* Changing syslinux configuration
@ 2013-07-06  1:23 Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-07-06  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

For my system (something similar to core-image-base running on a Cedartrail
Atom mobo), the syslinux.cfg file needs to be tweaked. It is built by a
script in syslinux.bbclass, which is controlled by various variables. First
of all, it's important that it not try to use a serial port as a console, so
that means I'm supposed to set SYSLINUX_SERIAL to "". Second, it's providing
two choices called "boot" and "install", and I'd like to eliminate the
latter, which involves setting the LABELS variable to "boot".

I see that syslinux.bbclass has default value of "0 115200", but it has no
default value for LABELS, which would cause a failure if something else
wasn't setting it to "boot install". I see that it is inherited by
boot-directdisk.bbclass, but it doesn't provide a default value for LABELS,
either.

Does anyone know what recipe actually sets LABELS? And then, do I override
these variables by creating a .bbappend file for that recipe? Or are these
two symbols global symbols that I can somehow supply values for in my layer
file? I really have no understanding of the scope of all the multiplicity of
variables in the Bitbake system. Does each recipe have its own namespace for
variables, or is everything global?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: Changing syslinux configuration
@ 2013-07-08  9:13 ` Tomas Frydrych
From: Tomas Frydrych @ 2013-07-08  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 06/07/13 02:23, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> Does anyone know what recipe actually sets LABELS?

The relevant image classes do.

Tomas

--
http://sleepfive.com

* Re: Changing syslinux configuration
@ 2013-07-08 20:03   ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2013-07-08 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tomas Frydrych', yocto

> From: Tomas Frydrych
>
> On 06/07/13 02:23, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > Does anyone know what recipe actually sets LABELS?
>
> The relevant image classes do.

Thanks. It turned out to be image-live.bbclass, which sets a bunch of
SYSLINUX_xxx symbols unless they've already been set, and which are then
obeyed by syslinux.bbclass.

So I'm setting these in my layer.conf, and it seems to work. Is that the
right place to do it, or should it be in my main layer recipe? I really have
no sense about the order in which anything is read or obeyed.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco