* xattr "trusted" namespace
@ 2013-06-10 22:50 Ted Miller
       [not found] ` <CAH2r5mswiwvRz1xT-PyhR+u65CKvdJtBBgB88oEncD5Bu-Bq_A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ted Miller @ 2013-06-10 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

(If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please feel free to point
me in a different direction.)

I am working on a system that needs to be able to write to the xattr
namespace "trusted", as in trusted.xyz.  I only need this support from the
Linux client, as the target file is being served by a Windows server.  I have
tried this using Centos (same package versions as RHEL) 6.4, and the writes
all fail with the default client.  I am hoping that this has been addressed
in a newer version of the CIFS client.

Is the "trusted" namespace accessible in the current Linux CIFS client?  If
so, what version of which file(s) do I need to look for?

Thank you,
Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA

* Fwd: Re: xattr "trusted" namespace
       [not found]   ` <CAH2r5mswiwvRz1xT-PyhR+u65CKvdJtBBgB88oEncD5Bu-Bq_A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-11  2:37     ` Steve French
       [not found]       ` <CAH2r5msjGgr9a4tLO5G_EwJedAr_ChJYo3Q5cQgYJBYPgdw32Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve French @ 2013-06-11  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: samba-technical, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

I have patches for cifs kernel client for this.  Jeremy Allison was
almost done server patches for samba for the other end.

On Jun 10, 2013 6:06 PM, "Ted Miller" <tmiller-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> (If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please feel free to point me in a different direction.)
>
> I am working on a system that needs to be able to write to the xattr namespace "trusted", as in trusted.xyz.  I only need this support from the Linux client, as the target file is being served by a Windows server.  I have tried this using Centos (same package versions as RHEL) 6.4, and the writes all fail with the default client.  I am hoping that this has been addressed in a newer version of the CIFS client.
>
> Is the "trusted" namespace accessible in the current Linux CIFS client?  If so, what version of which file(s) do I need to look for?
>
> Thank you,
> Ted Miller
> Elkhart, IN, USA

* Re: Fwd: Re: xattr "trusted" namespace
       [not found]       ` <CAH2r5msjGgr9a4tLO5G_EwJedAr_ChJYo3Q5cQgYJBYPgdw32Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-11 13:23         ` Ted Miller
       [not found]           ` <51B724CE.5060706-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org>
From: Ted Miller @ 2013-06-11 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Since I don't usually do things on the "bleeding edge" of the Linux kernel,
could you give me a "ballpark" idea of when a 'stable' kernel version that
includes this functionality might be out?
Ted Miller

@ 2013-06-11 13:30             ` Steve French
       [not found]               ` <CAH2r5mu1QbkBxabJ6_2heMrSgEroAAds12fpHtr0wUHcHNpdoQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve French @ 2013-06-11 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Miller; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, samba-technical

Assuming Jeremy doesn't run into a strange obstacles on the server
side (requiring protocol changes) - I would expect that the client
side would be in 3.11 kernel (the merge window for 3.11 will open in
about 3 weeks), and the patches are small enough to be easy to
backport if distros wanted.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Ted Miller <tmiller-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Since I don't usually do things on the "bleeding edge" of the Linux kernel,
> could you give me a "ballpark" idea of when a 'stable' kernel version that
> includes this functionality might be out?
> Ted Miller
>

> On 6/10/2013 10:37 PM, Steve French wrote:
>>
>> I have patches for cifs kernel client for this.  Jeremy Allison was
>> almost done server patches for samba for the other end.
>>
>> On Jun 10, 2013 6:06 PM, "Ted Miller" <tmiller-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> (If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please feel free to
>>> point me in a different direction.)
>>>
>>> I am working on a system that needs to be able to write to the xattr
>>> namespace "trusted", as in trusted.xyz.  I only need this support from the
>>> Linux client, as the target file is being served by a Windows server.  I
>>> have tried this using Centos (same package versions as RHEL) 6.4, and the
>>> writes all fail with the default client.  I am hoping that this has been
>>> addressed in a newer version of the CIFS client.
>>>
>>> Is the "trusted" namespace accessible in the current Linux CIFS client?
>>> If so, what version of which file(s) do I need to look for?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Ted Miller
>>> Elkhart, IN, USA

Steve

@ 2013-06-11 21:32                 ` Ted Miller
From: Ted Miller @ 2013-06-11 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

If I want to patch my own kernel, would it work as far back as 2.6.32 (used
by current Centos/RHEL)?  Or is it one of those "try it and see" things
(since the virtual machine wouldn't be doing much else)?
Ted Miller

@ 2013-06-21 15:54     ` Ted Miller
       [not found]       ` <51C47742.3000804-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org>
From: Ted Miller @ 2013-06-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have these patches been published (on this list or elsewhere)?  If so, please
point me to them in some way.  (I searched the list archives, but did not
find a patch for this purpose.)

If they have not been published, are they available for testing, or when will
they be available?

Ted Miller

On 6/10/2013 8:09 PM, Steve French wrote:

> I have patches for cifs kernel client for this. Jeremy Allison was almost
> done server patches for samba for the other end.
>
> On Jun 10, 2013 6:06 PM, "Ted Miller" <tmiller-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org
> <mailto:tmiller-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     (If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please feel free to
>     point me in a different direction.)
>
>     I am working on a system that needs to be able to write to the xattr
>     namespace "trusted", as in trusted.xyz.  I only need this support from
>     the Linux client, as the target file is being served by a Windows
>     server.  I have tried this using Centos (same package versions as RHEL)
>     6.4, and the writes all fail with the default client.  I am hoping that
>     this has been addressed in a newer version of the CIFS client.
>
>     Is the "trusted" namespace accessible in the current Linux CIFS client?
>      If so, what version of which file(s) do I need to look for?
>
>     Thank you,
>     Ted Miller
>     Elkhart, IN, USA

* Re: xattr "trusted" namespace
       [not found]       ` <51C47742.3000804-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-21 16:00         ` Steve French
From: Steve French @ 2013-06-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I will clean up and repost the client side patches - but also will
check with JRA on the server side of them.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Ted Miller <tmiller-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Have these patches been published (on this list or elsewhere)?  If so,
> please point me to them in some way.  (I searched the list archives, but did
> not find a patch for this purpose.)
>
> If they have not been published, are they available for testing, or when
> will they be available?
>
> Ted Miller
>

> On 6/10/2013 8:09 PM, Steve French wrote:
>>

>> I have patches for cifs kernel client for this. Jeremy Allison was almost
>> done server patches for samba for the other end.
>>
>> On Jun 10, 2013 6:06 PM, "Ted Miller" <tmiller-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org
>> <mailto:tmiller-fFyIe9EmHoY@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     (If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please feel free to
>>     point me in a different direction.)
>>
>>     I am working on a system that needs to be able to write to the xattr
>>     namespace "trusted", as in trusted.xyz.  I only need this support from
>>     the Linux client, as the target file is being served by a Windows
>>     server.  I have tried this using Centos (same package versions as
>> RHEL)
>>     6.4, and the writes all fail with the default client.  I am hoping
>> that
>>     this has been addressed in a newer version of the CIFS client.
>>
>>     Is the "trusted" namespace accessible in the current Linux CIFS
>> client?
>>      If so, what version of which file(s) do I need to look for?
>>
>>     Thank you,
>>     Ted Miller
>>     Elkhart, IN, USA

Steve