* [Buildroot] package/boost: Optimization is always -O3
@ 2020-08-04 13:47 Michael Nosthoff
From: Michael Nosthoff @ 2020-08-04 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

while doing some debugging on code which uses boost_program_options I stumbled upon a possible issue
with the boost package.

It seems that the boost object files are always built with the -O3 option.

I'm building for an arm32 system using gcc 9.2.1.
My Buildroot 2020.05.1 config contains:

BR2_OPTIMIZE_S
BR2_SHARED_LIBS
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_ARM_ARM
BR2_PACKAGE_BOOST
BR2_PACKAGE_BOOST_LAYOUT_SYSTEM
BR2_PACKAGE_BOOST_PROGRAM_OPTIONS

I adjusted the boost.mk with '-d+2' to get the used build commands.

So when building I see the following:

"/build/build/host/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-g++"   -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE \
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -Os   -fPIC -pthread -O3 -finline-functions -Wno-inline \
-Wall -fvisibility=hidden  -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB=1 -DBOOST_PROGRAM_OPTIONS_DYN_LINK=1 -DNDEBUG  -I"." -c -o \
"bin.v2/libs/program_options/build/gcc-9.2.1/release/threading-multi/visibility-hidden/positional_options.o" \
"libs/program_options/src/positional_options.cpp"

Notice how there is -Os followed by an -O3 flag.

The part up to the -Os is the <cxxflags> from the buildroot generated user-config.jam file.
Everything after is generated while compiling.

I tinkered around a bit more. When I set "variant=debug" the second -O changes to -O0.
So this seems depend on the variant and basically ignores the value from the flags.

This jam stuff is pretty complicated to grasp, but I think this basically is defined in [0].
This is actually documented at [1].

Nevertheless the boost build system knows another parameter: <optimization>

So maybe this would be the way to go to configure the optimization level.

Available values are:

off, speed and space. which translate to -O0, -03 and -Os. (from [2])

So this wouldn't be mappable cleanly to all optimization levels Buildroot knows.
I didn't find a senseable way to set the -O level manually so it is not overwritten by boost,
but maybe somebody has an idea...

If there is interest I could come up with a patch mapping the optimization values.

Regards,
Michael

[0] https://github.com/boostorg/build/blob/develop/src/tools/builtin.jam#L48
[1] https://boostorg.github.io/build/manual/master/index.html#bbv2.overview.builtins.features
[2] https://github.com/boostorg/build/blob/master/src/tools/gcc.jam#L707

* [Buildroot] package/boost: Optimization is always -O3
@ 2020-08-04 21:31 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-08-04 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Michael,

On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 15:47:59 +0200
"Michael Nosthoff" <buildroot@heine.tech> wrote:

> while doing some debugging on code which uses boost_program_options I stumbled upon a possible issue
> with the boost package.
>
> It seems that the boost object files are always built with the -O3 option.
>
> I'm building for an arm32 system using gcc 9.2.1.
> My Buildroot 2020.05.1 config contains:
>
> BR2_OPTIMIZE_S
> BR2_SHARED_LIBS
> BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL
> BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_ARM_ARM
> BR2_PACKAGE_BOOST
> BR2_PACKAGE_BOOST_LAYOUT_SYSTEM
> BR2_PACKAGE_BOOST_PROGRAM_OPTIONS
>

> I adjusted the boost.mk with '-d+2' to get the used build commands.
>
> So when building I see the following:
>
> "/build/build/host/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-g++"   -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE \
> -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -Os   -fPIC -pthread -O3 -finline-functions -Wno-inline \
> -Wall -fvisibility=hidden  -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB=1 -DBOOST_PROGRAM_OPTIONS_DYN_LINK=1 -DNDEBUG  -I"." -c -o \
> "bin.v2/libs/program_options/build/gcc-9.2.1/release/threading-multi/visibility-hidden/positional_options.o" \
> "libs/program_options/src/positional_options.cpp"
>
> Notice how there is -Os followed by an -O3 flag.
>
> The part up to the -Os is the <cxxflags> from the buildroot generated user-config.jam file.
> Everything after is generated while compiling.
>
> I tinkered around a bit more. When I set "variant=debug" the second -O changes to -O0.
> So this seems depend on the variant and basically ignores the value from the flags.
>
> This jam stuff is pretty complicated to grasp

This is an understatement :-)

>, but I think this basically is defined in [0].
> This is actually documented at [1].
>
> Nevertheless the boost build system knows another parameter: <optimization>
>
> So maybe this would be the way to go to configure the optimization level.
>
> Available values are:
>
> off, speed and space. which translate to -O0, -03 and -Os. (from [2])
>
> So this wouldn't be mappable cleanly to all optimization levels Buildroot knows.
> I didn't find a senseable way to set the -O level manually so it is not overwritten by boost,
> but maybe somebody has an idea...

What about simply doing a $(SED) replacement on that gcc.jam file
before the build, so that whatever optimization level Buildroot uses is
the one that Boost will use ?

Yes, it's not the nicest solution, but the Jam stuff is also difficult
to work with, so it could be a reasonable trade-off.

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] package/boost: Optimization is always -O3
@ 2020-08-05 12:29   ` Michael Nosthoff
From: Michael Nosthoff @ 2020-08-05 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas ,

On Tuesday, August 04, 2020 23:31 CEST, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:

> > So this wouldn't be mappable cleanly to all optimization levels Buildroot knows.
> > I didn't find a senseable way to set the -O level manually so it is not overwritten by boost,
> > but maybe somebody has an idea...
>
> What about simply doing a $(SED) replacement on that gcc.jam file
> before the build, so that whatever optimization level Buildroot uses is
> the one that Boost will use ?
>
> Yes, it's not the nicest solution, but the Jam stuff is also difficult
> to work with, so it could be a reasonable trade-off.

At first I felt a bit dirty modifying the .jam file but then I found this mail from the
boost developers who suggest [0] basically that (with a copy of the gcc.jam).

But even more luckily someone in a reply figured out how to overwrite those
values using the user-config.jam file [1]. So I have taken this approach.

I'll submit a patch shortly. Let's see what you think.

Regards,
Michael

[0] https://lists.boost.org/boost-build/2007/07/16838.php
[1] https://lists.boost.org/boost-build/2007/07/16955.php

* [Buildroot] package/boost: Optimization is always -O3
@ 2020-08-05 12:42     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-08-05 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 14:29:49 +0200
"Michael Nosthoff" <buildroot@heine.tech> wrote:

> At first I felt a bit dirty modifying the .jam file but then I found this mail from the
> boost developers who suggest [0] basically that (with a copy of the gcc.jam).
>
> But even more luckily someone in a reply figured out how to overwrite those
> values using the user-config.jam file [1]. So I have taken this approach.

Yes, I had seen those e-mails. It looks like a good approach.

> I'll submit a patch shortly. Let's see what you think.

Thanks a lot!

Thomas