* Help in understanding SND_PCM_TSTAMP_ENABLE mode snd_pcm_htimestamp function
@ 2013-07-17  7:10 divya v
From: divya v @ 2013-07-17  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I am looking for a method to maintain timestamps for every sample read or
written.
I noticed the *SND_PCM_TSTAMP_ENABLE mode. But the description mentions - ""
*pdate timestamp at every hardware position update"
Doe this mean that the when snd_pcm_htimestamp() is issued, we will get the
last hardware update timestamp or does it mean that it will fetch the
timestamp of that particular sample?

Thanks,
Divya

* Re: Help in understanding SND_PCM_TSTAMP_ENABLE mode snd_pcm_htimestamp function
@ 2013-07-17 13:52 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2013-07-17 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divya v; +Cc: alsa-devel

divya v wrote:
> I am looking for a method to maintain timestamps for every sample read or
> written.

ALSA does not have timestamps for every sample.

> I noticed the *SND_PCM_TSTAMP_ENABLE mode. But the description mentions - ""
> *pdate timestamp at every hardware position update"
> Doe this mean that the when snd_pcm_htimestamp() is issued, we will get the
> last hardware update timestamp

Yes, this is what the documentation says.

> or does it mean that it will fetch the timestamp of that particular
> sample?

Yes; it will fetch the timestamp of the particular sample that is
returned in "avail".

Regards,
Clemens