* telnetc behavior
@ 2017-03-19  5:23 Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2017-03-19  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ELKS

Using the new telnetc client on my host,

if I enter the lscommand  then 2 carriage returns, the first line of
the output shows up in my telnet server:

ash banner basename cal cat chgr

The rest of the ls listing shows up in my telnet client, starting with
the p from chgrp

When I enter env and enter 2 carriage returns in my client, it prints
the environment variable (just one line) on the ELKS telnet server.  I
would expect it to be sent to my client.

It looks like the first line of the telnet server output is not
getting sent to the client in my configuration for some reason.

Thanks,
Derek

* Re: telnetc behavior
@ 2017-03-19 18:12 ` Georg Potthast 2
From: Georg Potthast 2 @ 2017-03-19 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ELKS, Derek Johansen

Please try to use just one carriage return. The server expects to get one message and work on that. Not to get a message followed by an almost empty message immediately. I did not expect that to happen.

In the networking_guide I mentioned the commands I tried: e.g. whoami, pwd, echo 123

The server receives the output of a command from ELKS in chunks of 64 bytes. He may try to read new input from the remote side if there is a small pause after a chunk and get lost. Just wait till the prompt appears again before entering something new.

Georg

> Derek Johansen <djohanse678@gmail.com> hat am 19. März 2017 um 06:23 geschrieben:
>

> Using the new telnetc client on my host,
>
> if I enter the lscommand  then 2 carriage returns, the first line of
> the output shows up in my telnet server:
>
> ash banner basename cal cat chgr
>
> The rest of the ls listing shows up in my telnet client, starting with
> the p from chgrp
>
> When I enter env and enter 2 carriage returns in my client, it prints
> the environment variable (just one line) on the ELKS telnet server.  I
> would expect it to be sent to my client.
>
> It looks like the first line of the telnet server output is not
> getting sent to the client in my configuration for some reason.
>
> Thanks,
> Derek

* Re: telnetc behavior
@ 2017-03-20  5:10   ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2017-03-20  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Potthast 2; +Cc: ELKS

If I enter just one carriage return I never get a response from the server.

I noticed something else.  If I login as root, then do a ps command,
the telnetd and ktcp processes are displayed as expected;  I then
mouse over and click in my QEMU/ELKS window, then do a ctrl-alt to
exit mouse grab. I get a "signal received:2" message in the ELKS
window, and my ktcp and telnetd ELKS processes no longer show up when
I do the ps command.  It looks like ctrl-alt is killing the ktcp and
telnetd processes.

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Georg Potthast 2
<nospam@georgpotthast.de> wrote:
> Please try to use just one carriage return. The server expects to get one message and work on that. Not to get a message followed by an almost empty message immediately. I did not expect that to happen.
>
> In the networking_guide I mentioned the commands I tried: e.g. whoami, pwd, echo 123
>
> The server receives the output of a command from ELKS in chunks of 64 bytes. He may try to read new input from the remote side if there is a small pause after a chunk and get lost. Just wait till the prompt appears again before entering something new.
>
> Georg
>

>> Derek Johansen <djohanse678@gmail.com> hat am 19. März 2017 um 06:23 geschrieben:
>>

>> Using the new telnetc client on my host,
>>
>> if I enter the lscommand  then 2 carriage returns, the first line of
>> the output shows up in my telnet server:
>>
>> ash banner basename cal cat chgr
>>
>> The rest of the ls listing shows up in my telnet client, starting with
>> the p from chgrp
>>
>> When I enter env and enter 2 carriage returns in my client, it prints
>> the environment variable (just one line) on the ELKS telnet server.  I
>> would expect it to be sent to my client.
>>
>> It looks like the first line of the telnet server output is not
>> getting sent to the client in my configuration for some reason.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Derek
>> --

* Re: telnetc behavior
@ 2017-03-20 14:05     ` Georg Potthast 2
From: Georg Potthast 2 @ 2017-03-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Johansen; +Cc: ELKS

Derek,

maybe you try CTRL-M/CTRL-J instead of enter just for testing.

I never managed to generate a signal yet so I could not trigger that message. I tried CTRL-C for that.

You should enter CTRL-ALT-G to release the mouse from the Qemu window. Just CTRL-ALT will not do that and you probably send that signal to the TELNET server.

Georg