* [Xenomai] Stable update for ipipe-3.8
@ 2013-06-11 14:28 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2013-06-11 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix, Philippe Gerum; +Cc: Xenomai

Hi all,

I've merged 3.8.13 into our stable 3.8 branch. This triggered some minor
conflicts in generic and ARM code. Please see

git://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-jki for-upstream/3.8

for details. The result works fine for x86, and if it's also OK for the
other arch, I'd propose this to be merged into the official 3.8 stable
branch.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE

* Re: [Xenomai] Stable update for ipipe-3.8
@ 2013-06-12 14:26 ` Flavio Castro Alves Filho
From: Flavio Castro Alves Filho @ 2013-06-12 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

Hello,

This weekend I'll try to test it with the current kernel version for
BeagleBone Black and I'll let you know about the results.

Best regards,

Flavio

2013/6/11 Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I've merged 3.8.13 into our stable 3.8 branch. This triggered some minor
> conflicts in generic and ARM code. Please see
>
> git://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-jki for-upstream/3.8
>
> for details. The result works fine for x86, and if it's also OK for the
> other arch, I'd propose this to be merged into the official 3.8 stable
> branch.
>
> Jan
>
> --
> Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE

Flavio de Castro Alves Filho

flavio.alves@gmail.com
www.linuxembarcado.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/fraviofii
LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/flaviocastroalves

* Re: [Xenomai] Stable update for ipipe-3.8
@ 2013-06-12 15:02   ` Michael Haberler
From: Michael Haberler @ 2013-06-12 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Gentlemen in the know,

Am 12.06.2013 um 16:26 schrieb Flavio Castro Alves Filho <flavio.alves@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> This weekend I'll try to test it with the current kernel version for
> BeagleBone Black and I'll let you know about the results.

since I venture the same, please clarify: would I merge this branch over stock v3.8.13 _after_ or _before_ vendor patches?

working theory: before, but I'll stand corrected

-m

@ 2013-06-12 17:10     ` Flavio Castro Alves Filho
From: Flavio Castro Alves Filho @ 2013-06-12 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Haberler; +Cc: xenomai

Hello Michael,

2013/6/12 Michael Haberler <mail17@mah.priv.at>:
> Gentlemen in the know,
>
> Am 12.06.2013 um 16:26 schrieb Flavio Castro Alves Filho <flavio.alves@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This weekend I'll try to test it with the current kernel version for
>> BeagleBone Black and I'll let you know about the results.
>
> since I venture the same, please clarify: would I merge this branch over stock v3.8.13 _after_ or _before_ vendor patches?
>
> working theory: before, but I'll stand corrected

Before ... allways before :-)

By the way, do you have the oe recipe for Xenomai?

Best regards,

Flavio

@ 2013-06-17  0:17   ` Flavio Castro Alves Filho
From: Flavio Castro Alves Filho @ 2013-06-17  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

Hello Jan,

I tried to build Linux kerne from your ipipe repository but the
compilation crashed, when building for BeagleBone Black.

During the patch application, I got just one error, with the inclusion
of a #include directive. I solved the problem by hand and then I had
the compilation error.

Unfortunately I had to reboot my machine and I could not give you the
complete feedback. I intend to do that tomorrow. Sorry ...

Anyway, I would like to provide the feedback.

Best regards

Flavio

@ 2013-06-17  5:29     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2013-06-17  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flavio Castro Alves Filho; +Cc: Xenomai

On 2013-06-17 02:17, Flavio Castro Alves Filho wrote:
> Hello Jan,
>
> I tried to build Linux kerne from your ipipe repository but the
> compilation crashed, when building for BeagleBone Black.
>
> During the patch application, I got just one error, with the inclusion
> of a #include directive. I solved the problem by hand and then I had
> the compilation error.

Err, what did you apply against which kernel? The repository is supposed
to be used as-is. Or are there still additional, non-upstream patches
required for your board?

