* Re: [SPAM]  Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
       [not found] ` <9522AFA707AD744DA5CF5DF53E30277430EEDB1B86-m2CP4sPuupzvI/EAa86jFoT4S9po1h25@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-08-21 20:06   ` Marc Kleine-Budde
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2013-08-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Sink
  Cc: socketcan-users-0fE9KPoRgkgATYTw5x5z8w, linux-can-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello Brent,

regards,
Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |

* Re: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-21 20:19     ` Marc Kleine-Budde
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2013-08-21 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Sink; +Cc: linux-can, Kurt Van Dijck

On 08/21/2013 08:43 PM, Brent Sink wrote:
> How do I read J1939 messages that use the BAM format?  Some of the
> diagnostic messages that are on the DM01 message have a DLC that is
> often larger than 8 bytes when the message contains more than one
> error.  Is there something special that I need to do to enable reading
> these messages?  Thanks!

With mainline linux you just receive raw CAN frames. I'm not a j1939
expert, as far as I can see, BAM is a transport protocol for CAN.

There are two options:
1) You have to implement the BAM protocol yourself either,
   a) inside the kernel or
   b) inside userspace.
2) Talk to Kurt (Cc'ed) if his j1939 patches support BAM.

Marc
--

@ 2013-08-22  7:56       ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-22  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Kleine-Budde; +Cc: Brent Sink, linux-can

Hi,

I have a git repository on git://gitorious.org/~kurt-vd/linux-can/linux-can-j1939.git

I added a complete j1939 stack, including 'BAM'.

You will need the associated can-utils with j1939 support
to activate the j1939 processing for a specific CAN device:
$ ip link set can0 j1939 on

If you only need to receive j1939 packets, then that's all you need to do.

The associated can-utils provide some example programs. You will
need to take a look as the API for j1939 sockets is different than
for raw CAN.

Kind regards,
Kurt

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:19:22PM +0200, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> On 08/21/2013 08:43 PM, Brent Sink wrote:
> > How do I read J1939 messages that use the BAM format?  Some of the
> > diagnostic messages that are on the DM01 message have a DLC that is
> > often larger than 8 bytes when the message contains more than one
> > error.  Is there something special that I need to do to enable reading
> > these messages?  Thanks!
>
> With mainline linux you just receive raw CAN frames. I'm not a j1939
> expert, as far as I can see, BAM is a transport protocol for CAN.
>
> There are two options:
> 1) You have to implement the BAM protocol yourself either,
>    a) inside the kernel or
>    b) inside userspace.
> 2) Talk to Kurt (Cc'ed) if his j1939 patches support BAM.
>
> Marc
> --
> Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
> Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |
> Vertretung West/Dortmund          | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |
> Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686  | http://www.pengutronix.de   |

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS
http://www.eia.be
kurt.van.dijck@eia.be
+32-38708534

* RE: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-22 14:22         ` Brent Sink
From: Brent Sink @ 2013-08-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt Van Dijck, Marc Kleine-Budde; +Cc: linux-can

Thanks Kurt.  Do I really need to clone the entire repository, or can you point me to the files I need to rebuild the can-utils?  Is there a patch that I could apply to my current kernel build?  Thanks,

-brent

I have a git repository on git://gitorious.org/~kurt-vd/linux-can/linux-can-j1939.git

I added a complete j1939 stack, including 'BAM'.

You will need the associated can-utils with j1939 support to activate the j1939 processing for a specific CAN device:
$ ip link set can0 j1939 on

If you only need to receive j1939 packets, then that's all you need to do.

The associated can-utils provide some example programs. You will need to take a look as the API for j1939 sockets is different than for raw CAN.

Kind regards,
Kurt

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:19:22PM +0200, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> On 08/21/2013 08:43 PM, Brent Sink wrote:
> > How do I read J1939 messages that use the BAM format?  Some of the
> > diagnostic messages that are on the DM01 message have a DLC that is
> > often larger than 8 bytes when the message contains more than one
> > error.  Is there something special that I need to do to enable
> > reading these messages?  Thanks!
>
> With mainline linux you just receive raw CAN frames. I'm not a j1939
> expert, as far as I can see, BAM is a transport protocol for CAN.
>
> There are two options:
> 1) You have to implement the BAM protocol yourself either,
>    a) inside the kernel or
>    b) inside userspace.
> 2) Talk to Kurt (Cc'ed) if his j1939 patches support BAM.
>
> Marc
> --
> Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
> Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |
> Vertretung West/Dortmund          | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |
> Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686  | http://www.pengutronix.de   |

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS
http://www.eia.be
kurt.van.dijck@eia.be
+32-38708534

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Internet communications are not assured to be secure or clear of inaccuracies as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this email, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission.

