* Release of Linux MTI-3.10-LTS kernel.
@ 2013-11-12 15:18 Steven J. Hill
From: Steven J. Hill @ 2013-11-12 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LMOL, LKML

Imagination Technologies is pleased to announce the release of its 3.10
LTS (Long-Term Support) MIPS kernel. The changelog below is based off
the stable Linux 3.10.14 release done by Greg Kroah-Hartman in commit
8c15abc94c737f9120d3d4a550abbcbb9be121f6 back on October 1st. The code
repository is hosted at the Linux/MIPS project GIT:

http://git.linux-mips.org/?p=linux-mti.git;a=summary

We look forward to any comments or feedback.

         The Imagination MIPS Kernel Team

---
Upstream:
* Move to Linux 3.10.14

Userland visible changes:
* Fix ability to perform a soft reset on SEAD-3.
* Add 64-bit FP register support on 32-bit platforms.
* Add FPU2 IEEE754-2008 SNaN support.
* Support proAptiv/interAptiv core Perf-events.

Boot setup related changes:
* Update GCMP detection on Malta.
* Disable L2 cache on SEAD-3.
* Always register R4K clock when selected.
* Set cpu_has_mmips only if SYS_SUPPORTS_MICROMIPS is defined.
* Do not write EVA bit in the config5 CP0 register.

New drivers and features:
* Add interAptiv CPU support.
* Add proAPTIV CPU support.
* Add EVA to support 3GB virtual addressing for MIPS32 cores.
* Add ERLite-3 platform support.
* Add 64-bit address support on MIPS64R2 cores.
* Add uImage build target.
* Add MIPS32R2 SYNC optimization.
* Send IPIs using the GIC.

Developer visible changes:
* Move declaration of Octeon function fixup_irqs() to header.
* Drop obsolete NR_CPUS_DEFAULT_{1,2} config options.
* Remove -fstack-protector from CFLAGS when building images.
* CMP support needs to select SMP as well.
* Add printing of ES bit when cache error occurs.
* Enable DEVTMPFS on Malta.
* Remove ttyS2 serial support on Malta.

Fixes:
* Fix IDE PIO size calculation in IDE driver.
* Fix TLBR-use hazards for R2 cores in the TLB reload handlers.
* Fix execution hazard during watchpoint register probe.
* Fix POOL16C minor opcode enumerations for microMIPS.
* Fix gic_set_affinity infinite loop for GIC controller.
* Fix improper definition of ISA exception bit for microMIPS.
* Skip walking indirection page for crashkernels for kdump.
* Fix random crashes while loading crashkernel for kexec.
* Fix SMP core calculations when using MT support.
* Fix accessing to per-cpu data when flushing the cache.
* Fix VGA_MAP_MEM macro.
* 74K/1074K erratum workarounds.
* Bugfix of stack trace dump.
* MIPS HIGHMEM fixes for cache aliasing and non-DMA I/O.
* Revert fixrange_init() limiting to the FIXMAP region.
* Bugfix of Malta PCI bridges loop.
* Fix forgotten preempt_enable() when CPU has inclusive pcaches.
* Fix GIC interrupt offsets for Malta.
* Fix bug in using flush_cache_vunmap.
* Fix encoding for UUSK AM bits on the SegCtl registers for EVA.

Cleanups and refactors:
* Refactor boot and boot/compressed rules.
* Refactor load/entry address calculations.
* Drop FRAME_POINTER codepath in mcount.S file.
* Rearrange PTE bits into fixed positions for MIPS32R2.
* Remove X bit in page tables for HEAP/BSS.
* Rework cache flush functions.
* Re-implement VPE functionality as writes to a pseudo-device.
* Fix more section mismatch warnings.
* Remove platform_set_drvdata() in SEAD-3 USB driver.

