* Enabling x264 support in gstreamer
@ 2013-08-13 17:29 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-08-13 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

I see that some of the gstreamer recipes have changed so that x264
is now a PACKAGECONFIG option.  However, I don't see anything that
enables this option anywhere.

How do I get x264 support back - it was working with Poky/Yocto
just a few weeks back...

Note: I have imported meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/x264 from meta-openembedded
into my layers for this [library] package.

Thanks

* Re: Enabling x264 support in gstreamer
@ 2013-08-13 17:36 ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2013-08-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29:10AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I see that some of the gstreamer recipes have changed so that x264
> is now a PACKAGECONFIG option.  However, I don't see anything that
> enables this option anywhere.
>
> How do I get x264 support back - it was working with Poky/Yocto
> just a few weeks back...
>
> Note: I have imported meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/x264 from meta-openembedded
> into my layers for this [library] package.

Add x264 to PACKAGECONFIG in your .bbappend or distro config as
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-gst-foo = " x264"

--
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: Enabling x264 support in gstreamer
@ 2013-08-13 17:37 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2013-08-13 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 8/13/13 12:29 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I see that some of the gstreamer recipes have changed so that x264
> is now a PACKAGECONFIG option.  However, I don't see anything that
> enables this option anywhere.
>
> How do I get x264 support back - it was working with Poky/Yocto
> just a few weeks back...
>
> Note: I have imported meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/x264 from meta-openembedded
> into my layers for this [library] package.

I havn't worked with this myself, but my guess is.  In your distribution.conf
file (or your local.conf):

PACKAGECONFIG_gst-plugins-ugly = "x264"

or

PACKAGECONFIG_gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly = "a52dec lame mad mpeg2dec x264"

@ 2013-08-13 19:26   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2013-08-13 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 2013-08-13 11:36, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29:10AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I see that some of the gstreamer recipes have changed so that x264
>> is now a PACKAGECONFIG option.  However, I don't see anything that
>> enables this option anywhere.
>>
>> How do I get x264 support back - it was working with Poky/Yocto
>> just a few weeks back...
>>
>> Note: I have imported meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/x264 from meta-openembedded
>> into my layers for this [library] package.
>
> Add x264 to PACKAGECONFIG in your .bbappend or distro config as
> PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-gst-foo = " x264"

Thanks, although this seems very cumbersome to me.  Is this the only
(or at least expected) way for this to work?

I didn't find the section in the manual that discusses this to be very
enlightening.  It tells me *how* to use PACKAGECONFIG in a recipe but
not really *why* nor how to control it in a build/image/distro.

* Re: Enabling x264 support in gstreamer
@ 2013-08-13 19:36     ` Phil Blundell
From: Phil Blundell @ 2013-08-13 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 13:26 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2013-08-13 11:36, Martin Jansa wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29:10AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> >> I see that some of the gstreamer recipes have changed so that x264
> >> is now a PACKAGECONFIG option.  However, I don't see anything that
> >> enables this option anywhere.
> >>
> >> How do I get x264 support back - it was working with Poky/Yocto
> >> just a few weeks back...
> >>
> >> Note: I have imported meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/x264 from meta-openembedded
> >> into my layers for this [library] package.
> >
> > Add x264 to PACKAGECONFIG in your .bbappend or distro config as
> > PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-gst-foo = " x264"
>
> Thanks, although this seems very cumbersome to me.  Is this the only
> (or at least expected) way for this to work?

Well, if it's in a .bbappend (rather than distro.conf) then you don't
need the _append_pn-gst-foo bit, you can just write

PACKAGECONFIG += "x264"

which is probably a bit neater and more intuitive.  But if you don't
already have a .bbappend for that recipe then you might not want to add
one just for that, it's just a matter of taste which you prefer.

Other than that, yes, this is basically how PACKAGECONFIG is intended to
be used.  Some recipes set a default PACKAGECONFIG based on
DISTRO_FEATURES, but in the general case it's just a variable that you
need to set appropriately.

The thing that's a bit unsatisfactory about this approach is that we
don't have any equivalent to DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL for recipe-local
PACKAGECONFIG options, which means that introducing new switches for
things that were previously default-on tends to cause unexpected
breakage of the sort that you've observed.  It would be good to figure
out a better way of dealing with that.

p.

* Re: Enabling x264 support in gstreamer
@ 2013-08-13 19:42       ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2013-08-13 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Blundell; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Tuesday 13 August 2013 20:36:09 Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 13:26 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> > > Add x264 to PACKAGECONFIG in your .bbappend or distro config as
> > > PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-gst-foo = " x264"
> >
> > Thanks, although this seems very cumbersome to me.  Is this the only
> > (or at least expected) way for this to work?
>
> Well, if it's in a .bbappend (rather than distro.conf) then you don't
> need the _append_pn-gst-foo bit, you can just write
>
> PACKAGECONFIG += "x264"
>
> which is probably a bit neater and more intuitive.  But if you don't
> already have a .bbappend for that recipe then you might not want to add
> one just for that, it's just a matter of taste which you prefer.
>
> Other than that, yes, this is basically how PACKAGECONFIG is intended to
> be used.  Some recipes set a default PACKAGECONFIG based on
> DISTRO_FEATURES, but in the general case it's just a variable that you
> need to set appropriately.
>
> The thing that's a bit unsatisfactory about this approach is that we
> don't have any equivalent to DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL for recipe-local
> PACKAGECONFIG options, which means that introducing new switches for
> things that were previously default-on tends to cause unexpected
> breakage of the sort that you've observed.  It would be good to figure
> out a better way of dealing with that.

The thing is for the option in question wasn't default-on before, it was
silently on or off depending on the availability of x264. Since x264 was
unavailable to most users of OE-Core alone the correct thing to do was to
default it to off, so backfilling couldn't have helped here.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Enabling x264 support in gstreamer
@ 2013-08-13 19:45   ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2013-08-13 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Tuesday 13 August 2013 12:37:19 Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 8/13/13 12:29 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > I see that some of the gstreamer recipes have changed so that x264
> > is now a PACKAGECONFIG option.  However, I don't see anything that
> > enables this option anywhere.
> >
> > How do I get x264 support back - it was working with Poky/Yocto
> > just a few weeks back...
> >
> > Note: I have imported meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/x264 from
> > meta-openembedded into my layers for this [library] package.
>
> I havn't worked with this myself, but my guess is.  In your
> distribution.conf file (or your local.conf):
>
> PACKAGECONFIG_gst-plugins-ugly = "x264"
>
> or
>
> PACKAGECONFIG_gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly = "a52dec lame mad mpeg2dec x264"

You missed out the "pn-" which is necessary for such per-recipe overrides to
work. The correct examples would be:

PACKAGECONFIG_pn-gst-plugins-ugly = "x264"

or

PACKAGECONFIG_pn-gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly = "a52dec lame mad mpeg2dec x264"

If preferred you could use ..._append_pn-... = " x264" to add to the existing
options rather than setting them outright.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2013-08-13 20:09       ` Martin Jansa