* [U-Boot] U boot booting issues on soft reset
@ 2009-08-08  5:29 alfred steele
From: alfred steele @ 2009-08-08  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi All,

When i do a soft reset or issue a reboot command from linux, uboot is
unable to boot,getting stuck .
Uncompressing Linux.............................................................
............................................... done, booting the kernel.

But on  a power cycle, U-boot seems to be booting kernel just fine
without issues . Initially ,  i  thought the U-boot config was not
persistent but looks like  the U-boot'd doing something weird.
What might be the issue?

Does anyone have clues/hints?
-Alfred.

* [U-Boot] U boot booting issues on soft reset
@ 2009-08-08  6:34 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-08  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear alfred steele,

In message <528f13590908072229t65c82d2x1632f530a57956a1@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> When i do a soft reset or issue a reboot command from linux, uboot is
> unable to boot,getting stuck .
> Uncompressing Linux.............................................................
> ............................................... done, booting the kernel.
>
> But on  a power cycle, U-boot seems to be booting kernel just fine
> without issues . Initially ,  i  thought the U-boot config was not
> persistent but looks like  the U-boot'd doing something weird.
> What might be the issue?

Either U-Boot does not perform a real processor reset on your
platform, and/or your system does not really reset all peripherals.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Imagination is more important than knowledge.      -- Albert Einstein

* [U-Boot] U boot booting issues on soft reset
@ 2009-08-08 13:34   ` alfred steele
From: alfred steele @ 2009-08-08 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Wolfgang

>> Either U-Boot does not perform a real processor reset on your
> platform, and/or your system does not really reset all peripherals.
THe issue of a reboot command sure is just a processor reset , it does
not reset the peripherals including the NAND i guess.
Could it be a problem with the NAND boot code. Or would it be in
lowLevelINit. S for  our platform. But if that  would have been the
case, it should not have gone till the point it starts uncompressing
the kernel. as you see in my earlier email.
Redboot just works fine with the same sequence of issuing a Linux
"reboot"  everytime. Could that be something wrong with the kernel
image.

-Munro.

* [U-Boot] U boot booting issues on soft reset
@ 2009-08-08 13:37   ` alfred steele
From: alfred steele @ 2009-08-08 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> Either U-Boot does not perform a real processor reset on your
> platform, and/or your system does not really reset all peripherals.

The issue of a reboot command sure is just a processor reset , it does
not reset the peripherals including the NAND i guess.
Could it be a problem with the NAND boot code. Or would it be in
lowLevelINit. S for  our platform. But if that  would have been the
case, it should not have gone till the point it starts uncompressing
the kernel. as you see in my earlier email.
Redboot just works fine with the same sequence of issuing a Linux
"reboot"  everytime. Could that be something wrong with the kernel
image.
Thanks,
Alfred

* [U-Boot] U boot booting issues on soft reset
@ 2009-08-08 18:23     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-08-08 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Alfred,

In message <528f13590908080634w6a0e143xf21bd50ff0a3b763@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> >> Either U-Boot does not perform a real processor reset on your
> > platform, and/or your system does not really reset all peripherals.
> THe issue of a reboot command sure is just a processor reset , it does
> not reset the peripherals including the NAND i guess.

That is by far not so sure. A reasonable hardware design will make
sure that a CPU reset will also caus eall peripherals, and of course
especially the boot device, to be reset, too.

> Could it be a problem with the NAND boot code. Or would it be in
> lowLevelINit. S for  our platform. But if that  would have been the
> case, it should not have gone till the point it starts uncompressing
> the kernel. as you see in my earlier email.

What can we say? We don't know anything about your platform...

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Die meisten Menschen pflegen im Kindesalter vom Zeigen auf Gegenst?n-
de (Mausbewegung) und "ga" sagen  (Mausklick)  abzukommen,  zugunsten
eines  m?chtigeren  und langwierig zu erlernenden Tools (Sprache).
                             -- Achim Linder in de.comp.os.linux.misc