* qemu-1.5.0 savevm error -95 while writing vm with ceph-rbd as storage-backend
@ 2013-05-24  7:46 ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-05-24  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu@nongnu.org, ceph-devel

Hi,

with a running VM I encounter this strange behaviour, former
qemu-versions don't show up such an error.
Perhaps this comes from the rbd-backend in qemu-1.5.0 in combination
with ceph-0.56.6? Therefore my
crosspost.

Even if I have no real live-snapshot avail - they know of this
restriction -, it's more work for the customers
to perform a shutdown before the wonna do some changes to their VM ;)

Any hints welcome,

Oliver.

--

Oliver Francke

filoo GmbH
Moltkestraße 25a
33330 Gütersloh
HRB4355 AG Gütersloh

Geschäftsführer: S.Grewing | J.Rehpöhler | C.Kunz

Folgen Sie uns auf Twitter: http://twitter.com/filoogmbh

* [Qemu-devel] qemu-1.5.0 savevm error -95 while writing vm with ceph-rbd as storage-backend
@ 2013-05-24  7:46 ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-05-24  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu@nongnu.org, ceph-devel

Hi,

with a running VM I encounter this strange behaviour, former
qemu-versions don't show up such an error.
Perhaps this comes from the rbd-backend in qemu-1.5.0 in combination
with ceph-0.56.6? Therefore my
crosspost.

Even if I have no real live-snapshot avail - they know of this
restriction -, it's more work for the customers
to perform a shutdown before the wonna do some changes to their VM ;)

Any hints welcome,

Oliver.

--

Oliver Francke

filoo GmbH
Moltkestraße 25a
33330 Gütersloh
HRB4355 AG Gütersloh

Geschäftsführer: S.Grewing | J.Rehpöhler | C.Kunz

Folgen Sie uns auf Twitter: http://twitter.com/filoogmbh

* Re: qemu-1.5.0 savevm error -95 while writing vm with ceph-rbd as storage-backend
  (?)
@ 2013-05-24 15:08 ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2013-05-24 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Francke; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 05/24/2013 09:46 AM, Oliver Francke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with a running VM I encounter this strange behaviour, former
> qemu-versions don't show up such an error.
> Perhaps this comes from the rbd-backend in qemu-1.5.0 in combination
> with ceph-0.56.6? Therefore my
> crosspost.
>
> Even if I have no real live-snapshot avail - they know of this
> restriction -, it's more work for the customers
> to perform a shutdown before the wonna do some changes to their VM ;)

Doesn't Qemu try to save the memory state to RBD here as well? That
doesn't work and fails.

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902
Skype: contact42on

* Re: qemu-1.5.0 savevm error -95 while writing vm with ceph-rbd as storage-backend
@ 2013-05-24 15:15   ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-05-24 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: ceph-devel

Well,

On 05/24/2013 05:08 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> On 05/24/2013 09:46 AM, Oliver Francke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> with a running VM I encounter this strange behaviour, former
>> qemu-versions don't show up such an error.
>> Perhaps this comes from the rbd-backend in qemu-1.5.0 in combination
>> with ceph-0.56.6? Therefore my
>> crosspost.
>>
>> Even if I have no real live-snapshot avail - they know of this
>> restriction -, it's more work for the customers
>> to perform a shutdown before the wonna do some changes to their VM ;)
>>

> Doesn't Qemu try to save the memory state to RBD here as well? That
> doesn't work and fails.

true, but that should qemu try in version 1.4.x, too, but that succeeds ;)

Tried to figure out some corresponding QMP-commands, found some
references like:

{"execute": "snapshot-create", "arguments": {"name": "vm_before_upgrade"} }

but that fails with unknown command.

The convenience for a monitoring-command would be, that qemu cares for
all mounted block-devs, well,
it _should_ exclude some "ide-cd0" devices, where I get another error
with an inserted CD, but... other error,

Oliver.

--

@ 2013-05-24 15:37   ` Alexandre DERUMIER
From: Alexandre DERUMIER @ 2013-05-24 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: ceph-devel, Oliver Francke

Hi,

For Proxmox, we have made some patchs to split the savevm process,

to be able to save the memory to an external volume. (and not the current volume).

