* unable to unblock Bluetooth
@ 2013-07-27 13:45 Tomas Pospisek
From: Tomas Pospisek @ 2013-07-27 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hello

I am not able to unblock Bluetooth:

# rfkill unblock all
# rfkill list 4
4: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
         Soft blocked: yes
         Hard blocked: no

The Bluetooth layer remains "Soft blocked".

My system looks like this:

- Linux: 3.11-rc1
- Userspace: Debian wheezy
- rfkill: 0.5
- HW: HP dv7 6130ez
- Bluetooth probably provided by:
  # lspci
  0d:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT5390
 [802.11 b/g/n 1T1R G-band PCI Express Single Chip]

Kernel logs show no trace of a problem:

  Bluetooth: Core ver 2.16
  Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
  Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
  Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
  Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
  Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
  Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
  Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
  Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
  Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
  Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized

I had to provide some firware in order for the Bluetooth device to show
up in rfkill. I copied those firmware blobs over from Debian's
"firmware-ralink" package. It must be one of these:

rt2661.bin
rtl_nic
rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
RTL8192SU
RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
rt2561.bin
rt2870.bin
rt2860.bin
rt73.bin
rt3070.bin
rtlwifi
rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU_B.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192defw.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin
rt3071.bin
rt3090.bin
rt2561s.bin
RTL8192E
RTL8192E/main.img
RTL8192E/boot.img
RTL8192E/data.img

Additional possibly useful info:

  # lsmod |grep blue
  bluetooth             169854  10 bnep,rfcomm
  rfkill                 19242  6 cfg80211,hp_wmi,bluetooth
  crc16                  12343  2 ext4,bluetooth

What can I do to unblock the Bluetooth?

Thank you,
*t

* Re: unable to unblock Bluetooth
@ 2013-07-28 18:57 ` Pat Erley
From: Pat Erley @ 2013-07-28 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Pospisek; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 07/27/2013 09:45 AM, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am not able to unblock Bluetooth:
>
> # rfkill unblock all
> # rfkill list 4
> 4: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
>           Soft blocked: yes
>           Hard blocked: no
>
> The Bluetooth layer remains "Soft blocked".
>
> My system looks like this:
>
> - Linux: 3.11-rc1
> - Userspace: Debian wheezy
> - rfkill: 0.5
> - HW: HP dv7 6130ez
> - Bluetooth probably provided by:
>    # lspci
>    0d:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT5390
>   [802.11 b/g/n 1T1R G-band PCI Express Single Chip]
>
> Kernel logs show no trace of a problem:
>
>    Bluetooth: Core ver 2.16
>    Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
>    Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
>    Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
>    Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
>    Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
>    Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
>    Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
>    Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
>    Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
>    Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
>
> I had to provide some firware in order for the Bluetooth device to show
> up in rfkill. I copied those firmware blobs over from Debian's
> "firmware-ralink" package. It must be one of these:
>
> rt2661.bin
> rtl_nic
> rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
> RTL8192SU
> RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
> rt2561.bin
> rt2870.bin
> rt2860.bin
> rt73.bin
> rt3070.bin
> rtlwifi
> rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU_B.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192defw.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin
> rt3071.bin
> rt3090.bin
> rt2561s.bin
> RTL8192E
> RTL8192E/main.img
> RTL8192E/boot.img
> RTL8192E/data.img
>
> Additional possibly useful info:
>
>    # lsmod |grep blue
>    bluetooth             169854  10 bnep,rfcomm
>    rfkill                 19242  6 cfg80211,hp_wmi,bluetooth
>    crc16                  12343  2 ext4,bluetooth
>
> What can I do to unblock the Bluetooth?
>
> Thank you,
> *t

lsusb might be useful here too.  hp_wmi hooked into rfkill might mean
that hp-wmi is setting that soft block.  Perhaps you have a keyboard
combo to unblock it?

Pat Erley

* Re: unable to unblock Bluetooth
@ 2013-07-28 21:01   ` Tomas Pospisek
From: Tomas Pospisek @ 2013-07-28 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Am 28.07.2013 20:57, schrieb Pat Erley:
> [...]
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU_B.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192defw.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin
>> rt3071.bin
>> rt3090.bin
>> rt2561s.bin
>> RTL8192E
>> RTL8192E/main.img
>> RTL8192E/boot.img
>> RTL8192E/data.img
>>
>> Additional possibly useful info:
>>
>>    # lsmod |grep blue
>>    bluetooth             169854  10 bnep,rfcomm
>>    rfkill                 19242  6 cfg80211,hp_wmi,bluetooth
>>    crc16                  12343  2 ext4,bluetooth
>>
>> What can I do to unblock the Bluetooth?
>
> lsusb might be useful here too.  hp_wmi hooked into rfkill might mean
> that hp-wmi is setting that soft block.  Perhaps you have a keyboard

Thanks Pat, there's only the "lighthouse" button, that I'm interpreting
as wifi on/off button. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any
"bluetooth" or related button.

As for:
# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 138a:0018 Validity Sensors, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 064e:e258 Suyin Corp.

"Validity Sensors" seems to be the fingerprint reader and "Suyin Corp."
seems to be the laptop camera.

I wrote Matthew Garrett the hp_wmi author, but haven heard back. I'm not
sure, maybe I shouldn't contact him directly or maybe he's just busy or
on holidays currently.

If anybody can point out to me what direction to take from here I'd be
very glad.

Thanks,
*t
*t