* Google recruitment spam
@ 2013-08-16  8:34 Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2013-08-16  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development

Hi Ceph,

It looks like Google has a github bot harvesting mails from repositories and fishing for job applicants. I guess every committer got the exact same message addressed to the mail(s) that show in the commits. There is nothing to be done about it but it is worth mentioning, in public, that it is bad practice to try to disguise a mail as if it was written by someone who cares. I'm a somewhat ashamed to say that I was flattered to receive the mail, because I have a high opinion of Google technical skills and recruitment process. When I realized a bot was the source, I felt stupid. I'm not sure that's a profitable recruiting technique.

Cheers

--------------
Hi XXX,

How are you today? :-)

I'm Darren and I am part of the Google Engineering Recruitment team. I came across your profile previously through your commitment to Ceph and your personal site. Some of your other projects and experience are really interesting!

Your experience of development with open source file systems looks excellent and you clearly have a passion for your open-source work which is awesome!

Can I ask what languages do you code with usually?

I have a couple of roles in particular that I am hiring for and I was hoping you might be interested in speaking about some of these, would you be?

Let me know and I would be happy to schedule a friendly call at a time that is convenient for you.

Many Thanks,

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good people do nothing.

* Re: Google recruitment spam
@ 2013-08-16 16:14 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-08-16 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi Ceph,
>
> It looks like Google has a github bot harvesting mails from repositories and fishing for job applicants. I guess every committer got the exact same message addressed to the mail(s) that show in the commits. There is nothing to be done about it but it is worth mentioning, in public, that it is bad practice to try to disguise a mail as if it was written by someone who cares. I'm a somewhat ashamed to say that I was flattered to receive the mail, because I have a high opinion of Google technical skills and recruitment process. When I realized a bot was the source, I felt stupid. I'm not sure that's a profitable recruiting technique.

I think this is the first time I've seen (obviously) automated recruitment
spam.  I somewhat amusingly got this message on Monday, following a few
minutes later by an apology and second version with the blanks filled in.
Maybe they *should* stick to the robots.

sage

---->8----

Subject: Engineering Opportunities with Google

Hi Sage,

Hello ____,

I sent you an email about a month ago and I wanted to follow up with you
to see if you would be interested in learning more about engineering
opportunities at Google. I am very impressed with your profile especially,
your background in the ____________ and your _________________ :-)

I'd like to tell you more about the Google.com Engineering team, as well
as answer any questions you may have about the teams here at Google.

If now is not the right time for you, I completely understand. Please let
me know and I will make sure to update our records.

I look forward to hearing from you!

@ 2013-08-16 16:27   ` Mike Dawson
From: Mike Dawson @ 2013-08-16 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

I got one on April 24 (so they obviously need to improve their bot to
find people like Sage and Loic quicker).

Hi Mike,

I wanted to reach out and introduce myself, as we haven’t had the chance
to interact. (I have also sent you a message on LinkedIn) I am a
Technical Recruiter for Google.com Engineering and was wondering if you
would be open to confidentially exploring engineering opportunities with
Google. I am very curious about your current role as Co-Founder at
Cloudapt, LLC.

I would like to schedule a quick exploratory chat to talk about the
teams at Google if this seems like something that you might be
interested.  If this isn't the right time, perhaps we can follow up at a
later date.

Thank you for your time,

xxx

And the followup came on May 17th:

Hi Mike,

I sent you an email about a month ago and I wanted to follow up with you
to see if you would be interested in learning more about engineering
opportunities at Google.  I am very impressed with your profile
especially, your background in the Linux systems administration world
and your involvement with OpenStack. :-)