* [U-Boot] Incorrect board init with 256M RAM on MX31
@ 2009-08-16  1:00 alfred steele
From: alfred steele @ 2009-08-16  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi All,

When i use 128M  in my board configuration and pass the same to he
kernel using bd_info , the linux kernel just boots up fine.  But when
i change the config to put 256M which is the actual physical  DDR size
on our board,
the userspace crashes because of a "unhandled page fault"  via  Unable
to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference".
First off, perhaps the U-boot is not initializing the memory properly.
 Although i thought, the board specific "dram_init" does it with the
correct config params picked up from the board config file.

I change the following in the board specific config:
#define CONFIG_NR_DRAM_BANKS    2
#define PHYS_SDRAM_1        CSD0_BASE
#define PHYS_SDRAM_1_SIZE   (256 * 1024 * 1024)

What else does the uboot  need to convey to the kernel.
I am using Freescale MX31 board.
Any hints/clues?
Thanks in advance for your help.
-Alfred.

* [U-Boot] Incorrect board init with 256M RAM on MX31
@ 2009-08-16 11:39 ` Magnus Lilja
From: Magnus Lilja @ 2009-08-16 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi

2009/8/16 alfred steele <alfred.jaquez@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> When i use 128M ?in my board configuration and pass the same to he
> kernel using bd_info , the linux kernel just boots up fine. ?But when
> i change the config to put 256M which is the actual physical ?DDR size
> on our board,
> the userspace crashes because of a "unhandled page fault" ?via ?Unable
> to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference".
> First off, perhaps the U-boot is not initializing the memory properly.
> ?Although i thought, the board specific "dram_init" does it with the
> correct config params picked up from the board config file.

That depends on how your dram_init looks like, none of the i.MX31
dram_init's I've looked at handles more than one DRAM bank.

> I change the following in the board specific config:
> #define CONFIG_NR_DRAM_BANKS ? ?2
> #define PHYS_SDRAM_1 ? ? ? ?CSD0_BASE
> #define PHYS_SDRAM_1_SIZE ? (256 * 1024 * 1024)

Not that I've been working with multiple banks myself but if you have
2 banks then my guess is that you have to supply the start address and
size of each of the banks.

> What else does the uboot ?need to convey to the kernel.
> I am using Freescale MX31 board.
> Any hints/clues?

You need to setup the SDRAM controller in i.MX31 to reflect your
actual DRAM configuration.

It also depends on if you have one 256M DRAM or two 128M.

/Magnus