* wireless tree rebased (from 5/28), Broadcom bits dropped
@ 2013-06-04 21:26 John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2013-06-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless
  Cc: Johannes Berg, Samuel Ortiz, Gustavo Padovan, Luciano Coelho

All,

Due to my poor judgment in accepting the brcmfmac/brcmsmac series,
I've made a mess of the wireless tree.  To fix it, I have rebased from
before that series was applied.  I'm sure there were other potential
courses of action, but this is the one I chose...

If you maintain a tree that pulls from wireless.git (and has done
so within the past week), then you will need to rebase as well.
This is particularly true if you wish for me to pull from your tree
in the future.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.  I hope that it won't
be happening again anytime soon (if at all).

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: wireless tree rebased (from 5/28), Broadcom bits dropped
@ 2013-06-04 21:53 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2013-06-04 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless
  Cc: Johannes Berg, Samuel Ortiz, Gustavo Padovan, Luciano Coelho

I messed this up too -- bad day...

If you pulled in between the earlier message and this one, please
do so again.  If you saw this message before taking any action to
clean-up my mess, then you are OK.

John

@ 2013-06-05  6:59   ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2013-06-05  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: linux-wireless, Samuel Ortiz, Gustavo Padovan, Luciano Coelho

On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 17:53 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> I messed this up too -- bad day...
>
> If you pulled in between the earlier message and this one, please
> do so again.  If you saw this message before taking any action to
> clean-up my mess, then you are OK.

This was confusing, I think you rebased around some merges instead of
redoing the merges? My patches are in, but suddenly got new commit IDs,
e.g. fa331699d05ce1d0d4896eb4a137cfae50d7afde (new) vs.
c2c15e215e860c99b86ddfc4be4bb25cf180fed0 for "mac80211: work around
broken APs not including HT info".

This will cause git to pull them in again when I send a new pull
request, so it would have been nicer to redo the merges, but anyway ...
just a heads-up for everyone that here it's a bit confusing now.

johannes

* Re: wireless tree rebased (from 5/28), Broadcom bits dropped
@ 2013-06-05 14:37     ` John W. Linville
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: John W. Linville @ 2013-06-05 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg
  Cc: linux-wireless, Samuel Ortiz, Gustavo Padovan, Luciano Coelho

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 08:59:46AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 17:53 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> > I messed this up too -- bad day...
> >
> > If you pulled in between the earlier message and this one, please
> > do so again.  If you saw this message before taking any action to
> > clean-up my mess, then you are OK.
>
> This was confusing, I think you rebased around some merges instead of
> redoing the merges? My patches are in, but suddenly got new commit IDs,
> e.g. fa331699d05ce1d0d4896eb4a137cfae50d7afde (new) vs.
> c2c15e215e860c99b86ddfc4be4bb25cf180fed0 for "mac80211: work around
> broken APs not including HT info".
>
> This will cause git to pull them in again when I send a new pull
> request, so it would have been nicer to redo the merges, but anyway ...
> just a heads-up for everyone that here it's a bit confusing now.
>
> johannes

You are right, I could have done it better with regard to your tree.
I probably should redo that part.

The Bluetooth tree had pulled the wireless tree and applied their
patches on top of the brcmfmac/brcmsmac series that I removed.  So,
their pull couldn't be redone.

I think I can fix the wireless tree and preserve the original mac80211
tree commits.  Everyone please hold off on doing anything else here, as
I'm a bit busy and won't be able to get to this before this afternoon
(Eastern USA time).

Anyone object to one more wireless tree rebase today?

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: wireless tree rebased (from 5/28), Broadcom bits dropped
@ 2013-06-05 16:40       ` Samuel Ortiz
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Samuel Ortiz @ 2013-06-05 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Johannes Berg, linux-wireless, Gustavo Padovan, Luciano Coelho

Hi John,

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:37:01AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 08:59:46AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 17:53 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> > > I messed this up too -- bad day...
> > >
> > > If you pulled in between the earlier message and this one, please
> > > do so again.  If you saw this message before taking any action to
> > > clean-up my mess, then you are OK.
> >
> > This was confusing, I think you rebased around some merges instead of
> > redoing the merges? My patches are in, but suddenly got new commit IDs,
> > e.g. fa331699d05ce1d0d4896eb4a137cfae50d7afde (new) vs.
> > c2c15e215e860c99b86ddfc4be4bb25cf180fed0 for "mac80211: work around
> > broken APs not including HT info".
> >
> > This will cause git to pull them in again when I send a new pull
> > request, so it would have been nicer to redo the merges, but anyway ...
> > just a heads-up for everyone that here it's a bit confusing now.
> >
> > johannes
>
> You are right, I could have done it better with regard to your tree.
> I probably should redo that part.
>
> The Bluetooth tree had pulled the wireless tree and applied their
> patches on top of the brcmfmac/brcmsmac series that I removed.  So,
> their pull couldn't be redone.
>
> I think I can fix the wireless tree and preserve the original mac80211
> tree commits.  Everyone please hold off on doing anything else here, as
> I'm a bit busy and won't be able to get to this before this afternoon
> (Eastern USA time).
>
> Anyone object to one more wireless tree rebase today?
I was about to send you a pull request against your 2nd rebase. I'll wait
until the new one is done, please keep us posted.

