* How to modify u-boot in Root File System rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot ?
@ 2013-11-16 15:24 Jack lemon
From: Jack lemon @ 2013-11-16 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi everybody,

I worked with P1022DS-PB and then designed my custom board according to its
documents. For sd card I adjust u-boot to 115200 baud rate and compile it
with ELDK independently. However in Nor-flash we haven't u-boot.bin
independently. For Nor-Flash I need to adjust baud rate in .ext2.gz.u-boot
image, because for Nor-Flash only kernel,rootfs,dtb files are needed.
How can I modify u-boot in fsl-image-minimal-p1022ds.ext2.gz.u-boot for
adjusting baud rate to 115200?

* Re: How to modify u-boot in Root File System rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot ?
@ 2013-11-19  7:32 ` Jack Lemon
From: Jack Lemon @ 2013-11-19  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

It wasn't any help??!! really??!!

* Re: How to modify u-boot in Root File System rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot ?
@ 2013-11-19  8:56 ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2013-11-19  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack lemon, yocto

On 16/11/2013 16:24, Jack lemon wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I worked with P1022DS-PB and then designed my custom board according to its
> documents. For sd card I adjust u-boot to 115200 baud rate and compile it
> with ELDK independently. However in Nor-flash we haven't u-boot.bin
> independently. For Nor-Flash I need to adjust baud rate in .ext2.gz.u-boot
> image, because for Nor-Flash only kernel,rootfs,dtb files are needed.
> How can I modify u-boot in fsl-image-minimal-p1022ds.ext2.gz.u-boot for
> adjusting baud rate to 115200?

Is it not enough to add SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0" (or which serial
you use as console) to your machine conf ?

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

* Re: How to modify u-boot in Root File System rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot ?
@ 2013-11-19  9:59   ` Jack Lemon
From: Jack Lemon @ 2013-11-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Stefano Babic <sbabic@...> writes:

> Is it not enough to add SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0" (or which serial
> you use as console) to your machine conf ?
>
> Best regards,
> Stefano Babic

Thank you Stefano for your reply.
Does it not any need to edit u-boot source code? just adding SERIAL_CONSOLE
= "115200 ttyS0" to local.conf?

* Re: How to modify u-boot in Root File System rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot ?
@ 2013-11-19 10:10     ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2013-11-19 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Lemon, yocto

On 19/11/2013 10:59, Jack Lemon wrote:
> Stefano Babic <sbabic@...> writes:
>

>> Is it not enough to add SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0" (or which serial
>> you use as console) to your machine conf ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Stefano Babic
>>

> Thank you Stefano for your reply.
> Does it not any need to edit u-boot source code? just adding SERIAL_CONSOLE
> = "115200 ttyS0" to local.conf?

You asked to change your rootfs (initrd, I presume)
fsl-image-minimal-p1022ds.ext2.gz.u-boot, and setting SERIAL_CONSOLE
adjusts the parameters for inittab.

If you want to change u-boot as well (but this is outside
fsl-image-minimal-*) and you do not want to compile it outside Yocto,
you have to put the patch you already have in your bsp directory and
adjust your u-boot receipe.

@ 2013-11-19 10:13     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2013-11-19 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Lemon; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013, Jack Lemon wrote:

> Stefano Babic <sbabic@...> writes:
>

> > Is it not enough to add SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0" (or which serial
> > you use as console) to your machine conf ?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Stefano Babic
> >

> Thank you Stefano for your reply.
> Does it not any need to edit u-boot source code? just adding SERIAL_CONSOLE
> = "115200 ttyS0" to local.conf?

  the current documentation states that SERIAL_CONSOLE has been
deprecated in favour of the newer SERIAL_CONSOLES:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-SERIAL_CONSOLE

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: How to modify u-boot in Root File System rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot ?
@ 2013-11-19 11:25       ` Jack
From: Jack @ 2013-11-19 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Stefano Babic <sbabic@...> writes:

> On 19/11/2013 10:59, Jack Lemon wrote:
> > Stefano Babic <sbabic <at> ...> writes:
> >

> >> Is it not enough to add SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0" (or which serial
> >> you use as console) to your machine conf ?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Stefano Babic
> >>

> > Thank you Stefano for your reply.
> > Does it not any need to edit u-boot source code? just adding SERIAL_CONSOLE
> > = "115200 ttyS0" to local.conf?
>
> You asked to change your rootfs (initrd, I presume)
> fsl-image-minimal-p1022ds.ext2.gz.u-boot, and setting SERIAL_CONSOLE
> adjusts the parameters for inittab.
>
> If you want to change u-boot as well (but this is outside
> fsl-image-minimal-*) and you do not want to compile it outside Yocto,
> you have to put the patch you already have in your bsp directory and
> adjust your u-boot receipe.
>
> Best regards
> Stefano Babic

For Nor-Flash we have only three files(kernel,rootfs,dtb). Where is u-boot?
I think it is inside the fsl-image-minimal-p1022ds.ext2.gz.u-boot rootfs
file. Is it true?

So, for modifying u-boot to adujst serial boaudrate, I understand that I can
add SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0" to my local.conf according to your reply
and it doesnt need to modify u-boot source code.

Am I in the right place?

* Re: How to modify u-boot in Root File System rootfs.ext2.gz.u-boot ?
@ 2013-11-19 12:10         ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2013-11-19 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack, yocto

Hi Jack,

On 19/11/2013 12:25, Jack wrote:

> For Nor-Flash we have only three files(kernel,rootfs,dtb). Where is u-boot?
> I think it is inside the fsl-image-minimal-p1022ds.ext2.gz.u-boot rootfs
> file. Is it true?

I do not think so, but you are the best to answer this question: unzip
the file and check inside.

However, even if it contains a u-boot.bin or whatever is your u-boot
file, you have to extract it to write the bootloader at the right address.

In most cases, you will see a separate image for u-boot in
tmp/deploy/images diurectory.

> So, for modifying u-boot to adujst serial boaudrate,

No. To modify the serial console under linux.

> I understand that I can
> add SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0" to my local.conf according to your reply

See Robert reply. SERIAL_CONSOLE is deprecated, uses SERIAL_CONSOLES
instead.

> and it doesnt need to modify u-boot source code.
>
> Am I in the right place?

Mmmhh..there is something missing. Usually you have a separate file for
u-boot. Of course, if u-boot is part of the filesystem, you cannot use
for a first installation because u-boot must be copied at a specific
address.

@ 2013-11-19 15:04           ` jack lemon
From: jack lemon @ 2013-11-19 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Babic; +Cc: yocto