* btrfs.h and btrfs-progs licensing
@ 2013-09-09 21:13 Andy Grover
From: Andy Grover @ 2013-09-09 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs; +Cc: Chris Mason

Hi everybody,

I'd like it to be possible to have a library that configures btrfs
directly instead of using the cmdline tools. (I think Mark Fasheh and
David Sterba have already done some work here.)

However, as it stands, the kernel's include/uapi/linux/btrfs.h and
btrfs-progs are GPLv2, which means that a "libbtrfs" that is based on
either of these might also be construed to need to be GPLv2, and any
program *using* libbtrfs might also be construed to need to be GPLv2.

I don't think this was the intent.

I think we'd be better off if we relicense btrfs-progs to LGPLv2, and
dual-license the kernel btrfs.h header to GPLv2/LGPLv2 (this may not be
strictly necessary, RMS says it isn't[1], but we probably want to be
completely clear).

This will involve getting the OK from everyone who has contributed to
btrfs-progs. Yay git. If someone more closely involved with btrfs dev
wanted to spearhead this I'd love it, but am willing to do it too (I
*really* want a libbtrfs. :-)

Any thoughts? Objections?

Regards -- Andy

[1] http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0301.1/0362.html

* Re: btrfs.h and btrfs-progs licensing
@ 2013-09-09 22:50 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2013-09-09 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Grover; +Cc: linux-btrfs, Chris Mason

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 02:13:50PM -0700, Andy Grover wrote:
> However, as it stands, the kernel's include/uapi/linux/btrfs.h and
> btrfs-progs are GPLv2, which means that a "libbtrfs" that is based on either
> of these might also be construed to need to be GPLv2, and any program
> *using* libbtrfs might also be construed to need to be GPLv2.

Looking at "nm libbtrfs.a" there are rbtree and crc32c symbols included
in the library, licensed under GPLv2, the rest is pure userspace code and
the people are around to ask about relicensing.

david

* Re: btrfs.h and btrfs-progs licensing
@ 2013-09-10 15:31   ` ronnie sahlberg
From: ronnie sahlberg @ 2013-09-10 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Andy Grover, linux-btrfs, Chris Mason

For crc32c you can use this one which is lgpl:
https://github.com/sahlberg/libiscsi/blob/master/lib/crc32c.c

You can use the generator at :
http://www.ross.net/crc/download/crc_v3.txt
to generate this (and others)