* [tpm2] Re: Re-provision TPM
@ 2021-06-30 10:44 Anthony Arrascue
From: Anthony Arrascue @ 2021-06-30 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

Hi Luke,

Thank you. You are right. I should start reading the changelog more often. I have already faced problems in the past with different versions of the tools.
You made me noticed it would have been useful to mention the versions of the tools I was using in my example:

TPM2-TSS v. 2.4.x
TPM2-TOOLS v. 4.X

Best,
Anthony

From: analystcode @ 2022-02-17  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

Above steps worked like a charm!
Thank you

* [tpm2] Re: Re-provision TPM
@ 2021-06-30 20:57 Steven Clark
From: Steven Clark @ 2021-06-30 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

On Linux one of the absolute worst-case options to nuke a TPM and start
over is to use the sysfs PPI interface to the TPM:
Issue a clear request like:
echo 5 > /sys/class/tpm/tpm0/ppi/request
and reboot.  You then confirm that you really do want the BIOS to wipe the
TPM and it's done.  If something has set auths and you don't know what it
is, this a pretty decent last resort if you've got the support.

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.htm --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 461 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: Re-provision TPM
@ 2021-06-30 15:03 Dimitar Tomov
From: Dimitar Tomov @ 2021-06-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

Hi Luke, Hi Anthony,

The functionality differs a bit between tpm2_changeauth(TPM 2.0) and tpm2_takeownership (TPM 1.2)

TPM2_ChangeAuth helps to change the authorization of the hierarchies. You would be most interested in changing the auth of the OWNER hierarchy, where typically user keys are created. While the EK lives under the Endorsement Hierarchy that comes with more constrains.

About provisioning and EK, our developer's community has made a tutorial on Github here - https://github.com/tpm2dev/tpm.dev.tutorials/tree/master/Enrollment

Endorsement key and hierarchy described here - https://github.com/tpm2dev/tpm.dev.tutorials/tree/master/Intro#key-hierarchies

If you don't find some information in the tutorials, please feel free to open an issue on Github, just make sure it is on the right repo :) It is completely driven by developers.

Dimi Tomov
--
Founder of TPM.dev

________________________________

[...]

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 14191 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: Re-provision TPM
@ 2021-06-30 10:17 at rubynerd
From: at rubynerd @ 2021-06-30 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

wrote:

> A way of re-provisioning (on a different OS image) that worked for me is
> the following:
>

> *tpm2_startup*
>
> #This clears the persistent storage
>
> *tpm2_clear*
>
> #To change profile from ECC to RSA
>
> *sed -i 's/"profile_name": "P_ECCP256SHA256"/"profile_name":
> "P_RSA2048SHA256"/g' /usr/local/etc/tpm2-tss/fapi-config.json*
>
> #Delete existing keystores
>
> *rm -rf ~/.local/share/tpm2-tss/user/keystore*
>
> *rm -rf /usr/local/var/lib/tpm2-tss/system/keystore*
>
> #Before we provision we need to generate an EK
>
> *tpm2_createprimary -C e -g sha256 -G rsa -c endorsementprimary.ctx *
>
> *tpm2_create -C endorsementprimary.ctx -g sha256 -G rsa -u rsak.pub -r
> rsak.priv*
>
> *tpm2_load -C endorsementprimary.ctx -u rsak.pub -r rsak.priv -n rsak.name
> <http://rsak.name> -c rsak.ctx*
>
> *tpm2_evictcontrol -c rsak.ctx 0x81010001*
>
> *tss2_provision*
>

> Without the tpm2_createprimary I would get an error when I use
> tss2_provision (something like “key cannot be signed”. I cannot remember
> the error message, but it contained the word EK).
>

> Some questions that came to my mind:
>
>    1. Can all of this be done using only Fapi (no tpm2 commands)
>    2. Why is generating an EK required for provisioning? (which
>    documentation describes this step)
>    3. Previous versions of the tpm2-tools had also a *tpm2_takeownership*.
>    What happened with it and how to provision with owner’s authorization?
>

> Thank you very much for your comments.
>
> Best,
>
> Anthony

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 8730 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: Re-provision TPM
@ 2021-06-30 10:07 Anthony Arrascue
From: Anthony Arrascue @ 2021-06-30 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

A way of re-provisioning (on a different OS image) that worked for me is the following:

tpm2_startup
#This clears the persistent storage
tpm2_clear
#To change profile from ECC to RSA
sed -i 's/"profile_name": "P_ECCP256SHA256"/"profile_name": "P_RSA2048SHA256"/g' /usr/local/etc/tpm2-tss/fapi-config.json
#Delete existing keystores
rm -rf ~/.local/share/tpm2-tss/user/keystore
rm -rf /usr/local/var/lib/tpm2-tss/system/keystore
#Before we provision we need to generate an EK
tpm2_createprimary -C e -g sha256 -G rsa -c endorsementprimary.ctx
tpm2_create -C endorsementprimary.ctx -g sha256 -G rsa -u rsak.pub -r rsak.priv
tpm2_load -C endorsementprimary.ctx -u rsak.pub -r rsak.priv -n rsak.name -c rsak.ctx