* A Bug in 3.9.8
@ 2013-06-29 21:52 Richard Corbin
From: Richard Corbin @ 2013-06-29 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable, linux-kernel

Folks:

I sent the indented text to gregkh@linuxfoundation.org, inappropriately
as I suspected. I got a polite automated response suggesting alternate
destinations for my email. To my non-technical eyes, your addresses
seemed most appropriate.

     "Mr. Kroah-Hartman,

     "Excuse me for bothering you, but I do not know where to report my
problem and I found your name in
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.9.8-saucy/BUILD.LOG.

     "I am running Linux Mint KDE v15, but I like to run the latest
kernel. I have never had a problem before installing the latest "general
release" kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
until yesterday.

     "After I installed v3.9.8-saucy, the system could no longer "read"
cpu usage of my quad-core Intel  q6600. Conky, "top", "mpstat -P ALL"
all show ZERO CPU usage. Everything else is fine; it is just the
reporting that is busted.

     "If you are the wrong person and cannot forward to correct
destination, then I am sorry for wasting your time."

I neglected to write that when I rebooted the identical system using
v3.9.7-saucy as the kernel, the CPU usage for each core was registering
non-zero values when appropriate as usual.

Cordially,
Richard Corbin

* Re: A Bug in 3.9.8
@ 2013-06-30 16:11 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2013-06-30 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Corbin; +Cc: stable, linux-kernel

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 04:52:47PM -0500, Richard Corbin wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I sent the indented text to gregkh@linuxfoundation.org,
> inappropriately as I suspected. I got a polite automated response
> suggesting alternate destinations for my email. To my non-technical
> eyes, your addresses seemed most appropriate.
>
>     "Mr. Kroah-Hartman,
>
>     "Excuse me for bothering you, but I do not know where to report
> my problem and I found your name in
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.9.8-saucy/BUILD.LOG.

My name is there because it's the first commit, for some strange reason
the Ubuntu build logs this, but I have nothing to do with their kernel
builds.

>     "I am running Linux Mint KDE v15, but I like to run the latest
> kernel. I have never had a problem before installing the latest
> "general release" kernel from
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ until yesterday.
>
>     "After I installed v3.9.8-saucy, the system could no longer
> "read" cpu usage of my quad-core Intel  q6600. Conky, "top", "mpstat
> -P ALL" all show ZERO CPU usage. Everything else is fine; it is just
> the reporting that is busted.
>
>     "If you are the wrong person and cannot forward to correct
> destination, then I am sorry for wasting your time."
>
> I neglected to write that when I rebooted the identical system using
> v3.9.7-saucy as the kernel, the CPU usage for each core was
> registering non-zero values when appropriate as usual.

As this is a Ubuntu-specific kernel, I suggest filing a bug in the
Ubuntu bug tracking tool to help resolve this, ther's not much we in the
community can do about this, sorry.

best of luck,

greg k-h

* Re: A Bug in 3.9.8