* Clarification on rtnetlink requests
@ 2015-08-19 15:05 David Chappelle
From: David Chappelle @ 2015-08-19 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

I am a bit confused with respect to the structure of rtnetlink requests.
It seems that in some circumstances a request can look like:

    struct request
    {
        struct nlmsghdr header;
        struct rtgenmsg body;
    };

and in other cases it can look like:

    struct request
    {
        struct nlmsghdr header;
        struct ifinfomsg body;
    };

How do I know which one to use when sending RTM_GETLINK and
RTM_GETADDR requests? Furthermore, it also seems that 'struct rtattr'
can be specified at the end of the request as well. Is there any
documentation that describes this.

* RE: Clarification on rtnetlink requests
@ 2015-08-19 19:03 ` Anish Bhatt
From: Anish Bhatt @ 2015-08-19 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Chappelle, netdev

RTM_GETLINK uses ifinfomsg and RTM_GETADDR uses ifaddrmsg, see man 7 rtnetlink. struct  rtgenmsg is just a generic type, look at include/linux/rtnetlink.h
-Anish