* Re: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-22 14:38           ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Sink; +Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can

Brent,

in your linux git repository, do:
$ git remote add j1939 git://gitorious.org/~kurt-vd/linux-can/linux-can-j1939.git
$ git remote update j1939
$ git merge j1939/v3.6 (or any branch that suits best your kernel).

This won't take as long as cloning the entire repository, if you
are already working in a git repo.

Kurt

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* RE: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-22 16:24             ` Brent Sink
From: Brent Sink @ 2013-08-22 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt Van Dijck
  Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com)

Ok, so merged this into my 3.8 branch and built the kernel.  Calling "ip link set can0 j1939 on" results in the error seen below.  I'm guessing I need to build the can-utils (git://gitorious.org/~kurt-vd/linux-can/can-j1939-utils.git)... right?  Anything else that I may need to do?

# ip link set can0 j1939 on
Error: either "dev" is duplicate, or "j1939" is a garbage.

-brent

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* Re: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-22 17:56               ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-22 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Sink; +Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com)

Brent,

> # ip link set can0 j1939 on
> Error: either "dev" is duplicate, or "j1939" is a garbage.

You will want the j1939 branch of can-utils, and absolutely
_need_ the j1939 branch of iproute2.
The message you got is generated by iproute2 ...

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I must apologize for my limited availability nowadays.
I'm pretty occupied with other things.

Kurt

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* RE: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-26 20:00                 ` Brent Sink
From: Brent Sink @ 2013-08-26 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt Van Dijck
  Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com)

Kurt,

Ok, so I have managed to get your version of ip and candump working and have the kernel built with the j1939 options.  Calling "ip link set can0 j1939 on" works just fine, but I'm seeing an issue when trying to read the DM1 message using candump.  I seem to be getting a timeout error: j1939tp_rxtask: timeout on 2.

Any thoughts?

-brent

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* RE: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-27  0:30                 ` Brent Sink
From: Brent Sink @ 2013-08-27  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt Van Dijck
  Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com)

Also, where are is the example code located for using the new version of SocketCan?

-brent

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* Re: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-27  6:54                   ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-27  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Sink; +Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com)

Hi Brent,

j1939tp_rxtask: timeout on 2

It looks like you got everything up and running then!

The message indicates a protocol fault of the sender.
The remote is sending too slow.
You can debug such things with candump, and inspect timestamps.
But there is nothing you can do on the receiving side to fix protocol faults.

Kind regards,
Kurt

@ 2013-08-27  7:02                   ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-27  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Sink; +Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com)

Brent,

in my gitorious pages, the can-j1939-utils repository contains a patched version
of can-utils.
As a pure listener (i.e. no transmits), you'll find jspy.c interesting.

Note that recvmsg() may be replaced by the easier recvfrom() if you're not interested
in stuff like j1939 priority, original destination address, etc.
Most of jspy.c main receive loop deals with handling recvmsg() ...

To learn the setup of the kernel j1939 stack, consult Documentation/networking/j1939.txt
I didn't manage to write proper howto's yet.

Kind regards,
Kurt

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* RE: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-27 18:17                     ` Brent Sink
From: Brent Sink @ 2013-08-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt Van Dijck
  Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com)

Kurt,

Ok, maybe I'm missing something.  I received that error when I was trying to manually send a message in PEAK Explorer with a DLC of 9.  When I connect my device to an actual CAN bus that is transmitting a DM1 message with a DLC of 34, I do not see the message using candump.  However, I don't see the timeout error anymore, so that's a plus.  Is there something specific I need to do in order to receive messages that use BAM?

