* Implement a tool of flashing EEPROM to update the VPD data
@ 2020-05-22 10:58 Andy_YF_Wang
From: Andy_YF_Wang @ 2020-05-22 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: santosh.puranik.ibm, andrewg

Hi Santosh,

> Which VPD format are you interested in updating?
I'm interested in OpenPower VPD format update.

> Assuming you are using the OpenPower VPD format, there is a tool being implemented in the series of patches here:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openpower-vpd-parser/ /30239

Ok, that's great!
I'll study this repository.
My initial idea is using this tool (API) to update the MAC, BMC's PartNumber, BMC's SerialNumber and BMC's PrettyName of the VPD data on EEPROM.
Then update the VPD data by filling in the Json file.
The API reads the data in Json and writes to the EEPROM to update the VPD.
The above is my initial idea, I would like to ask you whether this is feasible?
Or do you have any concern for this idea?
Thanks

Andy YF Wang+

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email contains confidential or legally privileged information and is for the sole use of its intended recipient.
Any unauthorized review, use, copying or distribution of this email or the content of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may reply to the sender and should delete this e-mail immediately.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Re: Implement a tool of flashing EEPROM to update the VPD data
@ 2020-05-21 10:52 ` Santosh Puranik
From: Santosh Puranik @ 2020-05-21 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy_YF_Wang, openbmc; +Cc: andrewg, wangat

Hi,

On 5/21/20 3:40 PM, Andy_YF_Wang@wistron.com wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I plan to implement a tool of flashing EEPROM to update the VPD
> data(MAC, BMC's PartNumber, BMC's SerialNumber and BMC's PrettyName)
> recently.
>
> Then I didn’t find a similar tool or module on the existing
> respository of openbmc.
>
> So can I create a new respository to implement this tool?
>
> Or does anyone have any other better comments or suggestions?

Which VPD format are you interested in updating? Assuming you are using
the OpenPower VPD format,
there is a tool being implemented in the series of patches here:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openpower-vpd-parser/+/30239
That can currently handle OpenPower and IBM format VPD and relies on the
VPD being represented as
D-Bus objects, but we'd be happy to see that getting extended to just
doing EEPROM writes.
--
Santosh

@ 2020-05-21 10:10 Andy_YF_Wang