* Patching kernel versions for which there is no version specific patch released?
@ 2018-01-05 19:22 Joshua Kordani
From: Joshua Kordani @ 2018-01-05 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Greetings,

I am trying to patch a kernel for which there doesn't seem to be a
specific patch set released.
For example, patch-4.9.61-rt52.patch.xz and patch-4.9.65-rt56.patch.xz
exist, but nothing in between.  Is it safe to assume that
patch-4.9.61-rt52.patch.xz is appropriate for all kernel versions from
4.9.61 to 4.9.64?  Or, since the rt version jumps from 52 to 56, there
are intermediate versions of the patchset for intermediate versions of
the kernel that are available only in the git repo?

Looking to make the right call about how to patch what I need instead of
just compiling and hoping.
Thanks for your help!

Joshua Kordani

* Re: Patching kernel versions for which there is no version specific patch released?
@ 2018-01-24 14:07 ` Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
From: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior @ 2018-01-24 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Kordani; +Cc: linux-rt-users

On 2018-01-16 10:34:25 [-0500], Joshua Kordani wrote:
> Greetings,
Hi,

> I am trying to patch a kernel for which there doesn't seem to be a specific
> patch set released.
> For example, patch-4.9.61-rt52.patch.xz and patch-4.9.65-rt56.patch.xz
> exist, but nothing in between.  Is it safe to assume that
> patch-4.9.61-rt52.patch.xz is appropriate for all kernel versions from
> 4.9.61 to 4.9.64?  Or, since the rt version jumps from 52 to 56, there are
> intermediate versions of the patchset for intermediate versions of the
> kernel that are available only in the git repo?
>
> Looking to make the right call about how to patch what I need instead of
> just compiling and hoping.

Those intermediate aren't uploaded but only tagged in git [0]. If you
really require an intermediate then I guess the best way would be to
create the diff from git.
In general you are encourage to use the latest stable release.

[0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git/

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Joshua Kordani

Sebastian

* Patching kernel versions for which there is no version specific patch released?
@ 2018-01-16 15:34 Joshua Kordani