* [Xenomai] Conflict with Ubuntu 13.04
@ 2013-06-07  1:28 Travis Llado
From: Travis Llado @ 2013-06-07  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,
I'm new to xenomai and I just installed it with Ubuntu 13.04 and kernel
3.5.7. As soon as I booted 3.5.7 with xenomai, the Unity GUI stopped
working. It looks like the problem is in compiz, a plugin for Unity. Unity
can't run without it. I'm getting the exact same problem on Ubuntu 13.04 on
a macbook and a Dell desktop. Has anyone else run across this problem? I
can still run xenomai code through the terminal and I can run graphics
applications, but if I try to load compiz the whole system freezes. It
looks like compiz is persistently broken, because when I reboot into the
3.8.0 kernel that comes with Ubuntu 13.04, Unity/compiz are still broken.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

--
Travis Llado
University of Texas at Austin

* Re: [Xenomai] Conflict with Ubuntu 13.04
@ 2013-06-07 19:06 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
       [not found]   ` <C5BABC77-A48A-4841-8CBE-1D0EAF9A8097@utexas.edu>
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-06-07 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Travis Llado; +Cc: xenomai

On 06/07/2013 03:28 AM, Travis Llado wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm new to xenomai and I just installed it with Ubuntu 13.04 and kernel
> 3.5.7. As soon as I booted 3.5.7 with xenomai, the Unity GUI stopped
> working. It looks like the problem is in compiz, a plugin for Unity. Unity
> can't run without it. I'm getting the exact same problem on Ubuntu 13.04 on
> a macbook and a Dell desktop. Has anyone else run across this problem? I
> can still run xenomai code through the terminal and I can run graphics
> applications, but if I try to load compiz the whole system freezes. It
> looks like compiz is persistently broken, because when I reboot into the
> 3.8.0 kernel that comes with Ubuntu 13.04, Unity/compiz are still broken.
> Any thoughts?

Does Unity work with the exact same kernel configuration, only without
CONFIG_IPIPE and CONFIG_XENOMAI?

--
                                                                Gilles.

@ 2013-06-11 21:06     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-06-11 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Travis Llado; +Cc: Xenomai

On 06/11/2013 04:16 PM, Travis Llado wrote:

> I will check on that. It looks like the problem is caused by the
> combination of xenomai/compiz/nvidia graphics chip. When we took the
> nvidia card out of the desktop and used onboard graphics, xeno and
> unity ran together with no problems.

If you are using nvidia drivers, not nouveau, what is missing is
probably simply to recompile them for the Xenomai-patched kernel. But in
that case I suppose your X server would not work at all.

--
                                                                Gilles.