* only allow packets match interface ip
@ 2013-08-22  9:32 d tbsky
From: d tbsky @ 2013-08-22  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

hi:
   I have multiple wan port and multiple routing table in a box.
   the wan port should be the final destination of outside word.
(eg: all the packets come from internet should have destination ip
address of my wan port, there are no further routing beyond the wan ip
address).

   rp_filter seems not work correctly under multiple routing table
situation.so I need to set rp_filter to 0.

   I want to know if there are simple setup method to secure the wan
port ?  or I need to use iptables to drop the incoming packet not
matching  the wan interface ip?

  the problem is I have dynamic ppp interface, so matching the ip via
iptables is a little complicated. so I want to know if there are
smarter ways to do the job.

  thanks a lot for suggestion!!

Regards,
tbskyd

* Re: only allow packets match interface ip
@ 2013-08-24 10:02 ` Pascal Hambourg
From: Pascal Hambourg @ 2013-08-24 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d tbsky; +Cc: netfilter

Hello,

d tbsky a écrit :
>    I have multiple wan port and multiple routing table in a box.
>    the wan port should be the final destination of outside word.
> (eg: all the packets come from internet should have destination ip
> address of my wan port, there are no further routing beyond the wan ip
> address).
>
>    rp_filter seems not work correctly under multiple routing table
> situation.so I need to set rp_filter to 0.

Indeed, this is a known problem. However, if all the WAN interfaces are
connected to the internet I see no point in using rp_filter on them.

>    I want to know if there are simple setup method to secure the wan
> port ?

What do you mean exactly by "secure the wan port" ?

>  or I need to use iptables to drop the incoming packet not
> matching  the wan interface ip?

You are talking about two different things. rp_filter checks the source
address in incoming packets, not the destination address. Besides,
receiving on an interface packets which are destined to the address of
another interface is rather unlikely.

>   the problem is I have dynamic ppp interface, so matching the ip via
> iptables is a little complicated.

You can use scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-{up|down}.d to add|remove iptables
rules based on the local address and interface name passed by pppd when
a PPP link is established|terminated.
Simple example :

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/addrules

# Environment variables :
#    Variable     Name                          Example
#    PPP_IFACE    Interface name                ppp0
#    PPP_TTY      The tty                       ttyS1
#    PPP_SPEED    The link speed                38400
#    PPP_LOCAL    Local IP number               12.34.56.78
#    PPP_REMOTE   Peer  IP number               12.34.56.99
#    PPP_IPPARAM  Optional "ipparam" value      foo

iptables -I INPUT -i $PPP_IFACE ! -d $PPP_LOCAL -j DROP

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/delrules

# Environment variables :
#    Variable     Name                          Example
#    PPP_IFACE    Interface name                ppp0
#    PPP_TTY      The tty                       ttyS1
#    PPP_SPEED    The link speed                38400
#    PPP_LOCAL    Local IP number               12.34.56.78
#    PPP_REMOTE   Peer  IP number               12.34.56.99
#    PPP_IPPARAM  Optional "ipparam" value      foo

iptables -D INPUT -i $PPP_IFACE ! -d $PPP_LOCAL -j DROP