* Which filesystem for a hybris raid1?
@ 2013-09-28 14:18 Hans Kraus
From: Hans Kraus @ 2013-09-28 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,

I will move the root of my server to a hybrid raid1. Which filesystem
should I choose: F2FS or Ext4? The /boot stays on a separate partition.

Regards, Hans

* Re: Which filesystem for a hybris raid1?
@ 2013-09-28 15:28 ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2013-09-28 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Kraus; +Cc: Linux-RAID

what hybrid means?

2013/9/28 Hans Kraus <hans@hanswkraus.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I will move the root of my server to a hybrid raid1. Which filesystem
> should I choose: F2FS or Ext4? The /boot stays on a separate partition.
>
> Regards, Hans

Roberto Spadim

* Re: Which filesystem for a hybris raid1?
@ 2013-09-28 17:04   ` Hans Kraus
From: Hans Kraus @ 2013-09-28 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Linux-RAID

Am 28.09.2013 17:28, schrieb Roberto Spadim:
 > what hybrid means?
 > [...]

An SSD and a conventional HD as mdadm Raid 1, the conventional HD
added with '--write-behind --write-mostly' during the mdadm create.

Regards, Hans

(Sorry, forgot the list during my first reply)

* Re: Which filesystem for a hybris raid1?
@ 2013-09-28 17:18     ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2013-09-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Kraus; +Cc: Linux-RAID

hi Hans!
well, this was discussed some times here, and i tested something like it
well if you want more secure disk, use raid 1,5,6
if you want speed use cache (bcache, flashcache, dm cache)

the write behind will not give a lot of speed, i think that a raid1
with hdd + ssd as cache is better, but didn't tested yet, i have a
revodrive here, and it have two devices (sda/sdb) this could allow a
raid1-hdd raid1-ssd and give secure at cache side...

maybe others guves have more ideas here...

Sans told me to buy a raid hardware with cache and bbu, it's better
than a raid1 + sdd as cache, i didn't cehcked yet... but probably i
will do

@ 2013-09-29 19:41 ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2013-09-29 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Kraus; +Cc: linux-raid

On 28/09/13 16:18, Hans Kraus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will move the root of my server to a hybrid raid1. Which filesystem
> should I choose: F2FS or Ext4? The /boot stays on a separate partition.
>
> Regards, Hans

F2FS is very much in development, and I don't think it is ready for
"prime time" yet.  It is an interesting idea, but I would be sceptical
about using it as a root fs.  I am also not sure how effective it will
be as a filesystem on a hybrid with a hard disk as well as an SSD.

<http://lwn.net/Articles/518988/>