* i.MX6SL EVK
@ 2013-03-14 16:10 Michael Urbaniak
From: Michael Urbaniak @ 2013-03-14 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I am very interested in moving from LTIB to Yocto for an i.MX6SL project
we currently have.

Is there support at this time for the i.MX6SL-EVK?  If not I suppose I
need to learn about modifying BSP's.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Urbaniak

* Re: i.MX6SL EVK
@ 2013-03-14 16:18 ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2013-03-14 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

On 03/14/2013 01:10 PM, Michael Urbaniak wrote:
> I am very interested in moving from LTIB to Yocto for an i.MX6SL project
> we currently have.
>
> Is there support at this time for the i.MX6SL-EVK?  If not I suppose I
> need to learn about modifying BSP’s.

Not yet. But it should be something like 3 or 4 patches.

I replied almost the same question this week on imx-community, please,
take a look:
https://community.freescale.com/message/319435#319435

I can guide you

Daiane

> Any information is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike Urbaniak

Daiane

* Re: i.MX6SL EVK
@ 2013-03-14 16:44 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-03-14 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Urbaniak; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Michael Urbaniak <MikeU@ebtron.com> wrote:
> I am very interested in moving from LTIB to Yocto for an i.MX6SL project we
> currently have.

I am glad to learn it ;-)

> Is there support at this time for the i.MX6SL-EVK?  If not I suppose I need
> to learn about modifying BSP’s.

Not at this moment as said by Daiane; it shouldn't be hard but it does
need to be done.

E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br

* Re: i.MX6SL EVK
@ 2013-03-16  0:30   ` Eric Nelson
From: Eric Nelson @ 2013-03-16  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On 03/14/2013 09:44 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Michael Urbaniak <MikeU@ebtron.com> wrote:
>> I am very interested in moving from LTIB to Yocto for an i.MX6SL project we
>> currently have.
>
> I am glad to learn it ;-)
>
>> Is there support at this time for the i.MX6SL-EVK?  If not I suppose I need
>> to learn about modifying BSP’s.
>
> Not at this moment as said by Daiane; it shouldn't be hard but it does
> need to be done.

FWIW, the Yocto build for Nitrogen6X boots right up with a Solo
processor.

In order to get VPU acceleration, you'll need to copy in the
firmware file "vpu_fw_imx6d.bin" though.

The GPU seems to come right up.

* Re: i.MX6SL EVK
@ 2013-03-16 14:08     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-03-16 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Nelson; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Eric Nelson
<eric.nelson@boundarydevices.com> wrote:
> On 03/14/2013 09:44 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Michael Urbaniak <MikeU@ebtron.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am very interested in moving from LTIB to Yocto for an i.MX6SL project
>>> we
>>> currently have.
>>

>> I am glad to learn it ;-)
>>
>>> Is there support at this time for the i.MX6SL-EVK?  If not I suppose I
>>> need
>>> to learn about modifying BSP’s.
>>

>> Not at this moment as said by Daiane; it shouldn't be hard but it does
>> need to be done.
>>

> FWIW, the Yocto build for Nitrogen6X boots right up with a Solo
> processor.
>
> In order to get VPU acceleration, you'll need to copy in the
> firmware file "vpu_fw_imx6d.bin" though.
>
> The GPU seems to come right up.

We need to adapt to use the official kernel for the board.

I think it did work for your board because Boundary's U-Boot already
handles it however we currently use U-Boot 2013.01 by default here and
this still doesn't cope with the other variants of i.MX6 SoC.

What is the Boundary's plans for the kernel? A single kernel tree or
two (as done by FSL)?

@ 2013-03-16 16:00       ` Eric Nelson
From: Eric Nelson @ 2013-03-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Otavio,

On 03/16/2013 07:08 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Eric Nelson
> <eric.nelson@boundarydevices.com> wrote:
>> On 03/14/2013 09:44 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:

>>> I am glad to learn it ;-)

>>> Not at this moment as said by Daiane; it shouldn't be hard but it does
>>> need to be done.
>>>

>> FWIW, the Yocto build for Nitrogen6X boots right up with a Solo
>> processor.
>>
>> In order to get VPU acceleration, you'll need to copy in the
>> firmware file "vpu_fw_imx6d.bin" though.
>>
>> The GPU seems to come right up.
>
> We need to adapt to use the official kernel for the board.

Of course. The i.MX6SL-EVK will need both custom U-Boot and kernel.

My message was really for Nitrogen6X customers that might
be interested in evaluating the performance of Solo or Dual-Lite
CPUs.

> I think it did work for your board because Boundary's U-Boot already
> handles it however we currently use U-Boot 2013.01 by default here and
> this still doesn't cope with the other variants of i.MX6 SoC.

Yep. This is a benefit of booting to SPI-NOR.

> What is the Boundary's plans for the kernel? A single kernel tree or
> two (as done by FSL)?

Single kernel.

We did this by creating "pads-mx6_sabrelite.h" and including it
twice: once for Dual/Quad and again for Solo/Dual-Lite:
	https://github.com/boundarydevices/linux-imx6/blob/boundary-imx_3.0.35_1.1.1/arch/arm/mach-mx6/board-mx6q_sabrelite.c#L124

This allows us to boot all of our SD cards on all of our boards.

We even have a boot script for Adeneo's Windows CE7 to make it
easy to swap.

Regards,

Eric