* Installing Windows Server 2012 on Xen 4.2.1
@ 2013-03-22 23:57 Steven Haigh
From: Steven Haigh @ 2013-03-22 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi all,

I downloaded the evaluation ISO from MS today and I've been trying to
get it to install in a HVM with no success.

Config:
name            = "win2012.vm"
memory          = 2048
vcpus           = 1
cpus            = "1-7"
vif             = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=20:34:01:36:01:00,
vifname=vif.win2012, bridge=br0' ]
disk            = [ 'phy:/dev/vg_hosting/win2012.vm,ioemu:hda,w',
'file:/root/win2012-server.iso,ioemu:hdc:cdrom,r' ]
boot            = "dc"
kernel          = "hvmloader"
builder         = "hvm"
viridian        = '1'
usbdevice       = "tablet"
vnc             = 1
vnclisten       = "127.0.0.1"
vncdisplay      = 1 # port 5901
vncpasswd       = ''
localtime       = 1

## Enable PVHVM
xen_platform_pci= 1

Whenever I start the DomU, I get the quick windows flag splash, then a
text error message:

Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x0000005D
Parameters:
0x00000000178BFBFF
0x0000000020000800
0x0000000000000000
0x0000000000000000

Has anyone come across this before?

Snippets from 'xm info'
hw_caps                :
bfebfbff:20000800:00000000:00000940:0004e3bd:00000000:00000001:00000000
virt_caps              : hvm
xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32
hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@crc.id.au
Web: https://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
Fax: (03) 8338 0299

* Re: Installing Windows Server 2012 on Xen 4.2.1
@ 2013-03-23  0:40 ` James Harper
From: James Harper @ 2013-03-23  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Haigh, xen-devel

> Whenever I start the DomU, I get the quick windows flag splash, then a
> text error message:
>
> Your PC needs to restart.
> Please hold down the power button.
> Error Code: 0x0000005D
> Parameters:
> 0x00000000178BFBFF
> 0x0000000020000800
> 0x0000000000000000
> 0x0000000000000000

If that's a regular bug check code, then 0x5D is:

"
Bug Check 0x5D: UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR
The UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR bug check has a value of 0x0000005D. This indicates that the computer is attempting to run Windows on an unsupported processor.

Cause
Windows requires a higher-grade processor than the one you are using.
"

What sort of CPU are you running on? I would think that anything that runs Xen should also run 2012 so it's a bit of a mystery.

James

* Re: Installing Windows Server 2012 on Xen 4.2.1
@ 2013-03-23  0:42 ` James Harper
From: James Harper @ 2013-03-23  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Haigh, xen-devel

> > Whenever I start the DomU, I get the quick windows flag splash, then a
> > text error message:
> >
> > Your PC needs to restart.
> > Please hold down the power button.
> > Error Code: 0x0000005D
> > Parameters:
> > 0x00000000178BFBFF
> > 0x0000000020000800
> > 0x0000000000000000
> > 0x0000000000000000
> >

> If that's a regular bug check code, then 0x5D is:
>
> "
> Bug Check 0x5D: UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR
> The UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR bug check has a value of 0x0000005D. This
> indicates that the computer is attempting to run Windows on an
> unsupported processor.
>
> Cause
> Windows requires a higher-grade processor than the one you are using.
> "
>
> What sort of CPU are you running on? I would think that anything that runs
> Xen should also run 2012 so it's a bit of a mystery.

A bit of googling for bug check 0x5D 2012 brought up these articles:

http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=316480
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX135255

the latter of which says you should turn on No-Execute Memory Protection in your BIOS... maybe that will help?

James

* Re: Installing Windows Server 2012 on Xen 4.2.1
@ 2013-03-23  0:43   ` Steven Haigh
From: Steven Haigh @ 2013-03-23  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On 23/03/13 11:40, James Harper wrote:
>> Whenever I start the DomU, I get the quick windows flag splash, then a
>> text error message:
>>
>> Your PC needs to restart.
>> Please hold down the power button.
>> Error Code: 0x0000005D
>> Parameters:
>> 0x00000000178BFBFF
>> 0x0000000020000800
>> 0x0000000000000000
>> 0x0000000000000000
>>

> If that's a regular bug check code, then 0x5D is:
>
> "
> Bug Check 0x5D: UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR
> The UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR bug check has a value of 0x0000005D. This indicates that the computer is attempting to run Windows on an unsupported processor.
>
> Cause
> Windows requires a higher-grade processor than the one you are using.
> "
>
> What sort of CPU are you running on? I would think that anything that runs Xen should also run 2012 so it's a bit of a mystery.

Thats what I thought.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5345  @ 2.33GHz

--

@ 2013-03-23  1:45   ` Steven Haigh
From: Steven Haigh @ 2013-03-23  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On 23/03/13 11:42, James Harper wrote:

>>> Whenever I start the DomU, I get the quick windows flag splash, then a
>>> text error message:
>>>
>>> Your PC needs to restart.
>>> Please hold down the power button.
>>> Error Code: 0x0000005D
>>> Parameters:
>>> 0x00000000178BFBFF
>>> 0x0000000020000800
>>> 0x0000000000000000
>>> 0x0000000000000000
>>>

>> If that's a regular bug check code, then 0x5D is:
>>
>> "
>> Bug Check 0x5D: UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR
>> The UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR bug check has a value of 0x0000005D. This
>> indicates that the computer is attempting to run Windows on an
>> unsupported processor.
>>
>> Cause
>> Windows requires a higher-grade processor than the one you are using.
>> "
>>
>> What sort of CPU are you running on? I would think that anything that runs
>> Xen should also run 2012 so it's a bit of a mystery.
>>

> A bit of googling for bug check 0x5D 2012 brought up these articles:
>
> http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=316480
> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX135255
>
> the latter of which says you should turn on No-Execute Memory Protection in your BIOS... maybe that will help?

That turned out to be it. Rebooted it and enabled NX in the BIOS via the
serial console - and everything worked as it should.

Thanks!