* Usage of xenomai-images
@ 2020-06-15 15:34 Per Oberg
From: Per Oberg @ 2020-06-15 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi list

I thought I'd take the xenomai-images from [1] out for a spin and I think I got it working. However, A few pointers about what is what would have been helpful.

E.g.

Under "Building Target Images" there could have been a note saying that you need the kas.yml files and board-qemu-amd64.yml available. I feel those instructions are a bit incomplete.
At docker-hub there are no comments/descriptions for the kas-isar and kas images so it's a bit difficult to know what to use.

Now it seems to be working when using the provided "kas-docker" script, but then I tried using a bind-mount and bash to get inside the docker and run it from there. 'docker run -it --mount type=bind,source="$HOME"/kas-builder,target=/builder kasproject/kas bash'.

For the "kas" docker image I get errors related to missing isar, and for the kas-isar docker image i get "mount: /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc: permission denied." so i tried adding the --privileged flag which seems to be working. Perhaps there could be a better "Start Here" guide giving some hints about this.

Also, are there any binary links to -wic files that I can download and run using my own qemu so that I don't have to build them myself?

[1] https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images

Per Öberg

* Re: Usage of xenomai-images
@ 2020-06-15 15:57 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-06-15 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Oberg, xenomai

On 15.06.20 17:34, Per Oberg via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I thought I'd take the xenomai-images from [1] out for a spin and I think I got it working. However, A few pointers about what is what would have been helpful.
>
> E.g.
>
> Under "Building Target Images" there could have been a note saying that you need the kas.yml files and board-qemu-amd64.yml available. I feel those instructions are a bit incomplete.

We are happy to take patches! It's always a bit tricky for the those
using the tool every day in various projects to document the
(non-)obvious parts for first-time users.

> At docker-hub there are no comments/descriptions for the kas-isar and kas images so it's a bit difficult to know what to use.
>
> Now it seems to be working when using the provided "kas-docker" script, but then I tried using a bind-mount and bash to get inside the docker and run it from there. 'docker run -it --mount type=bind,source="$HOME"/kas-builder,target=/builder kasproject/kas bash'.

Such "simple" docker calls are where kas-docker evolved from. If you
look at the latest version, it can do way more. It's goal is to provide
the same frontend as kas natively.

> For the "kas" docker image I get errors related to missing isar, and for the kas-isar docker image i get "mount: /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc: permission denied." so i tried adding the --privileged flag which seems to be working. Perhaps there could be a better "Start Here" guide giving some hints about this.

"kas-docker --isar build ..." is doing that for you. "docker/podman run"
is for the experts. That's why we documented the former.

> Also, are there any binary links to -wic files that I can download and run using my own qemu so that I don't have to build them myself?

So far, there is no public build and, thus, artifacts. We will probably
have them as catch-by of using xenomai-image for regular testing "soon".

Jan

> [1] https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images
>
> Per Öberg

* RE: Usage of xenomai-images
@ 2020-06-16  0:32   ` Meng, Fino
>On 15.06.20 17:34, Per Oberg via Xenomai wrote:
>> Hi list
>>
>> I thought I'd take the xenomai-images from [1] out for a spin and I think I got it working. However, A few pointers about
>what is what would have been helpful.
>>
>> E.g.
>>
>> Under "Building Target Images" there could have been a note saying that you need the kas.yml files and board-qemu-
>amd64.yml available. I feel those instructions are a bit incomplete.
>
>We are happy to take patches! It's always a bit tricky for the those using the tool every day in various projects to document
>the (non-)obvious parts for first-time users.
>
>> At docker-hub there are no comments/descriptions for the kas-isar and kas images so it's a bit difficult to know what to
>use.
>>
>> Now it seems to be working when using the provided "kas-docker" script, but then I tried using a bind-mount and bash to
>get inside the docker and run it from there. 'docker run -it --mount type=bind,source="$HOME"/kas-builder,target=/builder
>kasproject/kas bash'.
>
>Such "simple" docker calls are where kas-docker evolved from. If you look at the latest version, it can do way more. It's goal
>is to provide the same frontend as kas natively.
>

>> For the "kas" docker image I get errors related to missing isar, and for the kas-isar docker image i get "mount:
>/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc: permission denied." so i tried adding the --privileged flag which seems to be working. Perhaps
>there could be a better "Start Here" guide giving some hints about this.
>>

>"kas-docker --isar build ..." is doing that for you. "docker/podman run"
>is for the experts. That's why we documented the former.
>
>> Also, are there any binary links to -wic files that I can download and run using my own qemu so that I don't have to build
>them myself?
>
>So far, there is no public build and, thus, artifacts. We will probably have them as catch-by of using xenomai-image for
>regular testing "soon".

Update my status:
Our project use xenomai-images as upstream project, clone it and add some yml for kernel & wic flavors.
On our WHL-U board,  we still need to change a defconfig for the cip-kernel in xenomai-images,
https://github.com/intel/linux-stable-xenomai/blob/F/4.19.59/base/ipipe/xenomai_3.1/arch/x86/configs/acrn_defconfig
otherwise it will fail to mount rootfs, as I sent before.
After finishing IgH Ethercat master lib, I will try to root cause it.

BR / Fino (孟祥夫)
Intel – IOTG Developer Enabling

>Jan
>

>> [1] https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images
>>
>> Per Öberg
>>

>--
>Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA IOT SES-DE
>Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux

* Re: Usage of xenomai-images
@ 2020-06-16  6:10   ` Per Oberg
From: Per Oberg @ 2020-06-16  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

----- Den 15 jun 2020, på kl 17:57, Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka@siemens.com skrev:

> On 15.06.20 17:34, Per Oberg via Xenomai wrote:
> > Hi list

>> I thought I'd take the xenomai-images from [1] out for a spin and I think I got
> > it working. However, A few pointers about what is what would have been helpful.

> > E.g.

>> Under "Building Target Images" there could have been a note saying that you need
>> the kas.yml files and board-qemu-amd64.yml available. I feel those instructions
> > are a bit incomplete.

> We are happy to take patches! It's always a bit tricky for the those
> using the tool every day in various projects to document the
> (non-)obvious parts for first-time users.

Thanks, I'll do that. I just need to get back up on Github again.

>> At docker-hub there are no comments/descriptions for the kas-isar and kas images
> > so it's a bit difficult to know what to use.

>> Now it seems to be working when using the provided "kas-docker" script, but then
>> I tried using a bind-mount and bash to get inside the docker and run it from
>> there. 'docker run -it --mount
> > type=bind,source="$HOME"/kas-builder,target=/builder kasproject/kas bash'.

> Such "simple" docker calls are where kas-docker evolved from. If you
> look at the latest version, it can do way more. It's goal is to provide
> the same frontend as kas natively.

>> For the "kas" docker image I get errors related to missing isar, and for the
>> kas-isar docker image i get "mount: /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc: permission
>> denied." so i tried adding the --privileged flag which seems to be working.
>> Perhaps there could be a better "Start Here" guide giving some hints about
> > this.

> "kas-docker --isar build ..." is doing that for you. "docker/podman run"
> is for the experts. That's why we documented the former.

>> Also, are there any binary links to -wic files that I can download and run using
> > my own qemu so that I don't have to build them myself?

> So far, there is no public build and, thus, artifacts. We will probably
> have them as catch-by of using xenomai-image for regular testing "soon".

> Jan

Great! I think that would be very helpful for attracting people to xenomai.