* inode64 and Firefox
@ 2013-07-09 13:37 aurfalien
From: aurfalien @ 2013-07-09 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hi all,

Before I dig deeper, wondering if any one has issues running Firefox v22 from an XFS file system mounted using inode64 option?

- aurf

* Re: inode64 and Firefox
@ 2013-07-09 13:54 ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2013-07-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aurfalien; +Cc: xfs

On 7/9/13 8:37 AM, aurfalien wrote:
> Before I dig deeper, wondering if any one has issues running Firefox v22 from an XFS file system mounted using inode64 option?

I've not tried it, but first question - 32-bit or 64-bit firefox?

However, this isn't encouraging:

$ file /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, stripped

$ ./summarise_stat.pl /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
      1 100.0% use 32-bit stat() family interfaces only

sooo if my perl script is to be believed, it may be problematic, depending on how serious a stat() failure is.

-Eric

* Re: inode64 and Firefox
@ 2013-07-09 14:08   ` aurfalien
From: aurfalien @ 2013-07-09 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: xfs

On Jul 9, 2013, at 6:54 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> On 7/9/13 8:37 AM, aurfalien wrote:
>> Before I dig deeper, wondering if any one has issues running Firefox v22 from an XFS file system mounted using inode64 option?
>
> I've not tried it, but first question - 32-bit or 64-bit firefox?

Its 32 bit FF.  Thunderbird also has issues.  Too bad :(

Stuck in the stone age.  Got a 24TB fs functioning as a home dir for ~100 pplz that I would like to modernize.

> However, this isn't encouraging:
>
> $ file /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
> /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, stripped
>
> $ ./summarise_stat.pl /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
>      1 100.0% use 32-bit stat() family interfaces only
>
> sooo if my perl script is to be believed, it may be problematic, depending on how serious a stat() failure is.
>
> -Eric

Thanks for the feedback.

- aurf

* Re: inode64 and Firefox
@ 2013-07-09 14:09     ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2013-07-09 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aurfalien; +Cc: xfs

On 7/9/13 9:08 AM, aurfalien wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2013, at 6:54 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
>> On 7/9/13 8:37 AM, aurfalien wrote:
>>> Before I dig deeper, wondering if any one has issues running Firefox v22 from an XFS file system mounted using inode64 option?
>>
>> I've not tried it, but first question - 32-bit or 64-bit firefox?
>
> Its 32 bit FF.  Thunderbird also has issues.  Too bad :(

Ok, below was for 64-bit, even!

I'd file a bug w/ them, it can't be that hard to fix.  Modern filesystems have 64 bit inodes, they should handle it!

-Eric

> Stuck in the stone age.  Got a 24TB fs functioning as a home dir for ~100 pplz that I would like to modernize.
>
>> However, this isn't encouraging:
>>
>> $ file /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
>> /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, stripped
>>
>> $ ./summarise_stat.pl /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
>>      1 100.0% use 32-bit stat() family interfaces only
>>
>> sooo if my perl script is to be believed, it may be problematic, depending on how serious a stat() failure is.
>>
>> -Eric
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> - aurf

* Re: inode64 and Firefox
@ 2013-07-09 14:35       ` Stan Hoeppner
From: Stan Hoeppner @ 2013-07-09 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: xfs, aurfalien

On 7/9/2013 9:09 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 7/9/13 9:08 AM, aurfalien wrote:

>>> I've not tried it, but first question - 32-bit or 64-bit firefox?
>>
>> Its 32 bit FF.  Thunderbird also has issues.  Too bad :(
>
> Ok, below was for 64-bit, even!
>
> I'd file a bug w/ them, it can't be that hard to fix.  Modern filesystems have 64 bit inodes, they should handle it!
>
> -Eric
>
>> Stuck in the stone age.  Got a 24TB fs functioning as a home dir for ~100 pplz that I would like to modernize.

Is XFS being mounted via NFS or Samba?  Do your server and client
versions of these support 64 bit inodes?  If these are 32 bit Windows
clients I think it's pretty certain they don't/can't handle 64 bit
inodes.  Thus this may not be strictly a FF/TB problem.  We need more
information.

--
Stan

* Re: inode64 and Firefox
@ 2013-07-09 14:54         ` aurfalien
From: aurfalien @ 2013-07-09 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stan; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, xfs

On Jul 9, 2013, at 7:35 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 7/9/2013 9:09 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>>> Its 32 bit FF.  Thunderbird also has issues.  Too bad :(
>>
>> Ok, below was for 64-bit, even!
>>
>> I'd file a bug w/ them, it can't be that hard to fix.  Modern filesystems have 64 bit inodes, they should handle it!
>>
>> -Eric
>>
>>> Stuck in the stone age.  Got a 24TB fs functioning as a home dir for ~100 pplz that I would like to modernize.
>
> Is XFS being mounted via NFS or Samba?

NFS

>  Do your server and client
> versions of these support 64 bit inodes?

Yes, everything works except for Mozilla warez.  I'm seeing if there are any KDE issues as well.

>  If these are 32 bit Windows
> clients I think it's pretty certain they don't/can't handle 64 bit
> inodes.  Thus this may not be strictly a FF/TB problem.  We need more
> information.

My OS's both actual and virtual are 64 bit.  Lin64 and Win64.

- aurf

* Re: inode64 and Firefox - update
@ 2013-07-10  3:42         ` aurfalien
From: aurfalien @ 2013-07-10  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stan; +Cc: Eric Sandeen, xfs

On Jul 9, 2013, at 7:35 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 7/9/2013 9:09 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>>> Its 32 bit FF.  Thunderbird also has issues.  Too bad :(
>>
>> Ok, below was for 64-bit, even!
>>
>> I'd file a bug w/ them, it can't be that hard to fix.  Modern filesystems have 64 bit inodes, they should handle it!
>>
>> -Eric
>>
>>> Stuck in the stone age.  Got a 24TB fs functioning as a home dir for ~100 pplz that I would like to modernize.
>
> Is XFS being mounted via NFS or Samba?  Do your server and client
> versions of these support 64 bit inodes?  If these are 32 bit Windows
> clients I think it's pretty certain they don't/can't handle 64 bit
> inodes.  Thus this may not be strictly a FF/TB problem.  We need more
> information.
>
> --
> Stan

UPDATE

Latest 64 bit Firefox/Thunderflop work just fine via inode64.

Testing other apps but so far so good.

Some plugins may be an issue but those may as well be local.

- aurf