* [Buildroot] Processor clasification
@ 2013-08-13 15:23 Sagaert Johan
From: Sagaert Johan @ 2013-08-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all;

What is the correct classification ?

When entering uname -a , the cpu spec is specified as armv6l , so what is the relation with the selection menu
example CORTEX A9..

So if i have a cpu that tells me from the datasheet it is an 'armv6te' what is then the right selection in the cpu variant menu ?
It confuses me a bit.

Regards  Johan

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Processor clasification
@ 2013-08-13 17:21 ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2013-08-13 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 08/13/2013 12:23 PM, Sagaert Johan wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> What is the correct classification ?
>
> When entering uname -a , the cpu spec is specified as armv6l , so what
> is the relation with the selection menu
> example CORTEX A9..
>
> So if i have a cpu that tells me from the datasheet it is an 'armv6te'
> what is then the right selection in the cpu variant menu ?
> It confuses me a bit.

Hi.
Cortex A9 & co are ARM cores (ARM920, ARM926, Cortex-A8, and so on).
armvX (X = number) is the ISA implemented, for instance the lowest
common these days would be armv4.
The letters after the ISA number are options, for example T means the
processor supports the thumb instruction set extension... say... armv4t
(some cores support more or less stuff depending on what the vendor chose).
The L means little-endian configuration.
v4 ISA is basically arm 920/922 cores.
v5 ISA is the very common arm 926 core.
v6 ISA are the arm 11 (36/56/76) cores.
v7 ISA are the Cortex A* cores.
v8 ISA are the 64-bit Aarch64 cores.
Usually looking at /proc/cpuinfo can give you some extra detail, for
instance some Cortex A* cores support VFP math and other don't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ARM_microprocessor_cores is pretty
accurate.

Regards.