* Git/Mac refuses to install on OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
@ 2013-04-07  1:55 David Foster
From: David Foster @ 2013-04-07  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

The default security settings on OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) disallow the
installation of unsigned packages, with no override.

Git/Mac 1.8.2 is not signed and therefore will not install without changing
the OS default security settings.

See screenshot:
http://postimg.org/image/wcb34kzy5/

--
David Foster
http://dafoster.net/

* Re: Git/Mac refuses to install on OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
@ 2013-04-07 14:56 ` Andreas Ericsson
From: Andreas Ericsson @ 2013-04-07 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Foster; +Cc: git

On 04/07/2013 03:55 AM, David Foster wrote:
> The default security settings on OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) disallow the
> installation of unsigned packages, with no override.
>
> Git/Mac 1.8.2 is not signed and therefore will not install without changing
> the OS default security settings.

Sounds like an OSX lockin bugture to me. If anyone can sign the package
with any random key, then it wouldn't provide much in the way of
security, so I guess that means one has to get a signing key form Apple,
which I doubt they just hand out to anyone (usually it means paying
$100 to get an "apple developer certificate). That's nonsense, ofcourse,
but it's how they've chosen to do business.

That aside; Does the package work if you reduce the security settings,
install it and then reset the security settings to their default
settings later? If so, I'd call that a reasonable workaround, and we
probably won't even have to document it since google should provide it
for git and a plethora of other useful packages.

Otoh, if enough osx folks want git on the latest pussycat, I'm sure
they'll provide a package themselves sooner or later, in which case
you just have to wait for that to happen.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@op5.se

on peace.

* Re: Git/Mac refuses to install on OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
@ 2013-04-07 19:20   ` David Foster
From: David Foster @ 2013-04-07 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Ericsson; +Cc: git

 > That aside; Does the package work if you reduce the security settings,
 > install it and then reset the security settings to their default
 > settings later? If so, I'd call that a reasonable workaround

It does. An even better workaround is to right-click (or Control-click)
on the installer and select Open. This provides a slightly different
dialog with gives an override to open the application anyway. This
method avoids changing the OS security settings.

 > and we probably won't even have to document it since google should
provide it

If you intend to make the workaround official, then it would be a good
idea to at least mention it on the download page. It is poor user
experience to require users to use Google to workaround issues in a core
installation scenario.

--
David Foster
http://dafoster.net/