For rbd, we create a new rbd volume to store the memory.

qemu patch is here :
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu-kvm.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/internal-snapshot-async.patch;h=c67a97ea497fe31ff449acb79e04dc1c53b25578;hb=HEAD

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902
Skype: contact42on

* Re: qemu-1.5.0 savevm error -95 while writing vm with ceph-rbd as storage-backend
@ 2013-05-24 20:57     ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-05-24 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: Wido den Hollander, ceph-devel

Hi Alexandre,

Am 24.05.2013 um 17:37 schrieb Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier@odiso.com>:

> Hi,
>
> For Proxmox, we have made some patchs to split the savevm process,
>
> to be able to save the memory to an external volume. (and not the current volume).
>
> For rbd, we create a new rbd volume to store the memory.
>
> qemu patch is here :
> https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu-kvm.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/internal-snapshot-async.patch;h=c67a97ea497fe31ff449acb79e04dc1c53b25578;hb=HEAD
>
> ----- Mail original -----

wow, sounds very interesting, being on the road for the next 3 days I will have a closer look next week.

Thnx n regards,

Oliver.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-1.5.0 savevm error -95 while writing vm with ceph-rbd as storage-backend
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2013-05-29 11:56 ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-05-29 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi,

is anybody willing to help me dig into this one?
Filed a bug-report, too:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1185395

King regards,

Oliver.

--

@ 2013-05-29 13:47   ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-05-29 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Could it be...

On 05/29/2013 01:56 PM, Oliver Francke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anybody willing to help me dig into this one?

that there was a generic error ( -95) before the savevm-operation, that
just got not cleared?
If I ignore just the error -95 in "savevm.c -> do_savevm" then the
snapshot is right there.

Oliver.

--

@ 2013-06-11 11:51       ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-06-11 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: Josh Durgin, ceph-devel, qemu@nongnu.org

Hi Alexandre, Josh,

sorry for coming back so very late, I tried the patch and though I could
not get it to work properly - very likely my fault - how would it be to
integrate it into the rbd-handler of qemu?

Josh? I think you are CC'd from another qemu-ticket anyway?

I could just ignore the EOPNOTSUPP or whatever it's called, but a smooth
integration of live-snapshots would be so cool ;)

Kind regards,

Oliver.

From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-06-11 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: Josh Durgin, ceph-devel, qemu@nongnu.org

--

Oliver Francke

filoo GmbH
Moltkestraße 25a
33330 Gütersloh
HRB4355 AG Gütersloh

Geschäftsführer: S.Grewing | J.Rehpöhler | C.Kunz

Folgen Sie uns auf Twitter: http://twitter.com/filoogmbh

* qemu-1.7.0 and internal snapshot, Was: qemu-1.5.0 savevm error -95 while writing vm with ceph-rbd as storage-backend
@ 2013-12-17 16:07       ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-12-17 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: Wido den Hollander, ceph-devel

Hi Alexandre and Wido ;)

well, I know this is a pretty old question... but saw some comments from
you Wido as well as a most current patch for qemu-1.7.0 in the
git.proxmox ( internal snapshot async port to qemu 1.7 v5)
What I currently did is: apply modify-query-machines.patch and
internal-snapshot-async.patch to qemu-1.7.0 sources, all hunks succeed.

Now after talking to the QMP with:

     { "execute" : "savevm-start", "arguments": { "statefile":
"rbd:123/905.save1" }}

or a local file, it spits out:

     qemu-system-x86_64: block.c:4430: bdrv_set_in_use: Assertion
`bs->in_use != in_use' failed

*sigh*

qemu is started with "some" parameters... and finally drive-specific ones:

-device virtio-blk-pci,drive=virtio0 -drive
format=raw,file=rbd:123/vm-905-disk-.rbd:rbd_cache=true:rbd_cache_size=33554432:rbd_cache_max_dirty=16777216:rbd_cache_target_dirty=8388608,cache=writeback,if=none,id=virtio0,media=disk,index=0

Did I miss a relevant point?
What would be the correct strategy?

Thnx in advance and kind regards,

Oliver.

P.S.: I don't use libvirt nor proxmox as a complete system.

On 05/24/2013 10:57 PM, Oliver Francke wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> Am 24.05.2013 um 17:37 schrieb Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier@odiso.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For Proxmox, we have made some patchs to split the savevm process,
>>
>> to be able to save the memory to an external volume. (and not the current volume).
>>
>> For rbd, we create a new rbd volume to store the memory.
>>
>> qemu patch is here :
>> https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu-kvm.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/internal-snapshot-async.patch;h=c67a97ea497fe31ff449acb79e04dc1c53b25578;hb=HEAD
>>
>> ----- Mail original -----
>>
> wow, sounds very interesting, being on the road for the next 3 days I will have a closer look next week.
>
> Thnx n regards,
>
> Oliver.