-brent

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* Re: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-27 21:00                       ` Kurt Van Dijck
       [not found]                         ` <1377640991.4869.13.camel@ergasia.protologos.net>
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-27 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Sink; +Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com)

Hi Brent,

> I received that error when I was trying to manually send a message in PEAK Explorer with a DLC of 9.
I see. You should respect a inter-frame delay of 50msec (up to 250msec or so),
which is practically impossible to perform manually.

> When I connect my device to an actual CAN bus that is transmitting a DM1 message with a DLC of 34, I do not see the message using candump.
> However, I don't see the timeout error anymore, so that's a plus.

The actual DM1 message respects the timings. That's good.

> Is there something specific I need to do in order to receive messages that use BAM?
Try the jspy program in can-j1939-utils.
candump does/should show the 6 raw can frames, jspy should show the 1 j1939 packet.

Kind regards,
Kurt

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

@ 2013-08-28  9:29                           ` Kurt Van Dijck
       [not found]                             ` <1377694586.1254.25.camel@ergasia.protologos.net>
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-28  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Boyd; +Cc: Brent Sink

Hi John,

Technically, "try jspy" means that recvmsg() will work also.

Please consider man 2 recvmsg & man 2 recvfrom.
I mentioned earlier that using recvfrom() could yield simpler code than
using recvmsg. I forgot to mention explicitely that both do almost the same job.
You'll find the differences when reading the man pages.

I advised now to try jspy, since candump will never access j1939 sockets.
So, as an example of accessing the j1939 socket, jspy suits very well.

Reading back my previous post, I realized I didn't really answer this:
> > > Is there something specific I need to do in order to receive messages that use BAM?

The answer is: turn on j1939, that's all. (ip link set can0 j1939 on).
From that point, BAM messages will be received.
jspy (or any other j1939 socket program, not candump) can then be used to
get those messages into userspace.

Kind regards,
Kurt

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* AW: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-29 15:02                         ` Michael Luxen
From: Michael Luxen @ 2013-08-29 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Sink, Kurt Van Dijck
  Cc: John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com), linux-can, Marc Kleine-Budde

Hello Kurt,

depending on your hints how to get J1939 protocol support to my kernel (v3.8 on BeagleBone Black) I was able to receive and see/log the J1939 messages today.

For DM1 it looks like:
root@arm:/home/debian# jspy can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01

Some questions for J1939 suppor ton Linux is open for me:
1. Which userspace programs are already available? Do you know some OpenSource projects with or without GUI beside jspy?
2. I was figuring with "jspy can0:DM1,0feca" which doesn't work as it must be the CAN-ID like above. Are there plans to implement something like a lookup table which shows the J1939 PGN-Name directly depending on the PGN (i.e. DM1 instead of FECA) in "jspy" which are specified in the J1939 standard?
3. What is the normal way to setup the bitrate and the j1939 interface in one step?
"ip link set can0 type can bitrate 500000" works to set up standard CAN interface but "ip link set can0 type j1939 on bitrate 250000" doesn't work (Garbage instead of arguments "bitrate ...". Try "ip link help".)
I've set up the bitrate first with "ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000" and then "ip link set can0 j1939 on"

Regards
Mike

@ 2013-08-29 19:36                               ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-29 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Boyd; +Cc: Brent Sink, linux-can

Hi,

If you prefer read() over recvfrom(), that will work also.
I tend to prefer recv()/recvfrom().

Please note that j1939 is a message oriented system.
Messages, or PGN's, are sent as messages.
I feel very comfortable with a message oriented API.
It treats metadata like addressing information very well.

If one prefers to implement the n+1th J1939 BAM assembly in userspace,
then that's possible. I've done so also. But most, if not all, such
implementations include some problems.
I'll point to the interframe delay that Brent encountered as a typical
problem.
But not all applications out there really need full j1939 correctness...

If I summarize your story correctly, then your choosing between
CAN_RAW sockets, with fixed-length CAN frames, on one hand and
CAN_J1939 sockets with variable length J1939 messages on the other
hand.
What exactly do you try to compare then?
Can you clarify your findings and solutions.

I've not studied a STREAMS api for J1939 yet, have you?

