* [ath9k-devel] [ath9k_htc] TX retry packet
@ 2013-07-15 16:19 Matteo Danieletto
From: Matteo Danieletto @ 2013-07-15 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi all,
I am looking for the number of packets (frame) retransmitted during a
finite interval.
The USB adapter is TL-WN722N (driver ath9k_htc) and I am testing it in IBSS
mode with kernel 3.2.0 .

I found
in /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/netdev:wlan3/stations/00:1d:7d:49:2e:4e/tx_retry_count
but the output is always 0 .

So, for my point of view is strange that never occurred a mac
retransmission.
Do you know if it is a common problem?

I have tried even with an ath9k and this time it worked.

Do you know which is the C struct I need to read to find the number of
retransmission?

Thanks a lot
Best

--
Matteo Danieletto
-------------- next part --------------

* [ath9k-devel] [ath9k_htc] TX retry packet
@ 2013-07-15 20:16 ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2013-07-15 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Am 15.07.2013 18:19, schrieb Matteo Danieletto:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for the number of packets (frame) retransmitted during a
> finite interval.
> The USB adapter is TL-WN722N (driver ath9k_htc) and I am testing it in
> IBSS mode with kernel 3.2.0 .
>
> I found
> in /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/netdev:wlan3/stations/00:1d:7d:49:2e:4e/tx_retry_count
>
> but the output is always 0 .
>
> So, for my point of view is strange that never occurred a mac
> retransmission.
> Do you know if it is a common problem?
>
> I have tried even with an ath9k and this time it worked.
>
> Do you know which is the C struct I need to read to find the number of
> retransmission?

Hi Matteo,

you need to digg into firmware. Retransmission is done some where here
target_firmware/wlan/if_owl.c:
ath_tx_retry_subframe()

or some thing like this. You are welcome to provide patches ;)
see:
https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware

I also started to work on documentaion... there are some drafts, may be
it will help you understand how firmware works:

https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/wiki/usb-regs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pg27qHGx-2hsx9tGCwj0l9EtJZU-viquaOKC02WRt6Y/pub
Oleksij

* [ath9k-devel] [ath9k_htc] TX retry packet
@ 2013-07-19 16:46   ` Matteo
From: Matteo @ 2013-07-19 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Thanks a lot.
Sorry for delay, but I never received your repley.
Sure, I will try to patch the firmware source code to extract that information.

Thanks again
Matteo

* [ath9k-devel] [ath9k_htc] TX retry packet
       [not found] <mailman.3.1373968801.13046.ath9k-devel@lists.ath9k.org>
@ 2013-07-16 10:58 ` Michal Kudelski
From: Michal Kudelski @ 2013-07-16 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,

Recently, I discovered one problem in firmware, and I
didn't have time to report it yet... It could also solve
your issue.

Namely, in the firmware, in the file if_owl.c, in the
function ath_tx_status_update(...), status flags are not
being reset. And they definitely should. Thus, you can add
something like this:

  txs->txstatus[txs->cnt].ts_flags = 0;

after the following line of code:

  txs->txstatus[txs->cnt].ts_rate = SM(bf->bf_endpt,
ATH9K_HTC_TXSTAT_EPID);

And you need to recompile and re-install the firmware, of
course.

Hope this can help.

Cheers,
Michal Kudelski