* Dell U2412M monitor complains about input timing
@ 2013-07-09  4:38 Christian Kreibich
From: Christian Kreibich @ 2013-07-09  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Hi all,

I hope I have found the right forum for asking my question -- apologies
if that's not the case. I have a Dell U2412M connected to a Dell
StudioSlim 540s, with the i915 driver on Fedora's 3.9.6 Kernel running
KDE (4.10.4). The monitor is connected via an HDMI cable, with a DVI
adapter to the monitor. When booting up my machine into X or waking it
from sleep, things work perfectly. However, when I turn off the monitor
(or whenever it turns itself off, if configured to do so) while the PC
keeps running, I have a hard time getting the monitor to work when
turning it on again. One of three things happens:

(1) The monitor pops up a message saying that "The current input timing
is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input to
1920x1200@60Hz".

(2) The expected desktop contents appear on screen, but only for a
fraction of a second. Then the monitor goes blank again for a few
seconds, and this iterates until I turn it off again.

(3) Things work as expected, but unfortunately only after turning the
monitor on and off on the order of a dozen times. Even then, the
configuration is a bit wonky (for example, xrandr shows all connections
disconnected).

I have the monitor configured to 1920x1200@60Hz both in KDE's settings
and via variations of an xorg.conf (including no xorg.conf) in which I
expressly state that this is what my monitor needs.

I'm wondering if the problem might be HDMI-related and whether it sounds
familiar to folks on this list. Any help is welcome.

Cheers,
Christian

* Re: Dell U2412M monitor complains about input timing
@ 2013-07-09 21:27 ` Jesse Barnes
From: Jesse Barnes @ 2013-07-09 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Kreibich; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 21:38:13 -0700
Christian Kreibich <christian@whoop.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope I have found the right forum for asking my question -- apologies
> if that's not the case. I have a Dell U2412M connected to a Dell
> StudioSlim 540s, with the i915 driver on Fedora's 3.9.6 Kernel running
> KDE (4.10.4). The monitor is connected via an HDMI cable, with a DVI
> adapter to the monitor. When booting up my machine into X or waking it
> from sleep, things work perfectly. However, when I turn off the monitor
> (or whenever it turns itself off, if configured to do so) while the PC
> keeps running, I have a hard time getting the monitor to work when
> turning it on again. One of three things happens:
>
> (1) The monitor pops up a message saying that "The current input timing
> is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input to
> 1920x1200@60Hz".
>
> (2) The expected desktop contents appear on screen, but only for a
> fraction of a second. Then the monitor goes blank again for a few
> seconds, and this iterates until I turn it off again.
>
> (3) Things work as expected, but unfortunately only after turning the
> monitor on and off on the order of a dozen times. Even then, the
> configuration is a bit wonky (for example, xrandr shows all connections
> disconnected).
>
> I have the monitor configured to 1920x1200@60Hz both in KDE's settings
> and via variations of an xorg.conf (including no xorg.conf) in which I
> expressly state that this is what my monitor needs.
>
> I'm wondering if the problem might be HDMI-related and whether it sounds
> familiar to folks on this list. Any help is welcome.

Sounds like our pixel clock is probably out of the range your monitor
wants.  If you can get that mode running with the VESA driver you could
collect a register dump in the good and bad cases so we could compare...

* Re: Dell U2412M monitor complains about input timing
@ 2013-07-09 21:46   ` Christian Kreibich
From: Christian Kreibich @ 2013-07-09 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Barnes; +Cc: intel-gfx

On 07/09/2013 02:27 PM, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Sounds like our pixel clock is probably out of the range your monitor
> wants.  If you can get that mode running with the VESA driver you could
> collect a register dump in the good and bad cases so we could compare...

I'm very happy to try (though it'll have to wait ~2 weeks as I'm on
travel). Can you point me at the right command for collecting the
register dump?

-C.

* Re: Dell U2412M monitor complains about input timing
@ 2013-07-09 21:51     ` Jesse Barnes
From: Jesse Barnes @ 2013-07-09 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Kreibich; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 14:46:28 -0700
Christian Kreibich <christian@whoop.org> wrote:

> On 07/09/2013 02:27 PM, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > Sounds like our pixel clock is probably out of the range your monitor
> > wants.  If you can get that mode running with the VESA driver you could
> > collect a register dump in the good and bad cases so we could compare...
>
> I'm very happy to try (though it'll have to wait ~2 weeks as I'm on
> travel). Can you point me at the right command for collecting the
> register dump?

You can use intel_reg_dumper or quick_dump from intel-gpu-tools.
Hopefully your distro has it packaged, otherwise you can build the
version at git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/app/intel-gpu-tools.

* Re: Dell U2412M monitor complains about input timing
@ 2013-07-09 21:57       ` Christian Kreibich
From: Christian Kreibich @ 2013-07-09 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Barnes; +Cc: intel-gfx

On 07/09/2013 02:51 PM, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> You can use intel_reg_dumper or quick_dump from intel-gpu-tools.
> Hopefully your distro has it packaged, otherwise you can build the
> version at git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/app/intel-gpu-tools.

Great, thx! I'll follow up once I've had a chance to try this out.

-C.

* Re: Dell U2412M monitor complains about input timing
@ 2013-07-25  0:21         ` Christian Kreibich
From: Christian Kreibich @ 2013-07-25  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Fyi, it turns out that replacing the HDMI cable + DVI adapter fixed the
problem. Sorry for the noise.

-C.