Oliver Francke

filoo GmbH
Moltkestraße 25a
33330 Gütersloh
HRB4355 AG Gütersloh

Geschäftsführer: J.Rehpöhler | C.Kunz

Folgen Sie uns auf Twitter: http://twitter.com/filoogmbh

* Re: qemu-1.7.0 and internal snapshot, Was: qemu-1.5.0 savevm error -95 while writing vm with ceph-rbd as storage-backend
@ 2013-12-20  7:06         ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2013-12-20  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Francke, Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 12/17/2013 05:07 PM, Oliver Francke wrote:
> Hi Alexandre and Wido ;)
>
> well, I know this is a pretty old question... but saw some comments from
> you Wido as well as a most current patch for qemu-1.7.0 in the
> git.proxmox ( internal snapshot async port to qemu 1.7 v5)
> What I currently did is: apply modify-query-machines.patch and
> internal-snapshot-async.patch to qemu-1.7.0 sources, all hunks succeed.
>
> Now after talking to the QMP with:
>
>      { "execute" : "savevm-start", "arguments": { "statefile":
> "rbd:123/905.save1" }}
>
> or a local file, it spits out:
>
>      qemu-system-x86_64: block.c:4430: bdrv_set_in_use: Assertion
> `bs->in_use != in_use' failed
>
> *sigh*
>
> qemu is started with "some" parameters... and finally drive-specific ones:
>
> -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=virtio0 -drive
> format=raw,file=rbd:123/vm-905-disk-.rbd:rbd_cache=true:rbd_cache_size=33554432:rbd_cache_max_dirty=16777216:rbd_cache_target_dirty=8388608,cache=writeback,if=none,id=virtio0,media=disk,index=0
>

> Did I miss a relevant point?
> What would be the correct strategy?

I haven't tested this recently, so I'm not sure if this should already work.

It would be great if this worked, but I'm not aware of it.

Wido

> Thnx in advance and kind regards,
>
> Oliver.
>
> P.S.: I don't use libvirt nor proxmox as a complete system.
>
> On 05/24/2013 10:57 PM, Oliver Francke wrote:
>> Hi Alexandre,
>>
>> Am 24.05.2013 um 17:37 schrieb Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier@odiso.com>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For Proxmox, we have made some patchs to split the savevm process,
>>>
>>> to be able to save the memory to an external volume. (and not the
>>> current volume).
>>>
>>> For rbd, we create a new rbd volume to store the memory.
>>>
>>> qemu patch is here :
>>> https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu-kvm.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/internal-snapshot-async.patch;h=c67a97ea497fe31ff449acb79e04dc1c53b25578;hb=HEAD
>>>

>>> ----- Mail original -----
>>>
>> wow, sounds very interesting, being on the road for the next 3 days I
>> will have a closer look next week.
>>
>> Thnx n regards,
>>
>> Oliver.

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902
Skype: contact42on

@ 2013-12-20 12:10           ` Oliver Francke
From: Oliver Francke @ 2013-12-20 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander, Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Wido,

On 12/20/2013 08:06 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> On 12/17/2013 05:07 PM, Oliver Francke wrote:
>> Hi Alexandre and Wido ;)
>>
>> well, I know this is a pretty old question... but saw some comments from
>> you Wido as well as a most current patch for qemu-1.7.0 in the
>> git.proxmox ( internal snapshot async port to qemu 1.7 v5)
>> What I currently did is: apply modify-query-machines.patch and
>> internal-snapshot-async.patch to qemu-1.7.0 sources, all hunks succeed.
>>
>> Now after talking to the QMP with:
>>
>>      { "execute" : "savevm-start", "arguments": { "statefile":
>> "rbd:123/905.save1" }}
>>
>> or a local file, it spits out:
>>
>>      qemu-system-x86_64: block.c:4430: bdrv_set_in_use: Assertion
>> `bs->in_use != in_use' failed
>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> qemu is started with "some" parameters... and finally drive-specific
>> ones:
>>
>> -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=virtio0 -drive
>> format=raw,file=rbd:123/vm-905-disk-.rbd:rbd_cache=true:rbd_cache_size=33554432:rbd_cache_max_dirty=16777216:rbd_cache_target_dirty=8388608,cache=writeback,if=none,id=virtio0,media=disk,index=0
>>

>> Did I miss a relevant point?
>> What would be the correct strategy?
>>

> I haven't tested this recently, so I'm not sure if this should already
> work.
>
> It would be great if this worked, but I'm not aware of it.

unfortunately I didn't give it a try the time Alexandre first mentioned
it. This functionality should def make it into some next qemu-version.
If you get it to work with current 1.7.0 i would appreciate any more
input ;)

Regards,

Oliver.