* Latest 0.56.3 and qemu-1.4.0 and cloned VM-image producing massive fs-corruption, not crashing
@ 2013-03-22 19:09 Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-03-22 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: josh.durgin@inktank.com Durgin

Hi Josh, all,

I did not want to hijack the thread dealing with a crashing VM, but perhaps there are some common things.

Today I installed a fresh cluster with mkephfs, went fine, imported a "master" debian 6.0 image with "format 2", made a snapshot, protected it, and made some clones.
Clones mounted with qemu-nbd, fiddled a bit with IP/interfaces/hosts/net.rules…etc and cleanly unmounted, VM started, took 2 secs and the VM was up n running. Cool.

Now an ordinary shutdown was performed, made a snapshot of this image. Started again, did some "apt-get update… install s/t…".
Shutdown -> rbd rollback -> startup again -> login -> install s/t else… filesystem showed "many" ex3-errors, fell into read-only mode, massive corruption.

qemu config was with ":rbd_cache=false" if it matters. Above scenario is reproducible, and as I stated out, no crash detected.

Perhaps it is in the same area as in the crash-thread, otherwise I will provide logfiles as needed.

Kind regards,

Oliver.

* Re: Latest 0.56.3 and qemu-1.4.0 and cloned VM-image producing massive fs-corruption, not crashing
@ 2013-03-22 19:30 ` Josh Durgin
       [not found]   ` <51502118.7060906@filoo.de>
From: Josh Durgin @ 2013-03-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Francke; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 03/22/2013 12:09 PM, Oliver Francke wrote:
> Hi Josh, all,
>
> I did not want to hijack the thread dealing with a crashing VM, but perhaps there are some common things.
>
> Today I installed a fresh cluster with mkephfs, went fine, imported a "master" debian 6.0 image with "format 2", made a snapshot, protected it, and made some clones.
> Clones mounted with qemu-nbd, fiddled a bit with IP/interfaces/hosts/net.rules…etc and cleanly unmounted, VM started, took 2 secs and the VM was up n running. Cool.
>
> Now an ordinary shutdown was performed, made a snapshot of this image. Started again, did some "apt-get update… install s/t…".
> Shutdown -> rbd rollback -> startup again -> login -> install s/t else… filesystem showed "many" ex3-errors, fell into read-only mode, massive corruption.

This sounds like it might be a bug in rollback. Could you try cloning
and snapshotting again, but export the image before booting, and after
rolling back, and compare the md5sums?

Running the rollback with:

--debug-ms 1 --debug-rbd 20 --log-file rbd-rollback.log

might help too. Does your ceph.conf where you ran the rollback have
anything related to rbd_cache in it?

> qemu config was with ":rbd_cache=false" if it matters. Above scenario is reproducible, and as I stated out, no crash detected.
>
> Perhaps it is in the same area as in the crash-thread, otherwise I will provide logfiles as needed.

It's unrelated, the other thread is an issue with the cache, which does
not cause corruption but triggers a crash.

Josh

@ 2013-03-26  8:30     ` Josh Durgin
From: Josh Durgin @ 2013-03-26  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Francke; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 03/25/2013 03:04 AM, Oliver Francke wrote:
> Hi josh,
>
> logfile is attached...

Thanks. It shows nothing out of the ordinary, but I just reproduced the
incorrect rollback locally, so it shouldn't be hard to track down from
here.

I opened http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/4551 to track it.

Josh

@ 2013-03-26  8:33       ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-03-26  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Durgin; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Josh,

thanks for the quick response and...

On 03/26/2013 09:30 AM, Josh Durgin wrote:
> On 03/25/2013 03:04 AM, Oliver Francke wrote:
>> Hi josh,
>>
>> logfile is attached...
>
> Thanks. It shows nothing out of the ordinary, but I just reproduced the
> incorrect rollback locally, so it shouldn't be hard to track down from
> here.
>
> I opened http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/4551 to track it.

the good news.

Oliver.

--

Oliver Francke

filoo GmbH
Moltkestraße 25a
33330 Gütersloh
HRB4355 AG Gütersloh

Geschäftsführer: S.Grewing | J.Rehpöhler | C.Kunz

Folgen Sie uns auf Twitter: http://twitter.com/filoogmbh