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 02/25/2013 12:16 AM, Josh Durgin wrote:
> On 02/23/2013 02:33 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In anticipation of the next OpenStack summit http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/, I proposed a session to discuss OpenStack and Ceph integration. Our meeting during FOSDEM earlier this month was a great experience although it was planned at the last minute. I hope we can organize something even better for the summit.
>>
>> For developers and contributors to both Ceph and OpenStack such as myself, it would be a great opportunity to figure out a sensible roadmap for the next six months. I realize this roadmap is already clear for Josh Durgin and other Ceph / OpenStack developers who are passionately invested in both projects for a long time. However I am new to both projects and such a session would be a precious guide and highly motivating.
>>
>> http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/38
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>

> Sounds like a great idea!
> Thanks for putting together the session!

Great :-) Are there blueprints you would like to see in this session beside those you're currently working on ?

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/flexible-block-device-config
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/block-mapping-model
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/improve-block-device-handling
  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/improve-boot-from-volume

Cheers

--

@ 2013-02-25 10:04     ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2013-02-25 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Levine; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Neil,

I've added "RBD backups secondary clusters within Openstack" to the list of blueprints. Do you have links to mail threads / chat logs related to this topic ?

I moved the content of the session to an etherpad for collaborative editing

https://etherpad.openstack.org/roadmap-for-ceph-integration-with-openstack

and it is now linked from

@ 2013-02-26 16:56       ` Neil Levine
From: Neil Levine @ 2013-02-26 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

It's been an embryonic internal Inktank conversation and Nick Barcet
at eNovance mentioned some ideas when we last met. Will try and put
together a blueprint soon.

Neil

@ 2013-03-03  9:37       ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2013-03-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Levine; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Neil,

I've updated http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/38 with the Geographic DR related threads

    Geo-replication with RADOS GW http://marc.info/?l=ceph-devel&m=135939566407623&w=4
    Geographic DR for RGW http://marc.info/?l=ceph-devel&m=136191479931880&w=4

I'm increasingly interested in figuring out how it fits with OpenStack.

Cheers

@ 2013-03-06 19:27         ` Neil Levine
From: Neil Levine @ 2013-03-06 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

I think the multi-site RGW stuff is somewhat orthogonal to OpenStack
where as the RBD backups needs to factor in Horizon, Cinder APIs and
where the logic for managing the backups sits.

Ross is looking to get a wiki setup for Ceph blueprints so we can
document the incremental snapshot stuff and then use this as a basis
for creating the OpenStack blueprint.

Who approves the session at ODS and when is this decision made?

Neil

@ 2013-03-06 22:45           ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2013-03-06 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Levine; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Neil,

On 03/06/2013 08:27 PM, Neil Levine wrote:
> I think the multi-site RGW stuff is somewhat orthogonal to OpenStack

Even when keystone is involved ?

> where as the RBD backups needs to factor in Horizon, Cinder APIs and
> where the logic for managing the backups sits.
>
> Ross is looking to get a wiki setup for Ceph blueprints so we can
> document the incremental snapshot stuff and then use this as a basis
> for creating the OpenStack blueprint.

Great.

> Who approves the session at ODS and when is this decision made?

I suspect Josh knows more than I do about this. During the cinder meeting earlier today J. Griffith said that if the nova track is too busy to host the "Roadmap for Ceph integration with OpenStack" session he was in favor of having it in the cinder track. Following his advice I suggested to Thierry Carrez to open a "Cross project" track ( http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-March/006365.html )

Cheers

@ 2013-03-06 23:05             ` Neil Levine
From: Neil Levine @ 2013-03-06 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@dachary.org> wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> On 03/06/2013 08:27 PM, Neil Levine wrote:
>> I think the multi-site RGW stuff is somewhat orthogonal to OpenStack
>
> Even when keystone is involved ?

Good question.

Yehuda: how would the asynchronously replicated user metadata interact
with Keystone?

>> Who approves the session at ODS and when is this decision made?
>
> I suspect Josh knows more than I do about this. During the cinder meeting earlier today J. Griffith said that if the nova track is too busy to host the "Roadmap for Ceph integration with OpenStack" session he was in favor of having it in the cinder track. Following his advice I suggested to Thierry Carrez to open a "Cross project" track ( http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-March/006365.html )

I don't think Cinder is such a bad place for it to be as presumably
the interaction to copy the block device to a secondary location would
be triggered through a Cinder API call no?

Neil

* Re: OpenStack summit : Ceph design session
@ 2013-03-06 23:12               ` Yehuda Sadeh
From: Yehuda Sadeh @ 2013-03-06 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Levine; +Cc: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Neil Levine <neil.levine@inktank.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@dachary.org> wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> On 03/06/2013 08:27 PM, Neil Levine wrote:
>>> I think the multi-site RGW stuff is somewhat orthogonal to OpenStack
>>
>> Even when keystone is involved ?
>
> Good question.
>
> Yehuda: how would the asynchronously replicated user metadata interact
> with Keystone?

Depends. Are there any special requirements? From what I understand,
you'd define the keystone backend every zone interact with per-zone,
and the fact that it's a replicated region/zone doesn't change much.

@ 2013-03-07 22:21                 ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2013-03-07 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yehuda Sadeh; +Cc: Neil Levine, Ceph Development