* Recovery of packet size
@ 2021-12-03 13:16 Michael Dickensheets
From: Michael Dickensheets @ 2021-12-03 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hello,

We are trying to build fine-grained traffic accounting. Counters do
not provide sufficient details; we need timestamps for individual
packets, etc. We are trying to use logging target with the 'snaplen'
option to minimize overhead. What we are missing though is the size of
the original packet (skb->len). Is there a way to retrieve this value?

If this is not currently possible, how would we best go about adding
this functionality?

Best regards,
Michael Dickensheets

* AW: Recovery of packet size
@ 2021-12-03 13:20 ` Thomas Bätzler
From: Thomas Bätzler @ 2021-12-03 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: Michael Dickensheets

Hi Michael,

depending on your expected throughput, net-acct might do what you want. We've put a tap on our uplink and used that for accounting. Worked pretty well for 1Gbit/s streams. The package has some problems with lots of small packets, though. For higher bandwidths it makes sense to move to something like S/FLOW and live with the approximation.

Best regards,
i.A. Thomas Bätzler
--
BRINGE Informationstechnik GmbH
Zur Seeplatte 12

Fon: +49 721 94246-0
Fon: +49 171 5438457
Fax: +49 721 94246-66
Web: http://www.bringe.de/

Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Martin Bringe
Ust.Id: DE812936645, HRB 108943 Mannheim