Cheers,
Samuel.

--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/

* Re: wireless tree rebased (from 5/28), Broadcom bits dropped
@ 2013-06-05 16:49       ` Gustavo Padovan
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2013-06-05 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Johannes Berg, linux-wireless, Samuel Ortiz, Luciano Coelho

* John W. Linville <linville@tuxdriver.com> [2013-06-05 10:37:01 -0400]:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 08:59:46AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 17:53 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> > > I messed this up too -- bad day...
> > >
> > > If you pulled in between the earlier message and this one, please
> > > do so again.  If you saw this message before taking any action to
> > > clean-up my mess, then you are OK.
> >
> > This was confusing, I think you rebased around some merges instead of
> > redoing the merges? My patches are in, but suddenly got new commit IDs,
> > e.g. fa331699d05ce1d0d4896eb4a137cfae50d7afde (new) vs.
> > c2c15e215e860c99b86ddfc4be4bb25cf180fed0 for "mac80211: work around
> > broken APs not including HT info".
> >
> > This will cause git to pull them in again when I send a new pull
> > request, so it would have been nicer to redo the merges, but anyway ...
> > just a heads-up for everyone that here it's a bit confusing now.
> >
> > johannes
>
> You are right, I could have done it better with regard to your tree.
> I probably should redo that part.
>
> The Bluetooth tree had pulled the wireless tree and applied their
> patches on top of the brcmfmac/brcmsmac series that I removed.  So,
> their pull couldn't be redone.

The Bluetooth commit IDs have changed too, but I just did a rebase on top
your tree and it is all set here now. I'll wait for your rebase today and see
how things goes.

	Gustavo

* Re: wireless tree rebased (from 5/28), Broadcom bits dropped
@ 2013-06-05 16:57       ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2013-06-05 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Johannes Berg, linux-wireless, Samuel Ortiz, Gustavo Padovan,
	Luciano Coelho

On 06/05/2013 04:37 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 08:59:46AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 17:53 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>>> I messed this up too -- bad day...
>>>
>>> If you pulled in between the earlier message and this one, please
>>> do so again.  If you saw this message before taking any action to
>>> clean-up my mess, then you are OK.
>>
>> This was confusing, I think you rebased around some merges instead of
>> redoing the merges? My patches are in, but suddenly got new commit IDs,
>> e.g. fa331699d05ce1d0d4896eb4a137cfae50d7afde (new) vs.
>> c2c15e215e860c99b86ddfc4be4bb25cf180fed0 for "mac80211: work around
>> broken APs not including HT info".
>>
>> This will cause git to pull them in again when I send a new pull
>> request, so it would have been nicer to redo the merges, but anyway ...
>> just a heads-up for everyone that here it's a bit confusing now.
>>
>> johannes
>
> You are right, I could have done it better with regard to your tree.
> I probably should redo that part.
>
> The Bluetooth tree had pulled the wireless tree and applied their
> patches on top of the brcmfmac/brcmsmac series that I removed.  So,
> their pull couldn't be redone.
>
> I think I can fix the wireless tree and preserve the original mac80211
> tree commits.  Everyone please hold off on doing anything else here, as
> I'm a bit busy and won't be able to get to this before this afternoon
> (Eastern USA time).
>
> Anyone object to one more wireless tree rebase today?

Sorry, John

I feel your pain and I guess I should. Another lesson learned.

Gr. AvS

* Re: wireless tree rebased (from 5/28), Broadcom bits dropped
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-06-05 20:19       ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2013-06-05 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg
  Cc: linux-wireless, Samuel Ortiz, Gustavo Padovan, Luciano Coelho

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:37:01AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 08:59:46AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 17:53 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

> I think I can fix the wireless tree and preserve the original mac80211
> tree commits.  Everyone please hold off on doing anything else here, as
> I'm a bit busy and won't be able to get to this before this afternoon
> (Eastern USA time).
>
> Anyone object to one more wireless tree rebase today?

I've redone the wireless tree now.  Please do the needful...