* Re: Release of Linux MTI-3.10-LTS kernel.
@ 2013-11-12 18:29 ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2013-11-12 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven J. Hill; +Cc: LMOL, LKML

2013/11/12 Steven J. Hill <Steven.Hill@imgtec.com>:
> Imagination Technologies is pleased to announce the release of its 3.10 LTS
> (Long-Term Support) MIPS kernel. The changelog below is based off the stable
> Linux 3.10.14 release done by Greg Kroah-Hartman in commit
> 8c15abc94c737f9120d3d4a550abbcbb9be121f6 back on October 1st. The code
> repository is hosted at the Linux/MIPS project GIT:
>
> http://git.linux-mips.org/?p=linux-mti.git;a=summary
>
> We look forward to any comments or feedback.

Nice job! Do you have a rough idea of the delta between your LTS
kernel and the current status of mainline/pending submissions?

Thanks!
--
Florian

* Re: Release of Linux MTI-3.10-LTS kernel.
@ 2013-11-12 21:02 ` Aaro Koskinen
From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2013-11-12 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven J. Hill; +Cc: LMOL, LKML

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 09:18:18AM -0600, Steven J. Hill wrote:
> Imagination Technologies is pleased to announce the release of its
> 3.10 LTS (Long-Term Support) MIPS kernel. The changelog below is
> based off the stable Linux 3.10.14 release done by Greg
> Kroah-Hartman in commit
> 8c15abc94c737f9120d3d4a550abbcbb9be121f6 back on October 1st. The
> code repository is hosted at the Linux/MIPS project GIT:
>
> http://git.linux-mips.org/?p=linux-mti.git;a=summary
>
> We look forward to any comments or feedback.

Why multiple MIPS stable trees? There's already also
http://git.linux-mips.org/?p=ralf/linux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.10-stable?

Also 3.10.14 sounds quite old. Are you sure you are not missing any
important fixes?

A.

* Re: Release of Linux MTI-3.10-LTS kernel.
@ 2013-11-13 16:24   ` James Hogan
From: James Hogan @ 2013-11-13 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli; +Cc: Steven J. Hill, LMOL, LKML

On 12/11/13 18:29, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> 2013/11/12 Steven J. Hill <Steven.Hill@imgtec.com>:
>> Imagination Technologies is pleased to announce the release of its 3.10 LTS
>> (Long-Term Support) MIPS kernel. The changelog below is based off the stable
>> Linux 3.10.14 release done by Greg Kroah-Hartman in commit
>> 8c15abc94c737f9120d3d4a550abbcbb9be121f6 back on October 1st. The code
>> repository is hosted at the Linux/MIPS project GIT:
>>
>> http://git.linux-mips.org/?p=linux-mti.git;a=summary
>>
>> We look forward to any comments or feedback.
>
> Nice job! Do you have a rough idea of the delta between your LTS
> kernel and the current status of mainline/pending submissions?

Hi Florian,

Regarding the delta, hopefully the following stats give a rough idea:

I see 105 patches in the mti branch with the following total diffstat:

With the help of git log's cherry-mark feature I count 66 of those
patches corresponding to a patch in mainline since v3.10 (the largest of
which is Aaro's Octeon USB HCD support patch, with 9992 insertions). 42
of these upstream patches were authored by somebody at IMG.

Out of the rest (patches not in mainline), the total insertions is 8175
and total deletions is 826. The largest of these patches by
insertions are:

1) 4e5dd4434d94 MIPS: MIPS32R2 Segment/EVA support upto 3GB

2) 0d6f34364a6e MIPS: VPE: Re-implement as writes to a pseudo-device.

3) 6442e3516c84 MIPS: -mfp64 for abi=o32 ELF binaries support.

4) 65b4e451fc32 MIPS: Add proAPTIV CPU support.

I'm optimistic the out-of-mainline delta will drop significantly over time.

