* WL-1700USB connection unstable
@ 2013-08-07 18:08 Kristian Skračić
From: Kristian Skračić @ 2013-08-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hello,

For about 6 months now I have been using the WL-1700USB wireless
adapter. I am using Debian (7) and the rtl8187 driver, while my wireless
is protected with WPA2-PSK.
After I connect to my router via the adapter, everything works fine for
a short while (about 10minutes), and after that the connection speed
starts falling until it is completely frozen and i can't even ping
Google, let alone open a web page.

The adapter works fine on windows, but so far every distribution and/or
fix i tried works the same (I tried Debian 6, Arch linux, Ubuntu 11 and
12...).

I have tried lowering the rate, tx power and other options listed here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rtl8187_wireless#Connection_always_times_out

I tried playing with the channel settings for the wireless network on my
router - same results.
Another strange think i noticed (although perhaps not relevant to the
deterioration of speed) is that the blue LED light on the adapter is
allways blinking extremely rapidly in all linux distros i tried. While
on Windows, it blinks depending on the current amount of network traffic
(although, even when i am downloading something at full speed on windows
the LED light does not blink that rapidly!).

Hope I gave enough information for someone to point me in the right
direction.
Any feedback regarding this issue is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Kristian

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-08-07 18:08 UTC | newest]