* blk-mq: preparation of the ground for BFQ inclusion
@ 2016-11-14 22:13 Paolo Valente
From: Paolo Valente @ 2016-11-14 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Mark Brown, Ulf Hansson, Omar Sandoval, Jan Kara,
	Bart Van Assche, linux-block, Christoph Hellwig

Hi Jens,
have you had time to look into the first extensions/changes required?
Any time plan?

Thanks,
Paolo

* Re: blk-mq: preparation of the ground for BFQ inclusion
@ 2016-11-14 22:42 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2016-11-14 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Valente
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Mark Brown, Ulf Hansson, Omar Sandoval, Jan Kara,

On 11/14/2016 03:13 PM, Paolo Valente wrote:
> Hi Jens,
> have you had time to look into the first extensions/changes required?
> Any time plan?

I was busy last week on the writeback and on the polling. I should have
something end this week.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: blk-mq: preparation of the ground for BFQ inclusion
@ 2016-12-01 21:03   ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2016-12-01 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Valente
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Mark Brown, Ulf Hansson, Omar Sandoval, Jan Kara,

On 11/14/2016 03:42 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 11/14/2016 03:13 PM, Paolo Valente wrote:
>> Hi Jens,
>> have you had time to look into the first extensions/changes required?
>> Any time plan?
>
> I was busy last week on the writeback and on the polling. I should have
> something end this week.

It's coming together, running some testing and fixing some issues. But I
now have unmodified legacy IO schedulers running under blk-mq, for
single queue devices. Scheduler queue depth is independent of the device
queue depth.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: blk-mq: preparation of the ground for BFQ inclusion
@ 2016-12-02  0:27     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2016-12-02  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Valente
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Mark Brown, Ulf Hansson, Omar Sandoval, Jan Kara,

On 12/01/2016 02:03 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 11/14/2016 03:42 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 11/14/2016 03:13 PM, Paolo Valente wrote:
>>> Hi Jens,
>>> have you had time to look into the first extensions/changes required?
>>> Any time plan?
>>
>> I was busy last week on the writeback and on the polling. I should have
>> something end this week.
>
> It's coming together, running some testing and fixing some issues. But I
> now have unmodified legacy IO schedulers running under blk-mq, for
> single queue devices. Scheduler queue depth is independent of the device
> queue depth.

Here is the branch, btw:

http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/log/?h=for-4.11/blk-mq-legacy-sched

if you want to look at it or test it. It's not in a clean state, I
wanted to get this reasonably working before cleaning it up. Should be
ready for testing, I've successfully run various IO tests on deadline
and CFQ with null_blk loaded with queue_mode=2 submit_queues=1
use_sched=1.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: blk-mq: preparation of the ground for BFQ inclusion
@ 2016-12-02  7:38       ` Paolo Valente
From: Paolo Valente @ 2016-12-02  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Mark Brown, Ulf Hansson, Omar Sandoval, Jan Kara,

http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/log/?h=3Dfor-4.11/blk-mq-legacy-sche=
>=20
> if you want to look at it or test it. It's not in a clean state, I
> wanted to get this reasonably working before cleaning it up. Should be
> ready for testing, I've successfully run various IO tests on deadline
> and CFQ with null_blk loaded with queue_mode=3D2 submit_queues=3D1
> use_sched=3D1.
>=20

Good news!

I'm familiarizing with your patch.  To avoid useless, too-early report,
tell me if/when I can start doing some test too.

Thanks,
Paolo

@ 2016-12-02 14:38         ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2016-12-02 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Valente
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Mark Brown, Ulf Hansson, Omar Sandoval, Jan Kara,

On 12/02/2016 12:38 AM, Paolo Valente wrote:

>> Il giorno 02 dic 2016, alle ore 01:27, Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk> ha scritto:

>>> It's coming together, running some testing and fixing some issues. But I
>>> now have unmodified legacy IO schedulers running under blk-mq, for
>>> single queue devices. Scheduler queue depth is independent of the device
>>> queue depth.
>>
>> Here is the branch, btw:
>>
>> http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/log/?h=for-4.11/blk-mq-legacy-sched
>>
>> if you want to look at it or test it. It's not in a clean state, I
>> wanted to get this reasonably working before cleaning it up. Should be
>> ready for testing, I've successfully run various IO tests on deadline
>> and CFQ with null_blk loaded with queue_mode=2 submit_queues=1
>> use_sched=1.
>>

> Good news!
>
> I'm familiarizing with your patch.  To avoid useless, too-early report,
> tell me if/when I can start doing some test too.

Hopefully after today, trying to shake out a bug related to non file
system requests that's making SCSI probing broken. Once that's fixed up,
stability should be fine for testing.

--
Jens Axboe