* ceph-deploy progress and CDS session
@ 2013-08-02 18:02 Sage Weil
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1308021100150.22864-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-08-02 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

There is a session at CDS scheduled to discuss ceph-deploy (4:40pm PDT on
Monday).  We'll be going over what we currently have in backlog for
improvements, but if you have any opinions about what else ceph-deploy
should or should not do or areas where it is problematic, please reply to
this thread to let us know what you think, and/or join the CDS discussion
hangout.

For those who haven't noticed, we now have a full-time devoloper,
Alfredo Deza, who is working on ceph-deploy.  He's been making huge
progress over the last couple of weeks improving error reporting,
visibility into what ceph-deploy is doing, and fixing various bugs.  We
have a long list of things we want to do with the tool, but any feedback
from users is helpful to make sure we're working on the right things
first!

sage

* Re: ceph-deploy progress and CDS session
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1308021100150.22864-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-08-02 18:39   ` Dewan Shamsul Alam
From: Dewan Shamsul Alam @ 2013-08-02 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users

There should be a like button for emails too, so that I can like Sage's
update on ceph-deploy. :)

@ 2013-08-02 19:44   ` Eric Eastman
From: Eric Eastman @ 2013-08-02 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sage-4GqslpFJ+cxBDgjK7y7TUQ, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Hi,

First I would like to state that with all its limitiation, I have
managed to build multiple
clusters with ceph-deploy and without it, I would have been totally
lost.  Things
that I feel would improve it include:

A debug mode where it lists everything it is doing.  This will be
helpful in the future
when I move to a more integrated tool then ceph-deploy, as I could see
exactly
how ceph-deploy built my test cluster.

To understand more types of linux storage devices. I have spent hours
trying to make it
understand multipath devices, as I happen to have a large number of
these in my lab,
but so far I have not made it work.

Really good documentation on all the ceph-deploy options.

Lastly, this is not just a ceph-deploy thing, but documentation
explaining how things
boot up, and interact.  Ceph-deploy depends on tools like ceph-disk to
mount OSD
disks on the servers during boot, and I learned the hard way that if a
OSD is on a LUN
that is seen by more then one OSD node, you can corrupt data, as each
OSD node
tries to mount all the ODS it can find.

>There is a session at CDS scheduled to discuss ceph-deploy (4:40pm PDT
on
>Monday).  We'll be going over what we currently have in backlog for
>improvements, but if you have any opinions about what else ceph-deploy
>should or should not do or areas where it is problematic, please reply
>this thread to let us know what you think, and/or join the CDS
discussion
>hangout.

Thank
Eric

@ 2013-08-07  1:34   ` Mark Kirkwood
From: Mark Kirkwood @ 2013-08-07  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA; +Cc: ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

One thing that comes to mind is the ability to create (or activate)
osd's with a custom crush specification from (say) a supplied file.

Regards

Mark