Jan

@ 2013-06-19  0:14       ` Flavio Castro Alves Filho
From: Flavio Castro Alves Filho @ 2013-06-19  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

Hello Jan,

2013/6/17 Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de>:
> On 2013-06-17 02:17, Flavio Castro Alves Filho wrote:
>> Hello Jan,
>>
>> I tried to build Linux kerne from your ipipe repository but the
>> compilation crashed, when building for BeagleBone Black.
>>
>> During the patch application, I got just one error, with the inclusion
>> of a #include directive. I solved the problem by hand and then I had
>> the compilation error.
>
> Err, what did you apply against which kernel? The repository is supposed
> to be used as-is. Or are there still additional, non-upstream patches
> required for your board?

I apply the patches from meta-beagleboard layer (master branch ... for
mainline kernel 3.8.13) into your i-pipe repository, branch
'for-upstream/3.8'.

I believe the patches are not upstream (There are a lot of patches).
The compilation error is the following:

flavio@Phi06:/home/prjs/beaglebone/work/ipipe-jki$ make ARCH=arm
CROSS_COMPILE=arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi- uImage
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  CC      arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.o
arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.c: In function 'gpmc_probe_nand_child':
arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.c:1378:2: error: implicit declaration of
function 'of_get_nand_bus_width'
[-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.c:1380:29: error: 'NAND_BUSWIDTH_16'
undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.c:1380:29: note: each undeclared identifier
is reported only once for each function it appears in
arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.c: In function 'gpmc_probe_generic_child':
arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.c:1455:2: error: implicit declaration of
function 'of_address_to_resource'
[-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.c:1505:2: error: implicit declaration of
function 'of_platform_device_create'
[-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/mach-omap2/gpmc.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/arm/mach-omap2] Error 2
flavio@Phi06:/home/prjs/beaglebone/work/ipipe-jki$

I will check this out and inform you.

For kernel 3.8.10, the same procedure worked fine.

Best regards,

Flavio

@ 2013-06-22  1:43         ` Flavio Castro Alves Filho
From: Flavio Castro Alves Filho @ 2013-06-22  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

Hello,

I solved the issue. The compilation error was due missing header
files, due to patch application problems.

Xenomai is running on 3.8.13 kernel.

Best regards,

Flavio

@ 2013-06-22  6:38           ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2013-06-22  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flavio Castro Alves Filho; +Cc: Xenomai

On 2013-06-22 03:43, Flavio Castro Alves Filho wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I solved the issue. The compilation error was due missing header
> files, due to patch application problems.
>
> Xenomai is running on 3.8.13 kernel.

Muito obrigado!

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai] Stable update for ipipe-3.8
@ 2013-07-20 11:32 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-07-20 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

On 06/11/2013 04:28 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've merged 3.8.13 into our stable 3.8 branch. This triggered some minor
> conflicts in generic and ARM code. Please see
>
> git://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-jki for-upstream/3.8
>
> for details. The result works fine for x86, and if it's also OK for the
> other arch, I'd propose this to be merged into the official 3.8 stable
> branch.

Hi Jan,

I am not so sure 3.8.13. I am having random segfaults when running:

xeno-regression-test -l "dohell -s 192.168.0.5 -m /mnt -l /ltp" -p 1000

on geode and at91. I have first focused on at91 because the "unlocked
context switch" features is a usual suspect, but:
- the hardware pgd is in sync with the software pgd, which means that
the unlocked context switch did not mess up the hardware pgd;
-  going back to 3.5, I am unable to trigger the faults, despite the
fact that the mm switch code is the same for this type of machine.

So, could you run this same test on your x86 machines to see if you have
any issue?

Regards.

