* GeForce 8400 GS
@ 2013-10-03 18:45 Fernando Negro
       [not found] ` <1380825934.841834684-MnY5EB7xCO9sdVUOrk1QfQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Fernando Negro @ 2013-10-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

 Hi everyone.

I read on a 2011 article - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_comp_2011&num=19 - that my particular card, GeForce 8400 GS, overheats with nouveau. (So, I never tried using if for long, before, as soon as possible, installing the proprietary drivers...) But, because it's a 2-year-old article, I was wondering if that problem could have been, in the meantime, solved?... (Can anyone tell me if that is so, or not - or indicate me a place where I can know that?)

Thank you, all, in advance.

* Re: GeForce 8400 GS
       [not found] ` <1380825934.841834684-MnY5EB7xCO9sdVUOrk1QfQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-10-03 21:57   ` Ilia Mirkin
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2013-10-03 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Negro; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Fernando Negro <fernando.negro-JGs/UdohzUI@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I read on a 2011 article -
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_comp_2011&num=19
> - that my particular card, GeForce 8400 GS, overheats with nouveau. (So, I
> never tried using if for long, before, as soon as possible, installing the
> proprietary drivers...) But, because it's a 2-year-old article, I was
> wondering if that problem could have been, in the meantime, solved?... (Can
> anyone tell me if that is so, or not - or indicate me a place where I can
> know that?)

There are actually several versions of the 8400 GS, the exact chipset
would be a better indicator (if you're trying to compare to Phoronix
results). It seems like the complaint in the article was that the
passively cooled GPU was running at 80 degC. While that's quite warm,
I'm pretty sure that's not nearly enough to be damaging. I had run my
9500GT (which started out with a fan that I later removed) at 90-95
degC with no apparent ill effect.

If you do have a fan, there is some semblance of control in the latest
kernels. Take a look at
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/thermal/nouveau_thermal
for more details. There is also experimental reclocking support for
the nv50 family chipsets (as well as nv40), which tends to be very
much hit or miss. Works great when it works, but hangs the card when
it doesn't. Take a look at
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModuleParameters/,
specifically perflvl_wr. Note that this only provides manual control,
not dynamic like the latest radeon and nvidia proprietary drivers.

Hope this helps,

  -ilia

* Re: GeForce 8400 GS
       [not found] ` <1380825934.841834684-MnY5EB7xCO9sdVUOrk1QfQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-10-03 22:04   ` Emil Velikov
From: Emil Velikov @ 2013-10-03 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Negro, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 03/10/13 19:45, Fernando Negro wrote:
>  Hi everyone.
>
> I read on a 2011 article - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_comp_2011&num=19 - that my particular card, GeForce 8400 GS, overheats with nouveau. (So, I never tried using if for long, before, as soon as possible, installing the proprietary drivers...) But, because it's a 2-year-old article, I was wondering if that problem could have been, in the meantime, solved?... (Can anyone tell me if that is so, or not - or indicate me a place where I can know that?)
>
> Thank you, all, in advance.

Hi Fernando,

The idea of overheating is quite subjective and heavily depends on how
sane the OEM was. But to put a long story short

1. Nouveau does not change the clock frequencies and voltage (among a
few others) which may cause higher than desired temperature for some users.
2. Thermal management has been available for a while now although it's
disabled by default. You would need to enable it manually see [1] [2]

I would personally give nouveau a try if I was in your case and check
the temperature via (lm_)sensors.

Hope that helps,
Emil

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg31902.html
[2]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6/tree/Documentation/thermal/nouveau_thermal

* Re: GeForce 8400 GS
       [not found] ` <1380825934.841834684-MnY5EB7xCO9sdVUOrk1QfQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-10-04 14:10   ` poma
From: poma @ 2013-10-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 03.10.2013 20:45, Fernando Negro wrote:
>  Hi everyone.
>
> I read on a 2011 article - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_comp_2011&num=19 - that my particular card, GeForce 8400 GS, overheats with nouveau. (So, I never tried using if for long, before, as soon as possible, installing the proprietary drivers...) But, because it's a 2-year-old article, I was wondering if that problem could have been, in the meantime, solved?... (Can anyone tell me if that is so, or not - or indicate me a place where I can know that?)

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/EN8400GS_SILENTHTP512M

$ modinfo -F filename nouveau
/lib/modules/3.11.2-201.fc19.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko

$ sensors nouveau-pci-0200
nouveau-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +61.0°C  (high = +95.0°C, hyst =  +3.0°C)
                       (crit = +122.0°C, hyst =  +2.0°C)
                       (emerg = +135.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)

# nvclock -i
Xlib:  extension "NV-CONTROL" missing on display ":0.0".
-- General info --
Card: 		nVidia Geforce 8400GS
Architecture: 	G98 A2
PCI id: 	0x6e4
GPU clock: 	612.000 MHz
Bustype: 	PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
Clock: 1512.000 MHz
Stream units: 16 (1b)
ROP units: 4 (1b)
-- Memory info --
Amount: 	512 MB
Type: 		128 bit DDR2
Clock: 		399.600 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate: 	16X
Maximum rate: 	16X

-- Sensor info --
Sensor: GPU Internal Sensor
GPU temperature: 61C

-- VideoBios information --
Version: 62.98.2c.00.00
Signon message: ASUS EN8400GS VGA BIOS Ver 62.98.2C.00.AS07
Performance level 0: gpu 567MHz/shader 1400MHz/memory 400MHz/100%

poma

* Re: GeForce 8400 GS
       [not found] ` <1380825934.841834684-MnY5EB7xCO9sdVUOrk1QfQ@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-10-06  1:13   ` Robert Hancock
From: Robert Hancock @ 2013-10-06  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Negro
  Cc: public-nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW-wOFGN7rlS/M9smdsby/KFg

On 10/03/2013 12:45 PM, Fernando Negro wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I read on a 2011 article -
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_comp_2011&num=19
> - that my particular card, GeForce 8400 GS, overheats with nouveau. (So,
> I never tried using if for long, before, as soon as possible, installing
> the proprietary drivers...) But, because it's a 2-year-old article, I
> was wondering if that problem could have been, in the meantime,
> solved?... (Can anyone tell me if that is so, or not - or indicate me a
> place where I can know that?)

That situation likely hasn't changed as far as I know. But I think that
article was overreacting. 80 degrees C on an NVIDIA GPU really should
not be dangerous. There are GPUs that can normally hit over 100 degrees
even with active cooling. Passively cooled GPUs like that will normally
run pretty warm.