Kind regards,
Kurt

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* Re: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-29 19:56                           ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-29 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Luxen
  Cc: Brent Sink, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com),
	linux-can, Marc Kleine-Budde

Hello Mike,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 05:02:58PM +0200, Michael Luxen wrote:
> Hello Kurt,
>
> depending on your hints how to get J1939 protocol support to my kernel (v3.8 on BeagleBone Black) I was able to receive and see/log the J1939 messages today.
>
> For DM1 it looks like:
> root@arm:/home/debian# jspy can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01

Great!
I expected such thing, but it's good that others can do this also.

> Some questions for J1939 suppor ton Linux is open for me:
> 1. Which userspace programs are already available? Do you know some OpenSource projects with or without GUI beside jspy?
Well, my j1939 stack isn't mainline. I don't expect a huge userbase then.
I have a few programs: jspy, jdate, ... in the can-j1939-utils.

> 2. I was figuring with "jspy can0:DM1,0feca" which doesn't work as it must be the CAN-ID like above. Are there plans to implement something like a lookup table which shows the J1939 PGN-Name directly depending on the PGN (i.e. DM1 instead of FECA) in "jspy" which are specified in the J1939 standard?
I believe you meant: $ jspy can0:00000000e8a9344c,DM1
The middle member is the nodename. You could wildcard that...
The last is the PGN (~= CAN-id).

I like the idea. I've never even tought about this.
It belongs in a userspace library.

> 3. What is the normal way to setup the bitrate and the j1939 interface in one step?
> "ip link set can0 type can bitrate 500000" works to set up standard CAN interface but "ip link set can0 type j1939 on bitrate 250000" doesn't work (Garbage instead of arguments "bitrate ...". Try "ip link help".)
> I've set up the bitrate first with "ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000" and then "ip link set can0 j1939 on"

I did my best not to duplicate functionality.
$ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
would work.

Kind regards,
Kurt

@ 2013-08-30  9:28                             ` Michael Luxen
From: Michael Luxen @ 2013-08-30  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt Van Dijck
  Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, John Boyd (jaboydjr77@gmail.com),
	Brent Sink

Hello Kurt,

> > 2. I was figuring with "jspy can0:DM1,0feca" which doesn't work as it must be
> the CAN-ID like above. Are there plans to implement something like a lookup
> table which shows the J1939 PGN-Name directly depending on the PGN (i.e. DM1
> instead of FECA) in "jspy" which are specified in the J1939 standard?
> I believe you meant: $ jspy can0:00000000e8a9344c,DM1
> The middle member is the nodename. You could wildcard that...
> The last is the PGN (~= CAN-id).
Good hint!

> I like the idea. I've never even tought about this.
> It belongs in a userspace library.
Please let me know if you have it ready, so I can update to your latest version. ;-)

> > 3. What is the normal way to setup the bitrate and the j1939 interface in one
> step?
> > "ip link set can0 type can bitrate 500000" works to set up standard CAN
> interface but "ip link set can0 type j1939 on bitrate 250000" doesn't work
> (Garbage instead of arguments "bitrate ...". Try "ip link help".)
> > I've set up the bitrate first with "ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000"
> and then "ip link set can0 j1939 on"
>
> I did my best not to duplicate functionality.
> $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> would work.
In general yes, but if I do:
$ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
$ ip link set can0 up
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

I can't set up the can0 interface with J1939 support

And if I try to do it afterwards like:
$ ip link set can0 down
$ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
$ ip link set can0 j1939 on
RTNETLINK answers: Address family not supported by protocol

After power reset;
$ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
$ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
$ ip link set can0 up
$ jspy can0
jspy: bind(can0): Host is down

Setting up of the can0 doesn't work correctly IMHO, the only way which is working for me is after a power reset:
$ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
$ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
$ ip link set can0 j1939 on up
$ jspy can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !6 [8] 00ff0000 0000ffff
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !6 [8] 00ff0000 0000ffff
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
 can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01

Is there anything I do in the wrong way?

