* Question about upstream qemu and seabios on xen git
@ 2013-07-26 14:17 Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2013-07-26 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini, Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson, George Dunlap

I continue to do periodical test of xen-unstable with latest stable
and/or unstable upstream qemu and seabios version.
Today for example I start to test qemu 1.5.1, no bugs found for now.

I think is better to maintain updated upstream qemu and seabios also on
xen gits while xen is not "code freeze".
For xen develop/testing xen gits are mainly used, but on production the
distributions will use latest stable qemu version (for example on debian
experimental is releasing xen 4.3 and qemu is already 1.5.1 on debian
unstable but xen 4.3 was freezed with qemu 1.3 and mainly tested with it).
Therefore should be best to have all components early updated as possible.

An example of a critical bug found testing latest qemu version (hvm
domUs with qemu 1.4 was unable to boot with stdvga) found using more
updated qemu that was already on debian repository but not on git used
by xen:
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=2e814a017155b885e4d4b5a88dc05e7367a9722a

Thanks for any reply

* Re: Question about upstream qemu and seabios on xen git
@ 2013-07-29  9:06 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-07-29  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Fantoni; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Stefano Stabellini

On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 16:17 +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> I continue to do periodical test of xen-unstable with latest stable
> and/or unstable upstream qemu and seabios version.
> Today for example I start to test qemu 1.5.1, no bugs found for now.
>
> I think is better to maintain updated upstream qemu and seabios also on
> xen gits while xen is not "code freeze".
> For xen develop/testing xen gits are mainly used, but on production the
> distributions will use latest stable qemu version (for example on debian
> experimental is releasing xen 4.3 and qemu is already 1.5.1 on debian
> unstable but xen 4.3 was freezed with qemu 1.3 and mainly tested with it).
> Therefore should be best to have all components early updated as possible.

I'm not entirely sure what you are suggesting but it sounds like you
simply want to pull upstream qemu and seabios for testing purposes? If
so then I think there is nothing wrong with pulling these directly from
their respective upstreams, so long as you clearly indicate this (and
the version being tested) in any bug reports.

Ian.

@ 2013-07-29 10:03   ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2013-07-29 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Stefano Stabellini

Il 29/07/2013 11:06, Ian Campbell ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 16:17 +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
>> I continue to do periodical test of xen-unstable with latest stable
>> and/or unstable upstream qemu and seabios version.
>> Today for example I start to test qemu 1.5.1, no bugs found for now.
>>
>> I think is better to maintain updated upstream qemu and seabios also on
>> xen gits while xen is not "code freeze".
>> For xen develop/testing xen gits are mainly used, but on production the
>> distributions will use latest stable qemu version (for example on debian
>> experimental is releasing xen 4.3 and qemu is already 1.5.1 on debian
>> unstable but xen 4.3 was freezed with qemu 1.3 and mainly tested with it).
>> Therefore should be best to have all components early updated as possible.
> I'm not entirely sure what you are suggesting but it sounds like you
> simply want to pull upstream qemu and seabios for testing purposes? If
> so then I think there is nothing wrong with pulling these directly from
> their respective upstreams, so long as you clearly indicate this (and
> the version being tested) in any bug reports.
>
> Ian.

Thanks for reply.
To test latest upstream qemu and seabios version I already use debian
packages (latest stable version) or I change Config.mk of xen to point
upstream gits instead (for unstable version).
Based of my example of some months ago its seem that xen
developers/testers are using only xen git except rare cases, so I mean
that xen gits of qemu and seabios should pull from upstream gits most
frequently.

@ 2013-07-29 11:27     ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2013-07-29 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Fantoni
  Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Ian Campbell, Stefano Stabellini

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 29/07/2013 11:06, Ian Campbell ha scritto:
> > On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 16:17 +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> > > I continue to do periodical test of xen-unstable with latest stable
> > > and/or unstable upstream qemu and seabios version.
> > > Today for example I start to test qemu 1.5.1, no bugs found for now.
> > >
> > > I think is better to maintain updated upstream qemu and seabios also on
> > > xen gits while xen is not "code freeze".
> > > For xen develop/testing xen gits are mainly used, but on production the
> > > distributions will use latest stable qemu version (for example on debian
> > > experimental is releasing xen 4.3 and qemu is already 1.5.1 on debian
> > > unstable but xen 4.3 was freezed with qemu 1.3 and mainly tested with it).
> > > Therefore should be best to have all components early updated as possible.
> > I'm not entirely sure what you are suggesting but it sounds like you
> > simply want to pull upstream qemu and seabios for testing purposes? If
> > so then I think there is nothing wrong with pulling these directly from
> > their respective upstreams, so long as you clearly indicate this (and
> > the version being tested) in any bug reports.
> >
> > Ian.
>
> Thanks for reply.
> To test latest upstream qemu and seabios version I already use debian packages
> (latest stable version) or I change Config.mk of xen to point upstream gits
> instead (for unstable version).
> Based of my example of some months ago its seem that xen developers/testers
> are using only xen git except rare cases, so I mean that xen gits of qemu and
> seabios should pull from upstream gits most frequently.

I think you are right, in fact I intend to update the QEMU tree for
xen-unstable very soon, basing it on the latest release, 1.5.2.

* Re: Question about upstream qemu and seabios on xen git
@ 2013-07-29 12:11       ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2013-07-29 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: George Dunlap, xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Ian Campbell

Il 29/07/2013 13:27, Stefano Stabellini ha scritto:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, Fabio Fantoni wrote:

>>> I'm not entirely sure what you are suggesting but it sounds like you
>>> simply want to pull upstream qemu and seabios for testing purposes? If
>>> so then I think there is nothing wrong with pulling these directly from
>>> their respective upstreams, so long as you clearly indicate this (and
>>> the version being tested) in any bug reports.
>>>
>>> Ian.
>> Thanks for reply.
>> To test latest upstream qemu and seabios version I already use debian packages
>> (latest stable version) or I change Config.mk of xen to point upstream gits
>> instead (for unstable version).
>> Based of my example of some months ago its seem that xen developers/testers
>> are using only xen git except rare cases, so I mean that xen gits of qemu and
>> seabios should pull from upstream gits most frequently.
> I think you are right, in fact I intend to update the QEMU tree for
> xen-unstable very soon, basing it on the latest release, 1.5.2.
Thanks.
I have a question also about enabling spice on xen's qemu compile.
Last year I propose to add it with 3 method, all rejected.
Newer distribution version have all spice prerequisite packages, so this
option is quite worth for me.
libxl has already spice basic support and I started to post some patch
to make it full features.