Cheers
James

* Re: Release of Linux MTI-3.10-LTS kernel.
@ 2013-11-13 16:52   ` Steven J. Hill
From: Steven J. Hill @ 2013-11-13 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaro Koskinen; +Cc: LMOL, LKML

On 11/12/2013 03:02 PM, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 09:18:18AM -0600, Steven J. Hill wrote:
>> Imagination Technologies is pleased to announce the release of its
>> 3.10 LTS (Long-Term Support) MIPS kernel. The changelog below is
>> based off the stable Linux 3.10.14 release done by Greg
>> Kroah-Hartman in commit
>> 8c15abc94c737f9120d3d4a550abbcbb9be121f6 back on October 1st. The
>> code repository is hosted at the Linux/MIPS project GIT:
>>
>> http://git.linux-mips.org/?p=linux-mti.git;a=summary
>>
>> We look forward to any comments or feedback.
>
> Why multiple MIPS stable trees? There's already also
> http://git.linux-mips.org/?p=ralf/linux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.10-stable?

We track 'linux-stable' because the ones on LMO have too much lag.

> Also 3.10.14 sounds quite old. Are you sure you are not missing any
> important fixes?

We ran this kernel on 20 different board/core combinations. They ran our
stress test suite continuously for over a week at 100% load with no
failures. We have high confidence in this particular release. There are
always bugs, so your question is somewhat ridiculous. Regarding age, go
ask the Android team why the latest KitKat release is running a 3.4.0
kernel and not the latest and greatest.

* Re: Release of Linux MTI-3.10-LTS kernel.
@ 2013-11-14 13:27   ` Steven J. Hill
From: Steven J. Hill @ 2013-11-14 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaro Koskinen; +Cc: LMOL, LKML

Hey Aaro.

I wanted to apologize for my earlier email that could have been much
shorter without being snarky. In short, we have a long test cycle and
that we are tracking LTS support kernels and will be doing regular
updates. A few months ago 3.10 was chosen as the next LTS version. We
decided for stability and continued bug fixes to go with it.

Steve

* Re: Release of Linux MTI-3.10-LTS kernel.
@ 2013-11-15 19:05     ` Aaro Koskinen
From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2013-11-15 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven J. Hill; +Cc: LMOL, LKML

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 07:27:39AM -0600, Steven J. Hill wrote:
> I wanted to apologize for my earlier email that could have been much
> shorter without being snarky. In short, we have a long test cycle
> and that we are tracking LTS support kernels and will be doing
> regular updates. A few months ago 3.10 was chosen as the next LTS
> version. We decided for stability and continued bug fixes to go with
> it.

No worries. I was actually curious about, and should have asked directly,
if and how you are planning to track the long term kernels in the
future. I look forward seeing how this tree will work in longer term,
it's also great that someone is testing MIPS kernel with such a wide
range of boards.

Thanks,

A.

* Re: Release of Linux MTI-3.10-LTS kernel.
@ 2014-07-07  7:32 ` Max Filippov
From: Max Filippov @ 2014-07-07  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Steven J. Hill <Steven.Hill@imgtec.com> wrote:
> Imagination Technologies is pleased to announce the release of its 3.10 LTS
> (Long-Term Support) MIPS kernel. The changelog below is based off the stable
> Linux 3.10.14 release done by Greg Kroah-Hartman in commit
> 8c15abc94c737f9120d3d4a550abbcbb9be121f6 back on October 1st. The code
> repository is hosted at the Linux/MIPS project GIT:
>
> http://git.linux-mips.org/?p=linux-mti.git;a=summary
>
> We look forward to any comments or feedback.
>
>         The Imagination MIPS Kernel Team
[...]
> Fixes:
> * MIPS HIGHMEM fixes for cache aliasing and non-DMA I/O.

I'm adding HIGHMEM support to xtensa cores with aliasing cache, and found
that the above patch makes generic kmap cache-color aware. Is there a plan
on upstreaming that patch? I can help with upstreaming of the generic part of
it if there's no such plan.

--
Thanks.
-- Max