--
                                                                 Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Stable update for ipipe-3.8
@ 2013-07-26 16:41   ` Jan Kiszka
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2013-07-26 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: Xenomai

On 2013-07-20 13:32, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 04:28 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've merged 3.8.13 into our stable 3.8 branch. This triggered some minor
>> conflicts in generic and ARM code. Please see
>>
>> git://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-jki for-upstream/3.8
>>
>> for details. The result works fine for x86, and if it's also OK for the
>> other arch, I'd propose this to be merged into the official 3.8 stable
>> branch.
>

> Hi Jan,
>
> I am not so sure 3.8.13. I am having random segfaults when running:
>
> xeno-regression-test -l "dohell -s 192.168.0.5 -m /mnt -l /ltp" -p 1000
>
> on geode and at91. I have first focused on at91 because the "unlocked
> context switch" features is a usual suspect, but:
> - the hardware pgd is in sync with the software pgd, which means that
> the unlocked context switch did not mess up the hardware pgd;
> -  going back to 3.5, I am unable to trigger the faults, despite the
> fact that the mm switch code is the same for this type of machine.
>
> So, could you run this same test on your x86 machines to see if you have
> any issue?

I've seen it once during a test run today, but I'm lacking LTP here.

Right now I'm debugging a failing cond-torture-posix test which prevents
the completion if the run. Likely unrelated.

Jan

--

@ 2013-07-26 17:51     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2013-07-26 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: Xenomai

On 2013-07-26 18:41, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Right now I'm debugging a failing cond-torture-posix test which prevents
> the completion if the run. Likely unrelated.

That turned out to be a local issue, caused by the improper addition of
a tracepoint.

Jan

--

@ 2013-07-26 19:11     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-07-26 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

On 07/26/2013 06:41 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> On 2013-07-20 13:32, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> On 06/11/2013 04:28 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've merged 3.8.13 into our stable 3.8 branch. This triggered some minor
>>> conflicts in generic and ARM code. Please see
>>>
>>> git://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-jki for-upstream/3.8
>>>
>>> for details. The result works fine for x86, and if it's also OK for the
>>> other arch, I'd propose this to be merged into the official 3.8 stable
>>> branch.
>>

>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> I am not so sure 3.8.13. I am having random segfaults when running:
>>
>> xeno-regression-test -l "dohell -s 192.168.0.5 -m /mnt -l /ltp" -p 1000
>>
>> on geode and at91. I have first focused on at91 because the "unlocked
>> context switch" features is a usual suspect, but:
>> - the hardware pgd is in sync with the software pgd, which means that
>> the unlocked context switch did not mess up the hardware pgd;
>> -  going back to 3.5, I am unable to trigger the faults, despite the
>> fact that the mm switch code is the same for this type of machine.
>>
>> So, could you run this same test on your x86 machines to see if you have
>> any issue?
>
> I've seen it once during a test run today, but I'm lacking LTP here.

I forgot to add that yes, the issue is rare. It happens once in the
whole run here, I happen to have noticed it because sometimes, the
latency test is the victim. LTP exists as a debian package, if you are
using debian.

--
                                                                 Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Stable update for ipipe-3.8
@ 2013-08-06 19:11     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-08-06 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai

On 07/26/2013 06:41 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2013-07-20 13:32, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> On 06/11/2013 04:28 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've merged 3.8.13 into our stable 3.8 branch. This triggered some minor
>>> conflicts in generic and ARM code. Please see
>>>
>>> git://git.xenomai.org/ipipe-jki for-upstream/3.8
>>>
>>> for details. The result works fine for x86, and if it's also OK for the
>>> other arch, I'd propose this to be merged into the official 3.8 stable
>>> branch.
>>

>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> I am not so sure 3.8.13. I am having random segfaults when running:
>>
>> xeno-regression-test -l "dohell -s 192.168.0.5 -m /mnt -l /ltp" -p 1000
>>
>> on geode and at91. I have first focused on at91 because the "unlocked
>> context switch" features is a usual suspect, but:
>> - the hardware pgd is in sync with the software pgd, which means that
>> the unlocked context switch did not mess up the hardware pgd;
>> -  going back to 3.5, I am unable to trigger the faults, despite the
>> fact that the mm switch code is the same for this type of machine.
>>
>> So, could you run this same test on your x86 machines to see if you have
>> any issue?
>
> I've seen it once during a test run today, but I'm lacking LTP here.

Hi Jan,

I do not know if you have followed up on this issue, on my side, I have
found the problem with FCSE which was a bad interaction between FCSE
best effort mode and unlocked context switch. So, the issue is not generic.

Regards.

--
                                                                Gilles.