Regards
Mike

@ 2013-08-30 17:57                               ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-30 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Luxen; +Cc: Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:28:26AM +0200, Michael Luxen wrote:
> Hello Kurt,
>
> > > 2. I was figuring with "jspy can0:DM1,0feca" which doesn't work as it must be
> > the CAN-ID like above. Are there plans to implement something like a lookup
> > table which shows the J1939 PGN-Name directly depending on the PGN (i.e. DM1
> > instead of FECA) in "jspy" which are specified in the J1939 standard?
> > I believe you meant: $ jspy can0:00000000e8a9344c,DM1
> > The middle member is the nodename. You could wildcard that...
> > The last is the PGN (~= CAN-id).
> Good hint!
>
> > I like the idea. I've never even tought about this.
> > It belongs in a userspace library.
> Please let me know if you have it ready, so I can update to your latest version. ;-)

Yep. It may take a bit.

> > > 3. What is the normal way to setup the bitrate and the j1939 interface in one
> > step?
> > > "ip link set can0 type can bitrate 500000" works to set up standard CAN
> > interface but "ip link set can0 type j1939 on bitrate 250000" doesn't work
> > (Garbage instead of arguments "bitrate ...". Try "ip link help".)
> > > I've set up the bitrate first with "ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000"
> > and then "ip link set can0 j1939 on"
> >
> > I did my best not to duplicate functionality.
> > $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> > would work.
> In general yes, but if I do:
> $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> $ ip link set can0 up
> RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
>
> I can't set up the can0 interface with J1939 support
>
> And if I try to do it afterwards like:
> $ ip link set can0 down
> $ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
> $ ip link set can0 j1939 on
> RTNETLINK answers: Address family not supported by protocol
>
> After power reset;
> $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> $ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
> $ ip link set can0 up
> $ jspy can0
> jspy: bind(can0): Host is down
>

> Setting up of the can0 doesn't work correctly IMHO, the only way which is working for me is after a power reset:
> $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> $ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
> $ ip link set can0 j1939 on up
> $ jspy can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !6 [8] 00ff0000 0000ffff
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !6 [8] 00ff0000 0000ffff
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
>  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
>
> Is there anything I do in the wrong way?

Nop. I get the same here. It have worked for a long time, but not today.
You probably don't do something wrong, but have something changed somewhere
that my j1939 stack depends on.

I have a 3.8.2.

I'll take a look one of these days.

Kurt

--
Kurt Van Dijck
GRAMMER EiA ELECTRONICS

* Re: Reading messages that use BAM, or have a DLC larger than 8
@ 2013-08-30 18:06                                 ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2013-08-30 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Luxen, Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can

Hello Michael,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 07:57:58PM +0200, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:

> > > step?
> > > interface but "ip link set can0 type j1939 on bitrate 250000" doesn't work
> > > (Garbage instead of arguments "bitrate ...". Try "ip link help".)
> > > and then "ip link set can0 j1939 on"
> > >
> > > I did my best not to duplicate functionality.
> > > $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> > > would work.
> > In general yes, but if I do:
> > $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> > $ ip link set can0 up
> > RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
> >
> > I can't set up the can0 interface with J1939 support
> >
> > And if I try to do it afterwards like:
> > $ ip link set can0 down
> > $ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
> > $ ip link set can0 j1939 on
> > RTNETLINK answers: Address family not supported by protocol
> >
> > After power reset;
> > $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> > $ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
> > $ ip link set can0 up
> > $ jspy can0
> > jspy: bind(can0): Host is down
> >

> > Setting up of the can0 doesn't work correctly IMHO, the only way which is working for me is after a power reset:
> > $ ip link set can0 j1939 on type can bitrate 250000
> > $ ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
> > $ ip link set can0 j1939 on up
> > $ jspy can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca
> >  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !6 [8] 00ff0000 0000ffff
> >  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !6 [8] 00ff0000 0000ffff
> >  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
> >  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
> >  can0:00000000e8a9344c,0feca - !7 [10] 40ff6e00 0b015f04 0b01
> >
> > Is there anything I do in the wrong way?
>
> Nop. I get the same here. It have worked for a long time, but not today.
> You probably don't do something wrong, but have something changed somewhere
> that my j1939 stack depends on.

Found our problem. I was too fast.
I don't know how to make it autoprobe.
So, make sure can-j1939 is loaded (compiled in kernel, or module loaded).
Then it'll work.

calling jspy or any other j1939 socket program, will trigger loading can-j1939.

I tried now with vcan0:
$ ip link set vcan0 j1939 on up
and that worked.

Kind regards,